Warhammer 40K Space Wolves Marine Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alkatraz

Jr Member
After much deliberation and thinking I have finally come to a decision on what my next build will be, a veteran space marine from Warhammer 40K. And after even more thinking I have decided for my marine to be a member of the space wolves chapter, for those unfamiliar with the franchise, these are basically 8 foot tall angry space vikings.
This time I will be using foam instead of Pepakura + glass like my spartan build, this will cut down the weight and allow for very nice curves that are common in Space Marine armour.
I plan to get the suit to be as close to the actual size of a marine as possible, so I am aiming for a scale of 2.3 metres in height, somewhat ambitious :)

Obviously for such a massive build it will take me some time to gather materials, prototype some parts, find reference images and draw out templates but today I drew out a quick plan of what I want it to look like:
12042079_889474674469415_564889021_n.jpg

And the colour scheme:
Armor_Space_Wolves.png

I'm also learning blacksmithing and metal casting, so I might even use these skills for some parts of the marine build.
Stay tuned :D

And so it begins...
I've purchased some of my materials, not a whole lot, but enough to get started. And I've begun working on my helmet. I have plenty of tools and materials left over from my last two builds. Plus now that I am smithing I have a whetstone to sharpen my blunt foam cutting knife blades instead of having to buy new ones, and that's awesome.
12067258_890212344395648_1970255224_n.jpg 12064201_890178177732398_21806172_n.jpg 12033281_890178144399068_268642336_n.jpg

Over this weekend I managed to finish the base shape for the helmet, it still needs plenty of details and a general clean up before I can say it is anywhere near finished, but for my second foam helmet I think it turned out alright.
12077057_892902557459960_1038468840_n.jpg 12080989_892902520793297_272605417_n.jpg 11802077_892902514126631_705514036_n.jpg

First time I've seen a Space Wolves-pattern Mk VII Astartes armour set. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

The Emperor protects, brother!

Tonight I'll print off all the torso templates and start working on them throughout the week:
3.PNG
2.PNG
1.PNG

I figure I'll build all the pieces in a basic way first, like with the helmet and then move on to details and tidying up. That way I have plenty of time to figure out stilts, limb extensions and various other fancy systems. Once I've got that figured out then I'll continue to make it look pretty. I've been looking at some other marine builds on the RPF site, and I think I'll go for a PVC pipe skeleton inside most parts.

So my process will be: Make blank suit, then the skeleton, stilts and hands, then detail and fixing it up, then sealing and painting.

I just need to make sure I can wear it properly before I get too far into other stuff.

I'm actually just about to get started on a Khorne Berzerker, so I'll definitely be following this build for tips! One question is how much foam did you get/think you will need?

One question is how much foam did you get/think you will need?
To be honest I have no idea, I just bought 5 packs of 4 foam mats and I'm working through them. My experience with foam is limited to some parts of my spartan armour and all of my old ODST build, and I didn't really know what I was doing for that one. I'm guessing I will need easily double what I have at the moment, plus some craft foam for details and stuff.
One thing I did pick up a while ago, and I will be able to use now, is one of those large bags of childrens foam tiles. They are all colourful and have letters and numbers that pop out of them, around 25cm x 25cm. There are heaps of them in the bag, and they all have different textures and patterns on them, great for specific details like grips on guns etc. I recommend getting them if they're cheap.

If you haven't seen Pilerud's Blood Angels armour set, it's well-worth your time reading into it. He has a build thread, which is located HERE, and his resources pack is located HERE.

Knowledge will arm you better than any bolter or blade, brother. Use it wisely.

If you haven't seen Pilerud's Blood Angels armour set, it's well-worth your time reading into it. He has a build thread, which is located HERE, and his resources pack is located HERE.

Knowledge will arm you better than any bolter or blade, brother. Use it wisely.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out, I remember seeing this build being used as a reference for a Crimson Fists build I was looking at but I never went and found it.
I wish there were more finished full scale marine builds out there.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out, I remember seeing this build being used as a reference for a Crimson Fists build I was looking at but I never went and found it.
I wish there were more finished full scale marine builds out there.

You're welcome. And, I'd love to try one myself at some point, maybe after my Gen-2 MJOLNIR build.

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the new Fallout 4 trailer but I think I might try to implement a system of getting into my marine armour that is similar to the power armour in the video, still thinking about it but maybe...
1.PNG

sweet nice to see another wolf brother in the making :D11889673_10153242537933208_1642702355833812011_n.jpg ive been working on mine on and off for the past year 11880564_10153241970293208_885865338857136195_n.jpg any help i can be just shout :D

sweet nice to see another wolf brother in the making :D ive been working on mine on and off for the past year any help i can be just shout :D

Awesome build, I'll let you know if I run into any road blocks along the way. How tall did your armour end up being?

Not a dead thread, just resting for a while.
I just finished setting up a new living space, and intensely planning how I am going to make the frame that this armour will sit on. Should have some pictures of new parts in a couple of days and work can continue.

I have made a the basic forms of the codpiece and the abdominal parts, as well as the belt buckle, they are huge, and because of this the pieces are quite bendable and in no way rigid, this can be seen in the abdominal piece. I'll probably cast some form of aluminium skeleton to go inside each part to make sure it keeps its intended shape. I've also messed around with some ideas for the armour frame plus some aluminium hand extensions and I figure I will need all the basic foam parts before I can start scaling and building it properly. An Xbox 360 controller is used for scale, only thing I could think of at the time.

plan 1.jpg plan 2.jpg plan 3.jpg
7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg
9.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg
13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

I have made a the basic forms of the codpiece and the abdominal parts, as well as the belt buckle, they are huge, and because of this the pieces are quite bendable and in no way rigid, this can be seen in the abdominal piece. I'll probably cast some form of aluminium skeleton to go inside each part to make sure it keeps its intended shape. I've also messed around with some ideas for the armour frame plus some aluminium hand extensions and I figure I will need all the basic foam parts before I can start scaling and building it properly. An Xbox 360 controller is used for scale, only thing I could think of at the time.
View attachment 23058 View attachment 23059 View attachment 23060
View attachment 23061 View attachment 23062 View attachment 23063
View attachment 23064 View attachment 23065 View attachment 23066
View attachment 23067 View attachment 23068 View attachment 23069
your pics are boke, Sir Alka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back