I'm a wetworks with a railgun

Status
Not open for further replies.
omg... I can only find 1mm cardboard at dollar tree, if I don't want it to be deformed... reduced size- 30 cardboard pieces, origin. size- 70 cardboard pieces...

Go to your local Walmart or Target. Ask if they have any large cardboard packaging boxes out back that you might be able to have - most large retailers simply throw their cardboard away or recycle it, so they'll have plenty, and most of the time they'd be absolutely fine with you walking home with as many boxes as you can carry.

Use some initiative, lad.

They actually let you do that? I only know that Costco let you do that... alright will do

It honestly depends on the person you get at the time. Some employees might not have the time or the inclination to help you out, but others would be absolutely happy to let you take some cardboard from them. If all else, just see if you can't talk to some of the people who are responsible for procurement and processing of deliveries, they'll point you in the right direction.

True story: I work at a local hospital, and (should the fancy take me) I'm more than welcome to go home with as much cardboard as I can possibly, physically carry. It's all about knowing the right people to ask - so, pop on over with your parents, load up the car, and enjoy cost-free cosplaying resources.

Here in Canberra we have government-run facilities called recycle centres where you can go to an unmanned compound to dump your bottles, newspapers and there's a massive cage for cardboard boxes. I go there and climb into the cage to pull out all the choicest pieces of cardboard and load my car to the roof! There are security cameras everywhere and not once have I been approached or contacted to stop. I know plenty of mums and school teachers who do the same for craft projects all the time.

Distributors/retailers of large appliances like refrigerators and other white goods would often be quite happy for you to come to their loading dock and grab some cardboard that their goods are packaged in.

I like to take a page from the book of those guys in history that were incarcerated in concentration camps and jails. You know, the guy you would go to if you wanted something and somehow he was resourceful enough to find a way to get it to you, no matter how impossible the request sounded. That's the kind of person who gets things done.

SB

It honestly depends on the person you get at the time. Some employees might not have the time or the inclination to help you out, but others would be absolutely happy to let you take some cardboard from them. If all else, just see if you can't talk to some of the people who are responsible for procurement and processing of deliveries, they'll point you in the right direction.

True story: I work at a local hospital, and (should the fancy take me) I'm more than welcome to go home with as much cardboard as I can possibly, physically carry. It's all about knowing the right people to ask - so, pop on over with your parents, load up the car, and enjoy cost-free cosplaying resources.

I worked at Lowe's for 3 years, and as long as it's not super busy, we would give out cardboard to anyone that wanted it. We had to pay to get it picked up and recycled so if anyone wanted it it was one less thing to break down and crush. Wed get people all the time who would be shipping products they bought for relatives, and wanted boxes to put them it. It doesn't hurt to ask.

no, liike, I mean like if it has bends, as in the nateral bends on a box-
Step-One-Cardboard-Box.jpg

Attachments

• Step-One-Cardboard-Box.jpg
    Step-One-Cardboard-Box.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 148
That's not too bad. You're going to layer it, so it shouldn't be an issue. Maybe just keep a few good pieces for the outermost layer. And, if you plan on using craft foam on the outside its really not a big issue either, since it will be covered anyways.

If you alternate the direction the corrugations run in each layer and use pva wood glue, your weapon will be super strong, very rigid and less likely to warp over time.

What if I use cardboard and fiberglass between layers?

Nooo! There's absolutely NO NEED to put fibreglass on the inside. What is it with fibreglass? It's expensive and messy. Your posts so far have indicated you are working on a tight budget, why the obsession with fibreglass? If you are going to use fibreglass at all, use it on the OUTSIDE only as part of your finishing.

What if I use cardboard and fiberglass between layers?

I don't mean to be rude here, but... are you sure you've done any sort of research whatsoever on your builds before progressing? A lot of these questions could be answered by simply searching around the forums for other sliced builds, or using common sense. Do your research.

I wouldn't advise fibreglassing between layers - or even fibreglassing at all, if it's a sliced build. Feel free to apply a coat or two of exterior resin to your build to strengthen it up, but fibreglass isn't something you're really going to need here - it'll just add weight and excess thickness to your build, and if applied to the outside, will cause you to lose detail on your prop.

Consider looking at THIS thread for more information. This thread should answer most of your questions.

thx guys, I just had a bit of fiberglass left over from last time, that's why I asked... I went into Diaso japan, (a Japanese shop here, kinda like Dollar tree with better quality and to my surprise, they had Styrofoam cutters for 1.50 each, and yeah I know it won't be useful for cardboard, quite the contrary, but because of that, I'm thinking about experimenting with Styrofoam once again...

Cut the cardboard box into a flat shape and trace your templates onto it and cut it out. Then simply glue the slices with some glue and use craft foam over the ridges to hide them/ add detail.

Sorry for causeing all the drama and stress over this... I'll just trace, cut, glue, fiberglass, and eva the corners for sharp edges and shock resistent (I think)...
NBR_foam_baby_safety_furniture_corner_protectors.jpg
kinda like this, not like, fiberglass and eva... Yeah, I'm kinda new bout sliced builds but everybody knows that, considering how this build turned out, or is going to turn out...

Attachments

• NBR_foam_baby_safety_furniture_corner_protectors.jpg
    NBR_foam_baby_safety_furniture_corner_protectors.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 139
If you're doing a sliced cardboard build, you don't need to use fiberglass. You're just making more work and tons of extra sanding for yourself, like both Chernobyl and Sandbagger said. Cardboard with a healthy amount of pva woodglue is PLENTY strong enough to hold everything together and keep it stiff. Like they said, you could do a resin coat on the outside, but its really not needed. Cardboard base ---> craft foam detailing ---> seal the foam ---> paint the prop. That's really all there is to it. No need to overcomplicate it with extra unneeded materials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back