need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

champion34

I am working on my first build, I just used copy paper to test on the hand guard. Seems to work fine, anyone ever build a full suit with copy paper? Or is that not a good idea. (Was going to add a picture but for some reason it wont let me)

Copy paper is generally not the best type of paper to use for building armor. Regular paper will not hold it's shape when you apply fiberglass resin to it. It will warp your creation in a matter of minutes, even seconds. Cardstock is the type of paper you want to use. It's basically just a thicker type of paper. You can find cardstock at any general store like Walmart, Target, Staples, etc.

Copy paper is generally not the best type of paper to use for building armor. Regular paper will not hold it's shape when you apply fiberglass resin to it. It will warp your creation in a matter of minutes, even seconds. Cardstock is the type of paper you want to use. It's basically just a thicker type of paper. You can find cardstock at any general store like Walmart, Target, Staples, etc.

I used 160 gsm card stock and even that can be susceptible to warp especially if you have a slow curing resin. Frozensnot is right, go for a heavier card stock. Also I had a fast curing resin which is a bit more expensive but I used that for the first coat inside and outside then moved onto the fiberglassing resin which cured much slower.

I use quick drying Elmer's craft glue. This gives me just enough time to line up the tabs just right. It bonds the tabs really well and i haven't had any issues with resin or fiberglass.

I use quick drying Elmer's craft glue. This gives me just enough time to line up the tabs just right. It bonds the tabs really well and i haven't had any issues with resin or fiberglass.

I use the same type of glue as well. It also works great because it's sandable unlike hot glue. Hot glue kind of gums up when you sand it and leaves behind a pit where the hot glue was.

Some people really love to use super glue and others will vouch for other types of glue. It all really comes down to preference. Each type of glue has its ups and downs. Give super glue/elmers glue a try but don't be afraid to experiment. I used hot glue for the longest time and just recently switched to elmers glue.

I Don't Recommend using copy paper for a costume. If you have no other options then I recommend double stacking the paper for thickness. If you are rushed for time or you don't need the costume to last long then you should use EVA Foam or Foam

- - - Updated - - -

Actually DO NOT Double Stack I don't know what I was thinking... :rolleyes

What is the best way to resize the parts so they aren't to big? I think the hand guard is about the right size, but I'm worried about the rest of it

I think what your referring to is scaling the parts to fit your hand. Make sure to look around the 405th forum especially the stickies. There is a wealth of information here.

Check out this tutorial on scaling. While it not may be specific to your build, the principle in scaling still applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back