Huragok (Engineer) Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
man this is going to be awesome. Can't wait for the updates!

Thank you for your support! I can't wait to get major progress started on this, either!

Subscribed; how are you going to be in there? as in wear it?

I'm going to be making a skeleton out of PVC pipe and then I'm going to make a harness on the inside for all the weight to sit on my shoulders and hips. I'll probably be using a backpacking frame like my friend and I did on the Hunter build.

His initial drawings show this. The dragging appendages of the huragok will sort of drape around his legs, and I assume the rest of the body will sit on his shoulders via some sort of harness inside the body.

I love builds like this that step a bit off the beaten path, and am super excited to see it take form. Good luck with the build, Saber!

You are correct! I plan on having the legs drape around mine so the human legs are less noticeable. I will probably figure out how to make a harness work with a backpacking frame.
One thing you did have wrong... I'm a she. :p

But thank you for your support! It really means a lot!

That look awesome, Peter!

I'll contact you and let you know what sizes the eyes need to be when I figure out the measurements. I know that the eyes get smaller as they get closer to the tip of the nose, but we'll figure it out.

Thank you again for helping me tackle this part of the suit! I'm not an engineer. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again!

No big progress yet, but I've been sketching more design ideas for the skeleton of the costume and I figured I'd post a picture of the sketch I have for the current design.

engineer%20sketch.jpg

This design is much more PVC pipe friendly and I've started to figure out how I'm going to make the tentacles move.

I have yet to figure out how to make the head and neck move, but I've been looking up creature creation videos and hopefully those will spark some ingenuity for this project.

If you guys have any suggestions on how I can make the head and neck move, please let me know!

Thanks for checking out the thread!

Attachments

• engineer%20sketch.jpg
    engineer%20sketch.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 305
I have a few tricks up my sleeve from plans for a moving Doc Ock from spiderman .

http://www.igus.eu/wpck/1783/overview_TriflexR?C=DE&L=en

you can use a 3 -4 way pull wire system to have it move!..

Igus is VERY overpriced but it is a simple bases .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a neck disk I did some rough CAD on for ya..
http://www.123dapp.com/123D_Design/Covey-neck-disk/4696484

neck disk.jpg

The top one needs to be under tension but that can be a spring . Once you have that offset then the side ones can be pulled to move.
( BIG servos or someway to attach it to your head)

Disks are plywood and the pipe is PVC and PVC end caps ( rounded ) drilled
The middle cable is a support .
1/4 in cable for the center and thinner for the pull wires

It should be easy to make them on a drill press and a band saw in large numbers...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh and BTW to complement the thick EL wire ....... the tuffs ( cilla?) on the arms can be lit with some fiber optics.
a few diff scales of lights . thick EL for veins and fiber for tuffs as it spreads out really well.
You can pot it in the silicone !

I got some you are welcome to use ! ( 7 feet or so ) and I can get more !

22784953752_ca5f769082_c.jpg

If you sand it the light leaks out ! Its easy to drive with LEDs and lasers ( 5 mw is plenty)
a small RGB LED can be driven to morph colors in some preset values.

I got the idea from here a few years back.

http://www.lumigram.com/

Peter D

Looking at your sketch, it appears to be potentially front heavy. I would suggest you keep that in mind as you design the frame.

Sent using Tapatalk

I have a few tricks up my sleeve from plans for a moving Doc Ock from spiderman .

http://www.igus.eu/wpck/1783/overview_TriflexR?C=DE&L=en

you can use a 3 -4 way pull wire system to have it move!..

Igus is VERY overpriced but it is a simple bases .
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a neck disk I did some rough CAD on for ya..
http://www.123dapp.com/123D_Design/Covey-neck-disk/4696484

View attachment 20083

The top one needs to be under tension but that can be a spring . Once you have that offset then the side ones can be pulled to move.
( BIG servos or someway to attach it to your head)

Disks are plywood and the pipe is PVC and PVC end caps ( rounded ) drilled
The middle cable is a support .
1/4 in cable for the center and thinner for the pull wires

It should be easy to make them on a drill press and a band saw in large numbers...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh and BTW to complement the thick EL wire ....... the tuffs ( cilla?) on the arms can be lit with some fiber optics.
a few diff scales of lights . thick EL for veins and fiber for tuffs as it spreads out really well.
You can pot it in the silicone !

I got some you are welcome to use ! ( 7 feet or so ) and I can get more !

View attachment 20084

If you sand it the light leaks out ! Its easy to drive with LEDs and lasers ( 5 mw is plenty)
a small RGB LED can be driven to morph colors in some preset values.

I got the idea from here a few years back.

http://www.lumigram.com/

Peter D

These are all great resources, thank you for pointing them out!

Looking at your sketch, it appears to be potentially front heavy. I would suggest you keep that in mind as you design the frame.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've been keeping that in mind in the design and I plan on adding a counter weight so the weight pulling forward isn't as severe.

So I did some looking around and found some pretty good reference pictures that I will be using for the build.

vergil%20side.jpg

vergil%20collar.jpg

vergil%20head%20neck.jpg

Engineer%20undercarriage.jpg

I was also able to get a good side shot of the Engineer and made a grid over to figure out sizing of the Engineer parts.

Here is the original photo.

vergil%20side.jpg

Here is the photo with the sizing grid.

Virgil%20side%20sizing%20chart%20w-pvc.jpg

And here are the measurements I was able to figure out by making this sizing grid:

Head:
Length - 1'
Height - .6'

Neck:
Tapered Diameter - 0.5'
Broad Diameter - 0.75'
Length - 2.25'

Skirt:
Height - 0.6'

Big Bubbles:
Radius - 1.5'
Height - 0.75'

Flat Bubbles:
Radius - 1.25'
Height - 0.5'

Top Tentacles: feather end prehensile
Length - 3'

Middle Tentacles: cable and tubing for prehensile
Length - 2'
Tapered Width - 1"
Broad Width - 2.5"

Lower Tentacles:wire to keep shape
Length: 4'

Tail Tentacles:wire to keep shape
Length: 4'

Tummy Tentacles -
Length: 6"

Tentacle Celia -
Length: 1'
Top Frond Width: 0.25'
Bottom Frond Width: 0.5'

And here is my supply list that I will need to get for the PVC structure:
6 T-Joints
4 Elbow Joints
6 45degree Elbow Joints
2 3-Way Joints
30' 1 inch PVC Pipe

So the planning stage is in a more solid state and I'm getting ready to go purchase PVC and start on the skeleton! :D

I hope this whole post doesn't seem too jumbled, I'm typing this out in the late hours of the night, but I wanted to show you guys my more solid plans!

Thanks for checking out my thread!

vergil%20side.jpg

vergil%20collar.jpg

vergil%20head%20neck.jpg

Engineer%20undercarriage.jpg

vergil%20side.jpg

Virgil%20side%20sizing%20chart%20w-pvc.jpg

vergil%20side.jpg

This is an awesome costume idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'm anxious to see where this costume will take me too!
I plan on buying the PVC in the next couple of days and begin construction of the skeleton this weekend.

I also have a pepakura file a friend made for me of the metal collar bits around the bottom of the Engineer's body that I'm working on unfolding.
I hope to start building the easy EVA foam part of this build soon too.

I am so excited!

I'm anxious to see where this costume will take me too!
I plan on buying the PVC in the next couple of days and begin construction of the skeleton this weekend.

I also have a pepakura file a friend made for me of the metal collar bits around the bottom of the Engineer's body that I'm working on unfolding.
I hope to start building the easy EVA foam part of this build soon too.

I am so excited!

as am I. Can't wait.

inspired by your hunter build.... also, it sucks that you arent in NoCo... otherwise we could meet and talk about sizing n such... also GL on your Huragok...

inspired by your hunter build.... also, it sucks that you arent in NoCo... otherwise we could meet and talk about sizing n such... also GL on your Huragok...

We can still talk! What do you need help sizing? PM me!

Hey everyone, short update!

My shed is finally all wired up and I have power! That means I can start working on the Engineer!

shed_1.jpg

I started on the frame today and I'm content with the sizing that I measured out. (Puppers for size)

12272560_10208246583426266_1465795412_n.jpg
frame%20puppy.jpg

I have a couple more support pipes to add in and then I can glue this all together to solidify the form. I also need to acquire a pack frame to attach the structure to.

Next, I will be "fleshing" the Engineer out with thin couch foam. Then my plan is to sculpt the skin of the Engineer in pieces out of oil-based clay and then I will make a plaster mold and cast the skin out of latex or latex-foam. That I haven't quite decided and I will have to experiment.

I hope to start the fleshing out tomorrow and I'll be sure to post more updates soon!

Thanks for checking out the thread!

Attachments

• frame%20puppy.jpg
    frame%20puppy.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 168
  • 12272560_10208246583426266_1465795412_n.jpg
    12272560_10208246583426266_1465795412_n.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 159
  • shed_1.jpg
    shed_1.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 184
Lookin good lol the dog food on the shelf though

Thanks!

The dog treat box is actually empty and I was carrying some things in it. :p

As some last minute progress, I was able to unfold this file a friend made for me of the forerunner metal bits that wrap around the neck of the Engineer.
It was a beast to unfold, but it's done and sized correctly and ready to be printed. This file is a foam-unfold so I will be building this part out of EVA foam.

pepakura%20unfold%20collar.jpg

It's missing a lot of detail, but nothing I can't achieve on my own.

My next update will likely be tomorrow and I will try to make a video as the update.
So if you guys are interested in watching the video updates, please subscribe to my YouTube channel so you don't miss anything!

You can find the link to my Channel HERE!

Attachments

• pepakura%20unfold%20collar.jpg
    pepakura%20unfold%20collar.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 238
Update time!

I have been working on the Engineer all day today and I am happy to say that the framework/ skeleton is finished!

I added the two extra support structures to the frame to prevent it from collapsing on itself and then I took a rubber mallet to all of the corners and connections to get them all snug. I bought a can of ABS glue, but it doesn't look like I'll be needing it for now. I'll be keeping it handy just in case things start falling apart.

I also bought a brand new backpacking frame at the store today and zip tied it to the frame so I was able to wear the frame and walk around. I can already tell this will be a front-heavy costume (if the blueprints I made weren't hint enough) so I will have to figure out what I need to use as a counter weight on the back to prevent me from hurting myself.

frame1.jpg

frame2.jpg

The foam unfold I finished last night for the harness around the neck was a smacking 50 pages. I printed it all out today and started the tedious task of cutting out all the pieces and taping together sheets that were overlapping on other pages.

That took up a lot of my time today so I didn't end up building a lot out of foam.

frameharness.jpg

I decided to build the harness before fleshing the Engineer with couch foam because I figured that I needed to figure out where my peek-holes needed to be. I also can't gauge how far the flesh needs to be away from the frame without the harness there for reference.

My dogs took advantage of my change of mind while I worked on the harness.

foam%20flesh.jpg

I love working in my new shed because it's away from distractions and can listen to music and have YouTube videos (Markiplier and Jacksepticeye are my go-tos) play in the background as loud as I want, but it's so darn cold!

I have one space heater in my shed and I could only get the temperature inside to 52 degrees F. But as soon as I opened the door to the outside, the temperature dropped to 37! Brr! I need to get a better space heater or get some insulation in here!

Thanks for checking out the thread and any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• foam%20flesh.jpg
    foam%20flesh.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 183
  • frameharness.jpg
    frameharness.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 178
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 186
  • frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 173
Looking cool (pun intended). I'm bummed that the images don't show up in Tapatalk, but they show up fine in a browser. Any suggestions how to fix that? Really enjoy watching the progress.

Sent using Tapatalk

I can see the photos just fine using tapatalk. That's an odd issue. In any case, that harness looks pretty intense! Looking forward to more updates.

Looking cool (pun intended). I'm bummed that the images don't show up in Tapatalk, but they show up fine in a browser. Any suggestions how to fix that? Really enjoy watching the progress.

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm not really sure why it isn't showing up on Tapatalk. I don't use it so I can't figure out why. The images are just links to photobucket and pasted to the thread. Tapatalk probably doesn't like links. *shrugs*

I can see the photos just fine using tapatalk. That's an odd issue. In any case, that harness looks pretty intense! Looking forward to more updates.

Thank you!

The harness isn't actually all that intense. It's definitely not the biggest or most complex thing I've ever built. ;)
It's very plain for a foam pep as there is no detail work, it's all basic forms. I'm going to have to add all the detail on by hand using reference pictures from the games. But that's not the first time I've done that, either! (The Hunter was quite a beast)

Thank you guys for your support!
I hope to have more updates for you later in the week or this weekend! I get a four-day weekend so I should definitely be getting something done, for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back