I'm a wetworks with a railgun

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEPAKURA TURTLE

Alright, this is a new thread, the old one was for my armor. This is the beginning of my rail gun, which turned out really good, yet scaled to Spartan( covenant lol)sized...Ill be uploading more pics soon but for now.... 1446854514159.1.jpgthat big long board is it...Can anyone help my btw?I can't seem to find the exact size for the barrel and stuff so...any help?

1448172792477.1.jpg1448172813047.2.jpg1448172822747.3.jpg1448172829842.4.jpg
Hey man. Next time I'd recommend a quick google search, was literally the first link I found. All the best with the build, will be watching to see how it turns out.

Handheld, Two-Handed

Length: 110.8 centimetres (43.6 in)[1]
Height: 31.9 centimetres (12.6 in)[1]
Width: 7.4 centimetres (2.9 in)[1]
Weight: 14.9 kilograms (33 lb)[1]

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Asymmetric_Recoilless_Carbine-920
Thx, I have managed to figure out everything by a 1cm= 4cm scale, and I have made about 5 copies out of cardboard just to be safe(lol), and I plan to maybe make more copies, and then fiberglass it, or cover it with eva foam... the reason I asked what the things were was because my school chromebook blocked halo wiki...
Update- 1448173605168.1.jpgyes, this is just the base...doen't need to look pretty...

hey, I cut a piece out of cement board just to see what it would look like- 1448217793407.1.jpg1448217804672.2.jpgIt's actually really really good, but its too heavy so I have to only use one board...:facepalm Imma make the rest out of cardboard and my plans for sticking them together? Fiberglass mats, fiberglass, and a whole lot ta sandin

Try using foam board. Much lighter and once you have it sandwiched, it becomes very sturdy. I found templates for a Spartan Light-rifle that i began working on. Took me a couple of hours to just cut the 8 pieces out for the front lower part of the weapon. It weighs much less than a pound at this point.

I furst used foam, but it was too messy...talking of which, thats how I lost 2 xacto knifes... I'm also aiming at the weight, which I want to be heavy, not as much as a real one, but as if one of my friends picked it up, they think this is legit costuming

By cement board do you mean like drywall? If so, interesting idea, but I'd be very wary of its durability, especially where the top barrel of the weapon meets the rest of the buttstock.

I furst used foam, but it was too messy...talking of which, thats how I lost 2 xacto knifes... I'm also aiming at the weight, which I want to be heavy, not as much as a real one, but as if one of my friends picked it up, they think this is legit costuming
Yes have to agree that it is mess but you lost 2 xacto knives? Its foam.....foam board....not EVA foam. Foam board is Styrofoam sandwiched betyween 2 laminated pieces of paper. Super easy to cut through. I just began working on a Light rifle myself. Completed the core and the front lower half.

IMG-20151122-01004.jpg

I don't have a pic of the core but the overall length is a bit over 3 feet. closer to 4. Its going to be light but very sturdy once I put in a wood dowel spine along the whole thing.

Yes have to agree that it is mess but you lost 2 xacto knives? Its foam.....foam board....not EVA foam. Foam board is Styrofoam sandwiched betyween 2 laminated pieces of paper. Super easy to cut through. I just began working on a Light rifle myself. Completed the core and the front lower half.

View attachment 20586

I don't have a pic of the core but the overall length is a bit over 3 feet. closer to 4. Its going to be light but very sturdy once I put in a wood dowel spine along the whole thing.
Its looking good, and I lost 2 xacto knifes for not sharpening them very good, *they were bent out of shape, and the other I couldn't even cut paper...yeah I know, I should have sharpened them and yeah I'm planning to use a drywall and I'm gonna try to but cardboard besides them and make it just a bit more flexible, or durable, and then fiberglass it, or add Eva foam... but I most likely won't be right, since I'm both trying to make it flexible and heavy/hard... which is never a good combination...

Its looking good, and I lost 2 xacto knifes for not sharpening them very good, *they were bent out of shape, and the other I couldn't even cut paper...yeah I know, I should have sharpened them and yeah I'm planning to use a drywall and I'm gonna try to but cardboard besides them and make it just a bit more flexible, or durable, and then fiberglass it, or add Eva foam... but I most likely won't be right, since I'm both trying to make it flexible and heavy/hard... which is never a good combination...

Yea you sort of get one or the other. .. flexible and light or heavy and rigid. Be aware that drywall is not flexible, though, and is super brittle. It will crack if you try to bend it.

Dude, I know you are probably just using what you have readily available to you, but do yourself a favour and listen to the advice given to these other guys who have done it before and done it well. You will save a lot of time and heartache in the long run, plus your hobby wont take motivational hits and kill the fun for you.

Google V - Knife sharpeners and run your exacto or stanley blade through that. They are very cheap. Foam board is one of the BEST products you can use for cosplay weapon building. If you want weight, you can add things that are heavy as you go. Typically the barel inside can be made of metal pipe for a bit of weight. Lighting, batteries and all those add-ons will add weight.

Fibreglass can be expensive and also VERY messy and dangerous with dust, fibres and organic gasses. There are safe alternatives like paper mache to cover and trim your weapon. It is cheap and can be sanded and painted. The key to paper mache is to take your time and don't get it too wet as you go or it will warp. I've seen some gorgeous stuff done in paper mache.

Oh, and give your camera lens (looks like your laptop) a clean. It's hard for us guys to give you pointers if we can't actually see what you are doing.

Please don't take this critisism as a bad thing or a shot at you. I mean the best and would love to see your journey and your craftsmanship improve from strength to strength.

SB.

Its looking good, and I lost 2 xacto knifes for not sharpening them very good, *they were bent out of shape, and the other I couldn't even cut paper

It's likely time for you to get a new knife. I worry as to what you're trying to cut if you've managed to bend a knife so badly, and how you're trying to cut it - perhaps it might be worth looking into acquiring some disposable snap-off blades if you're going to be working like that. They're cheap enough to buy, the refills aren't incredibly expensive, and if you buy a decent one, they'll last you for years. I've had my current one for about three years.

I'm planning to use a drywall

...as in, the construction material? I... ech, I'd honestly try to steer away from using something like that. Take it from personal experience, that stuff isn't pleasant to work with. I recently had to patch up a hole I knocked in my partition wall, and it's really not fun to cut and shape. If you're thinking of making prop weapons, I'd suggest layered/sliced cardboard builds - it's cheaper, more forgiving to work with, and probably lighter to handle in the long run.

I'm gonna try to but cardboard besides them and make it just a bit more flexible, or durable, and then fiberglass it, or add Eva foam...

Pick one material and work with that to the best of your experience, rather than trying to get technical and working with multiple mediums at once. I mean no offence at all, but you're really in need of some experience before you try anything complex, so I'd suggest, as above, trying a sliced/layered cardboard build. You could also research EVA foam weapon builds - I've seen several decent EVA foam weapons knocking around.

And I'll echo Sandbagger regarding fibreglass - it's not a good material for beginners to use, and mistakes with it tend to end up messy, expensive, and very difficult to correct. By all means, I'd encourage you to experiment and get some experience with it, but I'd suggest trying it on a smaller, less critical component first, such as an armour shin or a shoulder plate.

but I most likely won't be right, since I'm both trying to make it flexible and heavy/hard... which is never a good combination...

Drywall isn't exceptionally flexible - none of the materials you've listed, aside from perhaps EVA foam, are. Ideally, your prop weapons won't flex at all, and will be sturdy enough to withstand light impacts. Again, mirroring Sandbagger, you can always add weight later through metal pipes (which, again, will add structural strength and rigidity), electronics, or even well-placed wooden blocks will suffice.

I would urge you to perhaps do a little more research before heading back into this project. Your enthusiasm is admirable, I'd just hate to see this project fail and have you end up discouraged from it. Good luck, regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx guys, I have decided to make it rigid, so, eva foam is out... but I was thinking about while fiberglassing adding 2mm foam to corners... but even so...I want to use the dry wall for the middle section

Thx guys, I have decided to make it rigid, so, eva foam is out... but I was thinking about while fiberglassing adding 2mm foam to corners... but even so...I want to use the dry wall for the middle section

What do you mean by drywall? Do you mean the material that is plaster sheet sandwiched between two layers of paper? If so, it's a REALLY BAD IDEA to use it.

Yeah, that drywall is gonna crack and crumble first bump it gets. Not very friendly to work with either.

I'd do what Chernobyl suggested....a sliced cardbord build. Its ridiculously cheap...you can buy big boxes for about $1.50, or even find them for free. Build up with the cardboard, then top with 2mm craft foam. You could easily build a weapon for under $10 in materials including paint. Its easy to work with, and when stacked becomes pretty rigid and strong, and would be easy to add extra support pieces to if you feel you need them. Planning is really your greatest tool....while it may be convenient to use whatever you have available at the moment, in the long run it could end up costing you more, because if you make then you might have to start all over. So you yes, you may spend a bit more money, but in the long run it pays off.

I'm currently building an Iron Man helmet for the fun of it....bought a big moving box for $1.50, and have enough cardboard for at least 3 more helmets if I wanted to build them. This product has literally cost me $3 for the cardboard and craft foam I've used. After paint, I'm looking at maybe a $12 build. Just showing that its very doable to build stuff using common products for cheap.

I want to use the dry wall for the middle section

I would still strongly discourage you from using drywall. I've attached an image below of what you can expect to happen when drywall takes a slight knock - this was an absolute pain in the backside to repair. Plus, I'm not entirely certain that fibreglass and foam are two mediums that mix very well - please reconsider the mediums you're using in this project.

As before, I would suggest trying to use cardboard for your first prop. It's a lot cheaper and more forgiving, and you'll be able to find different grades of thickness to add some rigidity to your build.

Attachments

• a wee oopsie.JPG
    a wee oopsie.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 239
How much cardboard should I use? I'm currently at 5 slices in 3 hours, how much slices should I have?

Measure the thickness of your cardboard, then find the width of your prop. Once you have the overall width your weapon needs to be, divide that by the width of your cardboard (for example, a 10cm wide prop would require 20 cardboard slices at 5mm per slice).

omg... I can only find 1mm cardboard at dollar tree, if I don't want it to be deformed... reduced size- 30 cardboard pieces, origin. size- 70 cardboard pieces...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back