Does plasti dip prevent spray paint to melt foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's take a minute and break down plasti dip and spray paint, and how they react with foam.

Plasti dip and spray paint are both powered by aerosol. Certain types of foam (styrofoam) are broken down and react with aerosol sprays. Other types of foam, such as eva and craft foam, do not get broken down by aerosol. Therefore you can spray paint right onto them.

Plasti dip is great for filling tiny bubbles that are present on foam, and makes for a good surface for the paint to adhere to (I specifically use krylon fusion, as it is designed to adhere to plastic/rubbery surfaces).

Hello. I need to know if plasti dip stops spray paint from melting foam.

In most cases, it isn't the actual paint that breaks down the under material. It is usually the chemical used to propel the paint agents to the surface and bond it. But, I have see some spray paints break down certain foams, but haven't seen any of the EVA foams get broken down by anything.

Now, Plasti-Dip - I LOVE this stuff. I have dipped my entire car in the stuff, my truck, my rims, my mailbox, my HydroFlask and anything else. This stuff is great and it does great things for foam. Spray paint right over top of it!

Quick tips Heat the foam with a heat gun first to close up all those pores. Apply first coat of plasti dip very lightly. Afterwards do two coats or more then paints of all kinds can be applied.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Quick tips Heat the foam with a heat gun first to close up all those pores. Apply first coat of plasti dip very lightly. Afterwards do two coats or more then paints of all kinds can be applied.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

TRUE DAT! First coat very light, maybe about 30% coverage. Then the next coats overlap 50% as you spray. If the spray comes out in speckles (dots) clean the sprayer. If you go to www.dipyourcar.com and look for the special nozzle, it works wonders. Also, while there, take a look at the color shift pearls and chameleon paints - they are pretty neat. I am hoping to do a set (or at least a piece to see what it looks like) in one of the color shifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back