Huragok (Engineer) Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saber

Member DIN
S028
Hello fellow 405th members!

It's been a long time since I've been around in the forums. Most of you may not know me, but you may be familiar with my work.
I was one of the co-creators of the to-scale Hunter costume!

jay%20and%20hunter.jpg

The Hunter costume wow'd a lot of people and got lots of attention that I did not think it could achieve! Myself and Jeremie were contacted for multiple interviews featured in blogs and our costume ended up on numerous sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Kotaku, YouTube, Imgur, and many more! Jeremie and I even got interviewed by 343 about the costume!
You can see the interview here:

[video]https://youtu.be/9hlpHFGGtWY[/video]

Now that the hype from that project has cooled down (and so have I), I have decided to tackle another costuming project that won't be quite as large as the Hunter, but no less alien!

I will be working on the Engineer!

virgil.jpg

I am mainly going to be making this costume solo and my goal is to have it done in time for Emerald City Comic Con 2016.

This project is still in concept phase, but I do have some sketches that I drew up today.
Costume%20Sketch.jpg

I have been looking at concept art and game screenshots to get an idea of how I want to build this costume and I intend to make this full size.
engineer%20concept%20art.jpg

For those of you wondering how I'm going to make the costume fly, I'm not. I've thought about making this 100% animatronic, but that takes out the fun of wearing it! So people who see the finished product will have to make do with the human legs sticking out the bottom of the alien. ;)

I have a whole list of things that I want to accomplish in this build:
- blinking eyes
- bio-luminescence with EL wire
- voice box
- puppeted head, neck, and tentacles
- fog machine that will emulate the gas that comes out of the Engineer

This will be quite the challenge and I am looking forward to it 100%! I'm giving myself a little more time to work on it compared to the Hunter and I hope that this project blows away as many people as my previous project did!

If you guys are interested, I have a YouTube channel that I will be posting progress videos to when I do finally get the ball rolling on this costume.
You can find my channel here and please be sure to subscribe so you don't miss anything!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9hOHY9EQ-cISrraYeV281g

Thanks for checking out my thread and I hope to give you guys real progress soon!

jay%20and%20hunter.jpg

virgil.jpg

Costume%20Sketch.jpg

engineer%20concept%20art.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy jellyfish batman! .........
This is gonna be a a very very slick build!. Iam Excited to see it move.

For the eyes to blink..

Muscle wires.
Servos.
simple pull solenoids.

Peter

you can always put a black mantle to hide the bottom of the suit? Sometmes it looks good!

(i definitively want to see it finished!)

Holy jellyfish batman! .........
This is gonna be a a very very slick build!. Iam Excited to see it move.

For the eyes to blink..

Muscle wires.
Servos.
simple pull solenoids.

Peter

Thank you!
I'll look into the servos and solenoids some more. I don't know anything about them so it will be interesting to learn how to wire those things together!

you can always put a black mantle to hide the bottom of the suit? Sometmes it looks good!

(i definitively want to see it finished!)

I've thought about putting a black skirt underneath where my legs will be. But I'll worry about that when I get towards the end of the build. :p

I'm glad you are taking on a project this. If anyone is qualified to tackle a project like this, it would be you. This build is gonna be amazing!

This is epic, I can't wait!!! We really need more Covenant cosplayers!

Then why don't you start a Covenant cosplay of your own? :D

How unique! I'm very excited to see how this will turn out. Definitely following this one.

Thank you! I appreciate it!

I'm glad you are taking on a project this. If anyone is qualified to tackle a project like this, it would be you. This build is gonna be amazing!

Awww, you flatter me. :)

Hey everyone! Quick update!

I haven't done much on the Engineer, but my shop has been built!

shed.jpg

I still have to caulk, seal, paint, and wire it up with electricity, but the space is now here and I now have the space to work on my Engineer and other big projects!

I've been sketching up ideas for the skeleton rig that I'm going to build and I built a small-scale version out of straws and tape. My plan is to build the full-scale version out of PVC but I'm apprehensive since some of these angles cannot be achieved by using typical PVC pipe joints. I'll probably have to cut holes in the PVC in order for some of these angles to work.

engineer%20skeleton.jpg

Thanks for checking out the thread and please give me any feedback you may have!

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 372
  • engineer%20skeleton.jpg
    engineer%20skeleton.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 341
I'll be watching this build closely, the Engineers are about my favorite aliens ever. My biggest question is what will yours' name be haha?

I'll be watching this build closely, the Engineers are about my favorite aliens ever. My biggest question is what will yours' name be haha?

Thank you for your support!

I'm not sure what I'll be naming the Engineer just yet. I know that they are named by how well they float when they are first "born" so I'll try to think of something clever.
Some names that already exist are:
Quick to Adjust
Lighter than Some
Sometimes Sinks
Far Too Heavy

I don't want to pick something that already exists, unless I want to make Virgil from ODST (Quick to Adjust).

I also have this idea of having this mini screen somewhere around the neck of the engineer that shows the Superintendent face and can change emotions at the press of the button. It would add more character to the build, but it's just a cool idea I have and is on the back burner until I finish the main build.

The face idea is cute, but maybe instead of attached to the Huragok, have him holding Covenant/Forerunner tablet styled thing? They know humans have a hard time understanding their tentacle-speech, so I'm sure they'd come up with a device to relate their feelings at the least haha!

Can't wait to see the build. No matter what you do with it, I'll be as excited as a kid in a Halo store! ;)

For the eyes....
Ive got one set done and ready to take eye balls to test my idea.
( I need to grab some pong balls from down the street )

22137891443_5437fcb919.jpg

One servo can control both sets of 3 eyes!

For your fog farts.... Old railroad trains have fog juice you can use .
taking a play from vape pens make a heater that ramps up fast!

For the eyes....
Ive got one set done and ready to take eye balls to test my idea.
( I need to grab some pong balls from down the street )

View attachment 19687

One servo can control both sets of 3 eyes!

For your fog farts.... Old railroad trains have fog juice you can use .
taking a play from vape pens make a heater that ramps up fast!

Awesome, thank you!

I'm excited to see how it works!

Subscribed; how are you going to be in there? as in wear it?

His initial drawings show this. The dragging appendages of the huragok will sort of drape around his legs, and I assume the rest of the body will sit on his shoulders via some sort of harness inside the body.

I love builds like this that step a bit off the beaten path, and am super excited to see it take form. Good luck with the build, Saber!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back