Best Method For Mounting Weapons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullboy134

Hello everyone!
I was doing some research into weapon mounts for Halo armor types. I found a large number of methods, such as magnets, velcro, straps, hooks, etc. I was just wondering what everyone thinks the best method would be for weapon mounts.

I'm hoping to build an MA5C once I finish my ODST armor, so I'm just curious as to what methods I could potentially use.
Thanks!

I know a lot of people like to use magnets. You'll need rare earth magnets (Neodymium) for the best results. Be cautious when working with them though, as the bigger ones are known to cause hand injuries if you're not careful.

Seems everyone & their brother has been asking this lately, so I'll go ahead & give the LONG answer into my thoughts on the issue:

VERY rarely are magnets alone good enough, no matter what the strength is. I personally wouldn't trust ANY of my props to magnets alone, they could fall off your back or leg & get broken (ask Master Groves what happened to his 7ft light rifle sometime -shudders at the thought-). Also, YES, it looks cool to reach back & pop the thing off your back to pose for a picture, but think how easy it would be for someone else to do the same thing in a crowd & now you're out a prop that you put a couple hundred hours of work into or worse, several hundred dollars, personally, I'm not risking that, no matter HOW cool it looks. Magnets work great as a secondary attachment option, but I HIGHLY recommend something a little more secure ESPECIALLY at a con.

When it comes time to do mine, I plan on using a keyhole faster & a post screw. What's a keyhole fastener? Think of those chain/slide lock things on the inside of the door at your house, but a keyhole fastener is only about 2in long. My plan is to put the post screw (a.k.a. Chicago Screw) on the back of my armor near my shoulder & then glue the keyhole faster to my gun near the stock somewhere, then VERY strong neodium magnets will then be used to hold the front of the gun at the correct angle on my back. Chances are, I won't be able to get the thing on/off my back without assistance, but then again, neither will anyone else.

The magnet thing is simply an immature dream, any REAL costumer will tell you to think twice about using magnets alone.

Hope this helps!

Clips are also an option. Or combining rails with magnets and/or clips. Use ALL THE THINGS!!!

I'll have to take a look into that! Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Seems everyone & their brother has been asking this lately, so I'll go ahead & give the LONG answer into my thoughts on the issue:

VERY rarely are magnets alone good enough, no matter what the strength is. I personally wouldn't trust ANY of my props to magnets alone, they could fall off your back or leg & get broken (ask Master Groves what happened to his 7ft light rifle sometime -shudders at the thought-). Also, YES, it looks cool to reach back & pop the thing off your back to pose for a picture, but think how easy it would be for someone else to do the same thing in a crowd & now you're out a prop that you put a couple hundred hours of work into or worse, several hundred dollars, personally, I'm not risking that, no matter HOW cool it looks. Magnets work great as a secondary attachment option, but I HIGHLY recommend something a little more secure ESPECIALLY at a con.

When it comes time to do mine, I plan on using a keyhole faster & a post screw. What's a keyhole fastener? Think of those chain/slide lock things on the inside of the door at your house, but a keyhole fastener is only about 2in long. My plan is to put the post screw (a.k.a. Chicago Screw) on the back of my armor near my shoulder & then glue the keyhole faster to my gun near the stock somewhere, then VERY strong neodium magnets will then be used to hold the front of the gun at the correct angle on my back. Chances are, I won't be able to get the thing on/off my back without assistance, but then again, neither will anyone else.

The magnet thing is simply an immature dream, any REAL costumer will tell you to think twice about using magnets alone.

Hope this helps!

I've never heard of this being done before. I'd be interested to see what it looks like when it's finished.

I use the keyhole fastener/Post Screw method to hang the backpack on my Republic Commando & it works REALLY well...When I get to that point, I'll be posting it up on my WIP thread so make sure to keep an eye out for it

I have been using magnets (alone) for my prop weapon for the last 4 years. I have had NO issues with it falling off or being stolen from my back. In fact the weapon holds on so strongly, that most who have tried to remove it were very surprise as to how strong it holds. (They failed in the attempt to remove it and I could feel it) Yet, I still have the ability to remove it myself with out any problems.

What you really need to do is experiment with the rare earth magnets and mounting options.

Cheers!

I have been using magnets (alone) for my prop weapon for the last 4 years. I have had NO issues with it falling off or being stolen from my back. In fact the weapon holds on so strongly, that most who have tried to remove it were very surprise as to how strong it holds. (They failed in the attempt to remove it and I could feel it) Yet, I still have the ability to remove it myself with out any problems.

What you really need to do is experiment with the rare earth magnets and mounting options.

Cheers!

what kind of magnets do you guys use? Any way we could get a link to the specific ones? Are they on Amazon or special site? This is the trouble I'm having. Not sure what the best strength or where to buy something like this. I don't want to spend the money and end up getting the wrong kind and being out $20 on something I could have used elsewhere.

I had this trouble with fans. Everyone just says "get PC fans!" well, of course... but which kind? There are thousands to choose from! Who has had good results with a certain brand? Best place to buy from? Best price?Etc. The first ones I bought were from Radioshack and were terrible. I ended up buying these and had great results(after hours of searching). (sorry a bit off topic)

I use magnets too, I buy mine from home depot, they have several sizes, but I use the nickel sized neodymium rare earth magnets. You have to experiment with how many you need to hold a specific weapon, but so far they've worked quite well for me

what kind of magnets do you guys use? Any way we could get a link to the specific ones? Are they on Amazon or special site? This is the trouble I'm having. Not sure what the best strength or where to buy something like this. I don't want to spend the money and end up getting the wrong kind and being out $20 on something I could have used elsewhere.

I had this trouble with fans. Everyone just says "get PC fans!" well, of course... but which kind? There are thousands to choose from! Who has had good results with a certain brand? Best place to buy from? Best price?Etc. The first ones I bought were from Radioshack and were terrible. I ended up buying these and had great results(after hours of searching). (sorry a bit off topic)

I use the rare earth magnets from defective/failed computer hard drives. Each 3.5" HDD usually has 2 magnets in them. They are conveniently flat and mind boggling strong.

It just occured to me that cardboard may not be able to stand up to the force from the magnets and the weight of the rifle.. maybe reinforce it or use foam or something?

i use a holster with magnets holding the gun in place. its quite east but some rare earth magnets it will work great!. (note high temps such as a glue gun can de magnetize them)

If you notice right before the Rookie slides down the elevator wires in ODST he appears to clip his weapon to his belt. It may be that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back