Second try at Master Chief! Fingers crossed [Pic Heavy]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Second try at Master Chief! Fingers crossed

Just a quick update on where I'm at now.... got pep to do lol.

Gotta say tho that this is a hard build for my third attempt at pepakura and to do it without numbers (not my fault), I must be insane lol.

As you will see below. I've completed a third of the torso.

20151111_195507.jpg

20151111_195521.jpg

20151111_195547.jpg

Now I must go and get this bad boy finished.....

Attachments

• 20151111_195507.jpg
    20151111_195507.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 216
  • 20151111_195521.jpg
    20151111_195521.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 20151111_195547.jpg
    20151111_195547.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 241

That is an amazing job for your third time. Great work. Keep in mind this piece will need some extra condo work on the back as it is missing some detail.

Thanks guys :)

@Philthy - The numbers didn't print for some reason. Even tho they were displayed on screen. Some lines didn't print either :s

@Al Blue - yeah, I plan to study reference pics and take notes after the build is complete. Gonna see if I can route some peices on my CNC at work... should make things easier

Think I made a boo boo.... I been shopping for resin but I wanted to find an alternative to the bondo brand resin. I found a resin by Stevens on Ebay so I made the purchase. After laying the dollars down I noticed I hadn't read the label properly. It's a fiberglass laminating resin. So I had a look at the bondo resin and read that the bondo stuff is a finishing resin. Do you think a laminating resin will do the job? I'm gonna make a test structure like a low res forearm and test the Stevens resin anyway. Just wondered what the 405th thought :)

That should work just fine. I'm fairly certain the epoxy resin i use is considered laminating.

Ah cool. I've just been looking at your build Meatwad. Awesome stuff! Can I ask tho.... how did you glass the forehead bit of the helm?

Tonight's session consisted of finishing the pep on the upper torso (minus the details)

20151116_000251.jpg

20151116_000221.jpg

Attachments

• 20151116_000221.jpg
    20151116_000221.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 293
  • 20151116_000251.jpg
    20151116_000251.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 307

For next time I would Google aqua resin great product two step mixture simple easy and you can purchase in bulk ,just be careful not to purchase in the dead of winter because of the liquid part b will cyrstalize and will not work , just contact the supplier they will resend it out as needed , GREAT WORK coming along great

Ah cool. I've just been looking at your build Meatwad. Awesome stuff! Can I ask tho.... how did you glass the forehead bit of the helm?

To be honest with you, not very well haha. I actually ended up sanding through the paper, into a pocket where the resin and fiberglass weren't applied well. The entire inside of the Grenadier helmet is full of ridges and places you can't reach (behind the ear piece especially). It was certainly a learning process and if i could go back and do it all over, i would. That being said, I'm also extremely happy with how it turned out for my first build. I can't wait to get the time to start working on it again.

Let me know if you have any other questions i can help answer.

Think I made a boo boo.... I been shopping for resin but I wanted to find an alternative to the bondo brand resin. I found a resin by Stevens on Ebay so I made the purchase. After laying the dollars down I noticed I hadn't read the label properly. It's a fiberglass laminating resin. So I had a look at the bondo resin and read that the bondo stuff is a finishing resin. Do you think a laminating resin will do the job? I'm gonna make a test structure like a low res forearm and test the Stevens resin anyway. Just wondered what the 405th thought :)

Might be time to take back the first helmet from your kids for some resin testing.

Thanks guys...

Meatwad - ok thanks buddy. Will do :)

@Philthy - Yeah. As soon as I purchased, the first thing that came to mind is you post lol. Sadly it's too late for that cheif helmet. Kids will be kids. I'm thinking about testing on the Abs section for the torso. It only took just over an hour to build so I could make that again no probs

Last edited by a moderator:

LOL, yeah I figured that old helmet was done for. But couldn't resist pointing out the obvious.

Good luck with the resin though.

Now the Torso and Abs are complete, it's time to tackle the helmet again.... hopefully at the right scale this time lol.

Here's where I'm at....

20151118_002116.jpg

I find it funny how small this is compared to the first lmao.

Attachments

• 20151118_002116.jpg
    20151118_002116.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 302

For next time I would Google aqua resin great product two step mixture simple easy and you can purchase in bulk ,just be careful not to purchase in the dead of winter because of the liquid part b will cyrstalize and will not work , just contact the supplier they will resend it out as needed , GREAT WORK coming along great

I just had a look at aqua resin on Google and found a UK alternative called Jesmonite. I like the fact that both are non toxic. I'll definitely try one if I don't like the one I got. It kinda sucks that I'm nearing resin stage in winter :(

I just had a look at aqua resin on Google and found a UK alternative called Jesmonite. I like the fact that both are non toxic. I'll definitely try one if I don't like the one I got. It kinda sucks that I'm nearing resin stage in winter :(

I've tried Jesmonite myself. It's a decent product, but unfortunately it has a tendency to soak the card quite thoroughly and can cause your form to warp. I'd suggest using it only if it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks for the info. I'll stay away from that then because warping I don't want :)

When you run out of this supply of resin, have you put any thought into using epoxamite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back