Helmet Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GStam66

Hey everyone!

I searched the forum, youtube, and google, in the hopes of finding a decent tutorial or guide on installing lights in my helmet (Halo 4 style). Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything really helpful at all.

I'm looking for which kind of lights would work best (reading lights/wire up my own led's/etc), because I would like them to be bright. Maybe a quick wiring diagram too if the best route is to make your own. I don't plan on doing a chin switch, maybe something at the back of the helmet I can activate by hand externally (possibly a switch mounted inside the rim of the helmet, near the base of the skull).

Thanks in advance! :)

first step is the bat pack

White LEDs need at least 4V. 4 AA is enough.
Then you need to do some Ohms Law to get the current right . 20 mA is kinda the bog standard for this.
Then to mount them you need a spacer. they make them for the T1-3/4 size
OR get some one to 3D print some .

for a switch I stuck a thin rocker near my ear on my Donut lid..

Peter

first step is the bat pack

White LEDs need at least 4V. 4 AA is enough.
Then you need to do some Ohms Law to get the current right . 20 mA is kinda the bog standard for this.
Then to mount them you need a spacer. they make them for the T1-3/4 size
OR get some one to 3D print some .

for a switch I stuck a thin rocker near my ear on my Donut lid..

Peter

Thank you! Any input on whether 5mm or 10mm led's are better? I've seen both mentioned. What should I use as a diffuser?

Take a read through the "Help: for electronics" thread. There is a ton of good info in there, including all the calculations you need for resistors and how to properly wire up led lights. Personally I use a 3xAAA battery pack in my armor pieces, and a 3xAA pack in my helmet, which runs fans as well.

Phil. 3 cells at 1.5V a cell is enough.
However. batts come in 4 packs in most places.
chargers for NiMH are ganged in 2 at a time per section.

with reduced voltage from NiMH you may need that 4th cell to get the voltage to drive white LEDs.

That said.
If you have a budget . just use a Lith based USB power bank..
they have a SoC ( gas gauge) and are worry free as the smarts are in the batt.

I Use the normal 5 mm size and I dont defuse mine .
Exalted's H3 helmet I wired up is 110 lumens per light 440 combined .
3 Watt LEDs .

We are gonna wire his Lid to his backpack with about 40 W/H of Bat packs to run all kinda goodies.
Heck as his chest is SO big Ive been eyeing a 5W Fuel cell to pack in there for giggles.

If you use a cable you can run more stuff and longer . and have the switch systems on the chest not in the lid.

I knew absolutely nothing about wiring and lighting before begining my last build.

This tutorial
helped me out out a lot. Perfect for beginners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back