Huragok (Engineer) Costume

Status
Not open for further replies.
but after some thanksgiving turkey <3 <3

right??

I prefer ham...

But why not work on the Engineer while eating ham??? I am a master multi-tasker :p

Also, unrelated:

I put goggles on my dog and everyone is freaking out that he looks like Dogmeat from Fallout 4. XD
I posted it to Imgur HERE

Hey everyone! Sorry for the lack of updates!

I've been really busy in the past month spending time with family for the holidays and this past weekend has been a bit of a doozy with a sudden ice-over and my dog having a stroke.

I have started sculpting the air sacs of the Engineer out of oil-based clay. Since this weekend was so cold and it snowed-iced, I wasn't really able to work in my shop for long before retreating back inside for warmth. I really need to get some insulation put up in there!

Here's what I got for the sculpt of the air sac so far. I put some parchment paper down on my glass cutting board and taped down a plastic bowl that I purchased from Fred Meyer so I wouldn't be using so much clay material.

image1.jpg

Then I started laying down ropes of warmed up clay on top of the bowl and around the edge.

image2.jpg

Then I blended all the ropes together into one solid form.

image3.jpg

I've started to sculpt out the vein detailing and smoothing out the rough spots, but I don't have any pictures of that just yet as I felt the progress I made on that was not substantial enough.

With this new year already underway, I really need to get going on this project!

I only have 92 days left to get this done!

It may seem like a lot of time, but my procrastination skills are off the charts and it's hard to keep up on a big project like this when I have a full time job!

Expect more updates on this more frequently!

Thank you guys for checking out my thread and please give me any feedback you may have! All critique is fully appreciated!

PS. My dog who had the stroke is okay! She's just a little tilted (that's a side-effect of the stroke) and she is already beginning to recover!
image5.jpg

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 177
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 172
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 166
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 169
This sounds like one hell of a project, and you seem to be handling it amazingly. I cant wait to see it finished. Its also good to hear your dog is doing alright. Keep up the good work, man!

This sounds like one hell of a project, and you seem to be handling it amazingly. I cant wait to see it finished. Its also good to hear your dog is doing alright. Keep up the good work, man!

It's definitely a daunting project. But not nearly as intimidating as the Hunter!

I admit, there are some things about this project that prove to be challenging, but I'm sure I can pull through and get this done in the next 90 days.

Here is the progress I made last night. Sculpting is an arduous process!

image1%201.jpg

image2%201.jpg

One side of the air sac has some detail work put down. I've never sculpted veins before, so I'm hoping these veins I've added to the sculpt look somewhat realistic. I will be looking up sculpting and smoothing techniques during my downtime at work for oil-based clay since you can't use water to smooth things out.

Thank you guys for checking out the thread! Any and all feedback is thoroughly appreciated!

Attachments

• image1%201.jpg
    image1%201.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 187
  • image2%201.jpg
    image2%201.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 165
This is looking amazing Sabre!! Do you have any sort of deadline for this project?

Where it is an oil base product, maybe a touch of mineral spirits on your fingers or tools might help with the final smoothing? Just a thought.
On anothernote, your builds are once again amazing!! Good work.

This is looking amazing Sabre!! Do you have any sort of deadline for this project?

My planned deadline is for Emerald City Comic Con 2016 this coming April and it's held in Seattle.

If they have one this year, I plan on entering the Engineer into the Masters Division of the Costume Contest.

Where it is an oil base product, maybe a touch of mineral spirits on your fingers or tools might help with the final smoothing? Just a thought.
On anothernote, your builds are once again amazing!! Good work.

Thanks for the tip! I've read up on some methods of smoothing oil-based clay and mineral spirits was at the top of the list!

Here is my progress this weekend!

engineer%20air%20sac%20sculpt.jpg

I've never sculpted anything like this before so I am really proud of the vein-work and indented pocks I added to the top of the mound.

This cold is really kicking my butt so I'm really hoping it goes away soon so I can get back out into my shop and work on this project. I have less than 90 days to finish this costume! X_X

As always, thank you everyone for checking out the thread and please give me any feedback you may have!

All critique is gratefully accepted.

Attachments

• engineer%20air%20sac%20sculpt.jpg
    engineer%20air%20sac%20sculpt.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 175
this is gonna be an interesting build.
are you gonna take turn as you did when you were sporting the hunter?

Nope. I'll be flying (ha) this costume solo. It's not as big and bulky as the Hunter and I plan on installing some "stabilizers" to allow for me to get in and out of the costume easily.

Probably not, i'll either be working every weekend this summer, or putting on a new roof on my house

Hey everyone! Here's some progress!

I got the neck plates built!

engineer%20neck%20plates.jpg

I'm gunna go to the hardware store tomorrow night to get some materials to build a base model of the Engineer's neck and head so I when I start sculpting this week, it won't take as long and I won't waste as much material trying to build the form up with the clay.

I'm also on the hunt for some better reference pictures of the skin on the neck so I can get it as close as I can to the original in design. I don't don't care if my end result is not 100% canon, I just need the reference so I have a similar model and I can work from there.

80 days till Emerald City... >_<

Thanks for checking out the thread!
Any and all comments/ critique are fully appreciated!

Attachments

• engineer%20neck%20plates.jpg
    engineer%20neck%20plates.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 248
Time for another sculpting update!

Last night after I got home from work, I decided I wanted to start tackling the sculpt for the Engineer's head. After gathering some materials, I put together a small sculpting stand out of a wood dowel and a block of pink insulation foam for the base. I used painter's tape to hold the dowel in place after cutting a hole in the foam to fit the dowel.

Engineer%20sculpt%202.jpg

Next, I started wrapping the dowel with aluminum foil. This was done to bulk up the form without using as much clay. This also makes it lighter and it won't be as heavy.

Engineer%20sculpt%201.jpg

Engineer%20Sculpt%203.jpg

Next, I started adding on the clay...

WARNING: Images may look phallic in nature, but that is not the intent!!!
Get your giggles out now while you can...

Engineer%20Sculpt%204.jpg

Before I finished sculpting for the night, I added the eye sockets on the left side of the head of the Engineer. I didn't really know where to go at this point and I also realized I didn't have enough clay to make the head full-sized. I'll have to build on some more.

Engineer%20sculpt%205.jpg

I tried adding eyes back in and to start sculpting the eyelids before I stopped for the night.

Engineer%20sculpt%206.jpg

Again, I am a complete novice/ noob at sculpting. I have no idea what I am doing 99% of the time. A lot of what I am doing is trial and error so if there are any more experienced people with knowledge of sculpting, any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

I plan on work on the sculpt more tonight and hopefully I will have made substantial enough progress to share with you guys!

Thanks for checking out the thread! Any and all feedback/critique is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Engineer%20sculpt%202.jpg
    Engineer%20sculpt%202.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 174
  • Engineer%20sculpt%201.jpg
    Engineer%20sculpt%201.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Engineer%20sculpt%206.jpg
    Engineer%20sculpt%206.jpg
    270.3 KB · Views: 166
  • Engineer%20sculpt%205.jpg
    Engineer%20sculpt%205.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 159
  • Engineer%20Sculpt%204.jpg
    Engineer%20Sculpt%204.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 346
  • Engineer%20Sculpt%203.jpg
    Engineer%20Sculpt%203.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 163
Really great progress. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get to ECCC. I'm curious about the weight on the clay. Seems like it will be a lot of clay "bubble things." If you had to guess, how much would one of those bubbles weigh?

Great work Saber! The sculpting looks great.

Thank you!

You have my attention! :D

I'm glad! :p

Really great progress. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get to ECCC. I'm curious about the weight on the clay. Seems like it will be a lot of clay "bubble things." If you had to guess, how much would one of those bubbles weigh?

I'm glad you like it so far! As of this morning, I have entered the Engineer into the Costume Competition at ECCC so now I really have to finish it in the next 75 days! It will be a crunch! But I can do this!

The other day, I got my new airbrush machine, a bunch of paints, more hobby knife blades, and other things that I ordered online.

This weekend, I will be working on finishing the harness around the neck of the Engineer and hopefully will finish the sculpt of the head. I will also start working on the neck movement mechanism at a friend's house.

Updates to come soon!

Thank you for checking out the thread!
Any and all input is appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back