Crackers Don't Matter (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenwolf

Ok, so.... the wife and I are pretty big Farscape fans and for this Halloween she very strongly suggested I go as John Crichton from the Cracker's Don't Matter Episode
Crackers1.jpg
So this costume will break down into a few pieces:
- the leather cap and goggles
- the cape and Shield
- the "cloaking device"
- and the qualta blade.... and less than a month to pull it all off..... lol

I decided to start with the qualta blade, Ka D'argo's favored weapon. Finding a decent image and information on this piece was rather difficult, but i believe I found enough information to make a decent enough prop.
This is a cap of a prop someone else made, and hopefully what mine will look like when I am done.
qualta.jpg
From there I opened up Sketchup and modelled it in layers with the intent of doing a buildup with MDF and bondo (I have no idea what I am doing, I'll be honest.... lol ) The intent is to use 1/4" MDF layers for the core layers and 1/8" hardboard for some of the outer details
Qualta2.jpg
After learning that I had bad info on the size, I had to rescale my layers and reprint my templates..... only to have the printer nearly run out of ink on me. The templates are printed on cardstock.
IMG_20151001_053825330.jpg

And this is where I completely speculate on what comes next as I am completely winging it and havent fully researched methods yet, so if I am making a mistep please feel free to scream "You idiot! don't do that!" and throw a large heavy object at me ;)

Rough plan for what comes next:
- lay out templates on MDF and rough cut out forms with a dremel, jigsaw, and router table
- clean up layers and bond together with woodglue, clamping and allowing to cure.
- use dremel and power sander to redefine shape into proper form.
- bondo to fill in mistakes detail areas, sand paint,

It's a daunting task, but I am looking forward to it. Any thoughts?

Ok, so one week in and I've made some progress at least.
IMG_20151009_145614929_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151009_145558033_HDR.jpg

There are only a few pieces left to cut out before I begin cleanup and bonding. I'm really wishing I had added peg holes to the template to better help me line up the different layers. Ah well.... good to know for next time.
My workbench has been a pair of TV trays with a spare MDF board laid across them set up on my apartments rather tiny patio. It works, but it certainly did a number on my back. So wish I had space to set up my workbench.... :(

On the other side of things, I started on the modeling one of the other props, seen here:
cloak thingie 2.png
I managed to build a scale model of it in Sketchup. i've printed out the templates for the structure pieces, just need to get them on a material that will be sturdy enough. The rings are easy enough, just a copper tube for the inner one and sprinkler line for the larger one. Still haven't figured out how I'm going to unfold and pep the center piece.
Traltixx's Dissapearing Device.jpg

Well... That's all for now.

Looking really good so far. I think what you have planned with the layered mdf and bondo sounds like a good way to go. It'll respond well to a dremmel to for detailing. If you need to get sharp edges or file a bevel on your mdf then a light soaking with some drops of cyanoacrylate 'superglue' works wonders... if you dust / sprinkle on baking soda (100% sodium bicarbonate, not to be confused with baking 'powder') then it acts as a 'kicker'... I use it to fill in gaps in epoxy resin on chipboard or mdf etc.
Keep it up.

Thanks for the tip Squirreltape! I actually did not know that about superglue and baking soda.
Only having 2-3 hrs a week is causing this project to drag on. Obviously I didn't make my Halloween deadline. Oh well, there's always next year. In the mean time I'll keep grinding away as i can.
IMG_20151104_181526251.jpg
I've rounded out the grip to a comfortable point and began shaping the rest of the blade last weekend. I've been trying to keep at least 1/8" untouched on the flat side of the edge, this way i can bring it down to a better edge later and not risk damaging it now. (That's the hope anyways)

Managed to damage my palm sander in the process... the edge of the MDF gouged out a chunk of the pad the sandpaper sticks to. So long as I'm careful it's still usable. I have been gaining proficiency in using a rasp. One good thing about this project is I am expanding my tool usage and learning new skills.

Hopefully this weekend I'll finish shaping the blade section and begin the detail work.

From there I opened up Sketchup and modelled it in layers with the intent of doing a buildup with MDF and bondo (I have no idea what I am doing, I'll be honest.... lol ) The intent is to use 1/4" MDF layers for the core layers and 1/8" hardboard for some of the outer details
View attachment 18180
After learning that I had bad info on the size, I had to rescale my layers and reprint my templates..... only to have the printer nearly run out of ink on me. The templates are printed on cardstock.

Is there any chance you still have the sketchup file you can share please?

I know this is a somewhat necro post/reply but I don't care. I LOVE FARSCAPE!!!! I was pretty torn up w/ they canceled the show and how they canceled the show. I did like the Peacekeeper wars. Any progress on the outfit?

That show came up w/ some awesome catch fazes I still use.

Aeryn: "Frell me dead."

Jonh: "PUKE!!!! You're covering me in PUKE!!!!"

Ka Dargo: "As for you, do not....... make me tongue you."

Rygel: "What are you doing?" Chiana: "Having sex w/ 3 Hynerian donkeys, what does it look like?"

ROFL
yeah, the dialog in that show was spectacular.
currantsforeyes: I do still have the files, I'll see if i can dig them up and get them up on here this weekend.

Unfortunately, because of work and general life stuff the project stalled out a bit. Though I should be able to pick it back up here soon. I'm guessing I should start a new thread at that point?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back