Mesh's ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesh

Hello all, I shall be posting pictures of my ODST here!
Any advice, comments, criticisms appreciated, keep in mind this is my first build c:

And yeah, I know my cuts aren't smooth, and no, I'm not too bothered, it's my first time :D

I am following Andrew Cook's (DaFrontlineTrooper) tutorial, with my own quirks.

First Pictures: Shin Pieces c:
VQM13SN.jpg
fGii2Tb.jpg

Nice! Keep it up. You'll have a suit in no time!
My advice is to include what your quirks are. Point out when you do something differently, or when you have to create something new or do it in a new way to get it to work for you. Or when you're particularly happy with how something turned out, or that something didn't. Like it's great that you mentioned that you know the cuts aren't perfect. It is awesome to acknowledge it. That makes it yours. And you're right to not dwell on it. It's your first one and you are going to learn a lot along the way. Trust me, I've only done one small piece and I've learned so much and at every turn!

If you're having a tough time with smooth cuts, I think using a sharpening stone for your blades is good. (Or you could just buy blades over and over again)
Another thing I suggest is taking a look at Spacemeat's tutorial with his armor, you can definitely use some of his techniques. Just be sure to dig around the site and learn from other people's builds.

Nice! Keep it up. You'll have a suit in no time!
My advice is to include what your quirks are. Point out when you do something differently, or when you have to create something new or do it in a new way to get it to work for you. Or when you're particularly happy with how something turned out, or that something didn't.

Will do mate c:

If you're having a tough time with smooth cuts, I think using a sharpening stone for your blades is good. (Or you could just buy blades over and over again)
It's not that I'm having trouble, it's just it's my first time and I really don't mind it right now :b

I was having trouble adding images to my post so double post immediately sorry...

but, more pictures :D

Waist section done, kinda, just test fitting
12204759_996749093680369_1484197372_n.jpg

I also added some strapping to the shin pieces, a little unorthadox I know but seeing I had no buckles, and only noticing that minute how bag straps work, I think it's rather cool :b
11667020_997731826915429_1248561192_n.jpg

Not sure if anyone wants to take my advice or even if I can follow my own, but I would like to see more people concentrating on the little things that let suits down. Especially the gaps between the armour pieces. Nothing worse than seeing baggy clothing, blue jeans or the like in between technical armour. It just throws the whole thing out. Underarmour is very important - just as important as all the stuff on the outside we all spend so much time on.

Kat armour build by LilTyrant comes to mind when it comes to HALO suits. She is the bomb that girl and we could all learn very valuable lessons from her efforts and attention to detail. http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=35790

SB

Nothing worse than seeing baggy clothing, blue jeans or the like in between technical armour. It just throws the whole thing out. Underarmour is very important -

I'm going with a Reach style ODST when it comes to under armour, Combat Shirt and Trousers :D Besides, I can't really afford much in terms of expensive body armour rigs and underarmour leggings and such, or even sewing machines and fabric to make my own so..

looking really good so far. Don't worry about the little gaps and smooth cuts. that will take care of itself in time. The more you work at it, the better your skill will become.

More pictures :D The chest this time :b
I found it difficult to get the scaling correct on this, but I think I got it alright :B

I'm using Velcro under the side connectors to hold it together, as I found it difficult to get it other my head properly and once I have a few layers on, ease of access is ideal tbh

12200700_998190146869597_597389138_n.jpg
12202211_998190243536254_1007688330_n.jpg

My mirror is dirty, I know, long story

Looks good! I'm finishing up my first build at the moment and my cuts aren't incredibly clean either. We can always use more ODSTs :) Also...

My mirror is dirty, I know, long story
..Should I ask? Lol, just yanking your chain. Anyways, hope it comes along well!

More pictures :D Chest pieces c: I've gone 'Me-style' here as I screwd up the template and as I was coming to the end of my foam lot I improvised with scraps :b

XcomCZZ.jpg
af8fpQ6.jpg

Don't worry about it! It's looking good! Just make sure the straps are long enough that the front and back are parallel when you wear it.. can't be wearing a triangle. Also, is there any way to add a bit more 3-dimensionality to the iconic chestpiece?

I agree with Boros. I remember Blue Fox describing it as "puffy in the middle." I don't know how well foam holds its shape with just air in there, but maybe you could stuff a little bit of cloth inside to help round it before gluing on that middle piece. In the We are ODST video
you can see a really good shot of the part he's talking about at 2:16 Looking great though Mesh! I guess I was right that you'd have the suit in no time. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Boros. I remember Blue Fox describing it as "puffy in the middle." I don't know how well foam holds its shape with just air in there, but maybe you could stuff a little bit of cloth inside to help round it before gluing on that middle piece.

Uhhh, yeah, about that, it's kinda, already glued on e.e I'll see what I can do :b But I also have more pictures c:

12212531_998477146840897_1065512934_n.jpg
I started on the gauntlets and of course I made my phone fit one :b

Uhhh, yeah, about that, it's kinda, already glued on e.e I'll see what I can do :b But I also have more pictures c:

View attachment 20454
I started on the gauntlets and of course I made my phone fit one :b

Neat! I should have done that instead of making this damn Pipboy ! Lol

As far as the already gluing goes... Post what exactly you are using for glue and I am sure someone here can tell you an effective way to undo it. I'm doing pepakura with hot glue, so my advice would not be applicable.

As far as the already gluing goes... Post what exactly you are using for glue and I am sure someone here can tell you an effective way to undo it. I'm doing pepakura with hot glue, so my advice would not be applicable.

I am using hot glue too :b

I also use hot glue but it looks like yours is a helluva lot cleaner than mine. I'm assuming you burn yourself a lot less too. Can you add a few more layers of foam or anything to the chest? Just an idea. Looking good!

Oh then that is easy (and dido @The BorosBoss I get so messy and burn myself all the time. I got a new gun though that doesn't get as hot, both minis, and it seemed to help a lot).
To unglue it, just get it hot again. :) You shouldn't need to push more glue out. Just wedge the nose of the gun into the seem at one end and push slowly against the glue going along the seem. As you're going you can slowly pull the two pieces apart. (Side note, the glue itself is very hot and squeezing more out makes this process go faster, but creates a bigger mess.

Wasn't I here just a few days ago? That's some amazing progress!
By the way, did you ever consider doing battle damage? I've used it before to disguise my mistakes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back