wannabe Grunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranger Spartan

Hi Guys, been observing the site for a while trying to find out where to start???
I'm probably the oldest swinger on here 48 yrs of age ex forces really fancy trying to make a Spartan loadout (I imagine it's the way forces kit is heading given $$$)
I would like to start with a MK VI recruit helmet from Guardians.
So what do I need to get started?
My model build skills are debatable however Im a tryer and not bad with DIY.
Any help is always appreciated and I apologise in advance for questions that probably have been asked and any obvious questions.
With thanks.

Welcome to the 405th! I may be new here too, but I can help point you in the right direction.
A great place to start would be the new recruit sticky http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=10744
On that thread in the first post there is a list of very helpful threads. I'd highly recommend giving the all-in-one manual a read and the orientation video a watch.

As far as what you need it depends on what you want to do. You can do Pepakura which is very time consuming but will be a very solid piece in the end. Or you may want to try a foam build using EVA foam from big hardware stores like Home Depot.

I am currently working on my first pepakura so I can only give advice there, but this link here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=14613 will give you a good idea of what kinds of items you will need for a high quality pepakura.

For future questions don't forget to use the search bar first and then post in the appropriate Help! thread after that (links in the first sticky).

Good luck and I look forward to seeing what you end up making!!

Hey I'm 45 so I'm right behind in the old line. Pepakura know no ages said an old hermit who was camping during a game I played once........

Trust me, we got people as old as 60 on here so don't count yourself out! Welcome to the 405th!

Lol cheers guys, I've just printed of my some A4 sheets of card to start a Chief's helmet thought I'd try and get my hands dirty on an expendable project 1st.
The more I search the more I find on this site I went from intro, how to guides, helmets, suits, undersuits, back to helmets:wacko shame about some of the older images not being there, but overall the site is a font of information and could stimulate the most mundane mind.

Welcome RS, your not old. 46 here and there are a lot of us out there.

General question on average how many packs of foam are required for a typical loadout?

Its hard to say. Different builds have different amounts of armor and foam. I did a Marine with only a pack and a half of foam. Some suits take as many as 4 packs. It all depends.

I've tried printing a couple of pepakura (Im using the latest version) files from archive to UK A4 card my printer pops up with (the size of the paper specified by Pepakura designer is not the same as printer settings Adjust scale) to what scale? and when they come out they look small, is there anything Im missing when printing?
I didn't think I would have to use the designer unless I wanted to tweak particular sizes?
I apologise if this has been mentioned like a million times but I'm finding I'm trawling through threads for bits and pieces the stickies are great btw.
While I'm on I'm attempting a wars undersuit has anyone attached foam to lycra? I'm in the process of cutting thinly shaped pieces of foam to replicate the style but don't know what to use(glue sewing, velcro?) or IF it will even attach.
Thanks again.

You want to hit "no" or "ignore" or whatever it says when it asks you to adjust the scale. Basically from what I understand of it, what it means is that some pieces might be outside the printable border of what your printer can do....so you may have a few lines you just have to draw in yourself. It asks if you want to adjust the pieces so everything prints properly, but then they are too small, which causes a problem. Better to have a few lines you need to just draw in after and have the correct size pieces.

I've tried printing a couple of pepakura (Im using the latest version) files from archive to UK A4 card my printer pops up with (the size of the paper specified by Pepakura designer is not the same as printer settings Adjust scale) to what scale? and when they come out they look small, is there anything Im missing when printing?
I didn't think I would have to use the designer unless I wanted to tweak particular sizes?
I apologise if this has been mentioned like a million times but I'm finding I'm trawling through threads for bits and pieces the stickies are great btw.
While I'm on I'm attempting a wars undersuit has anyone attached foam to lycra? I'm in the process of cutting thinly shaped pieces of foam to replicate the style but don't know what to use(glue sewing, velcro?) or IF it will even attach.
Thanks again.

It's because the .pdo file you are viewing was created using not A4 size paper, probably Letter. It just depends on who unfolded it. Not to worry, you can ignore the warning like Corweena said but run the risk of things not printing correctly. To remove the error simply go to "Setting" > "Print and Paper Settings" > Change the paper size to A4. While you're in there also be sure that the Transparency is at 0% to have the lines print as strong as they can. If you're doing any resizing you will also want to make sure the margins are as small as they can be, which is 5mm. Happy building!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back