Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor Build

It's looking really great! Can't wait to see more. I am also currently doing a build of Argus and have been tasked with making a HERMES gen 2 as well ( my fault I told friends to be Blue Team for feb :p)
Also I might suggest doing the boot parts with either some fiberglass cloth or in a foam(for flexibility) perhaps, it's just an idea!

It's looking really great! Can't wait to see more. I am also currently doing a build of Argus and have been tasked with making a HERMES gen 2 as well ( my fault I told friends to be Blue Team for feb :p)
Also I might suggest doing the boot parts with either some fiberglass cloth or in a foam(for flexibility) perhaps, it's just an idea!

Thanks! :D
Wow, two Blue Team armors! Linda's and Kelly's! I hope you'll post some photos and updates too! :D

Oh, I plan on fiberglassing and rondo'ing all the parts, I want all of them to be durable and not to break on me :O
But thanks for the tip ;)

I'll pass on the foam, I'll just do some necessary undersuit parts and that's all... also was thinking about using some foam for armor detailing later on.

Your pieces are super clean. How are you going to visor it up? The front angle is pretty tight. Motorcycle visors don't come in those angles.

Your pieces are super clean. How are you going to visor it up? The front angle is pretty tight. Motorcycle visors don't come in those angles.

Oh, I didn't plan on using motorcycle helmet... I was thinking about using some plastic sheet and forming it under heat to match the form.
Well, I also read about the vacuum-forming, but it's kinda too expensive to build the frame and especially to buy a toaster or anything to heat it up. It works great I've seen, but too expensive for me.
Since I need just one visor I'll try to form the visor with details, then get some transparent plastic and form it under heat of hairdryer or heatgun... and then paint it with some window-transluscent paints to make it blue and I was also thinking about the "hexagon" pattern.

clear plastics tends to warp under heat so you might end up w/ distorted vision when looking through it. You can never get the temp or the distance from the heat-gun exact to make plastic soft enough to bend w/o some warp-age. The hex pattern can be stenciled in. You might do 2 coats of the translucent paint, make sure the first coat is extremely thin/light, then put the hex stents on then paint 2nd coat. Just an idea.

clear plastics tends to warp under heat so you might end up w/ distorted vision when looking through it. You can never get the temp or the distance from the heat-gun exact to make plastic soft enough to bend w/o some warp-age. The hex pattern can be stenciled in. You might do 2 coats of the translucent paint, make sure the first coat is extremely thin/light, then put the hex stents on then paint 2nd coat. Just an idea.

Oh, I mean to make a from from the pep - the visor is hardening along with the helmet... I'll get hard and then I'll just do some more work on it and then the "form" will be ready.
I'm not sure yeah what I'll use, I thought of hairdryer first as they can get much heat, if not I can go for heatgun and heat it from a distance.

I mean, it's a think plastic it shouldn't need that much heat to warp it.

I collect figures like McFarlane's or NECA's and especially NECA's figures come often distorted (bent leg or arm) so I often heated the plastic with hairdryer or hot water to warp it. I also sometimes make custom figures so it also works for removing or swapping parts.
The visor is lot thinner so it should work I think.

As for the hexagon pattern... First I was thinking of kind of making the hex pattern on the form, so it'd be embedded into the visor but I scratched the idea because it could look bit funny... I'm not sure if I can get hex - stickers but I was thinking of just putting a hexagon pattern material and spray on top of it with lighter shade of color.

For the visor might I suggest checkout out this Etsy shop. I haven't used them yet, but just ordered some for two projects (a Mark VI helmet for testing and an ODST). The description says they fold much like card stock and some reviewers mentioned visibility saying it was just right.

Great build so far. Can't wait to see more as you progress. Good luck.

For the visor might I suggest checkout out this Etsy shop. I haven't used them yet, but just ordered some for two projects (a Mark VI helmet for testing and an ODST). The description says they fold much like card stock and some reviewers mentioned visibility saying it was just right.

Great build so far. Can't wait to see more as you progress. Good luck.

Thank you for the suggestion :D

Good luck. You know that we're keeping tabs and looking forward to another excellent piece from you.

Thank you for the suggestion but I'll have to pass. I don't want a metallic visor. For some they might look cool but they are too shiny for me... I'd rather try my idea first. :D
There are some artistic acrylic paints that you can use to paint on glass - they are transluscent and I wanted to experiment with that.

As for the visor I wanted a similar color to Palmer's visor, such shade of blue.

With Clear or tinted visors made from thin plastic they can tend to be difficult to see out of at times. On my ODST helmet it has a blue tinted vacuum formed visor with a thin coat of silver metallic paint on the inside. The only problem is in medium to low light conditions it's almost impossible to see out of. Most of the time I only wear the helmet to take pictures. Either way they still look good put in the helmet if they are done right.

Good luck. You know that we're keeping tabs and looking forward to another excellent piece from you.

Thanks, I'll do my best. ;)

With Clear or tinted visors made from thin plastic they can tend to be difficult to see out of at times. On my ODST helmet it has a blue tinted vacuum formed visor with a thin coat of silver metallic paint on the inside. The only problem is in medium to low light conditions it's almost impossible to see out of. Most of the time I only wear the helmet to take pictures. Either way they still look good put in the helmet if they are done right.

Thanks very much for the info! Didn't expect that... But I guess you have to accept that - your visor is very dark, almost like black so it's like you were wearing sunglasses, right?
I was thinking of light blue. Well, after that I did some research, it's still a long way to go, but I think I have an idea. :D
Thank you very much for the info ;)

In the meantime, something different... more handy ;)
I've been working on hand area for a longer time. It's all pretty much ready for finishing. :D
I even did the "trigger finger thing" on both hands... Just to finish the armor plates.

Aaand of course, later I'll finally start resining the knife. I left out the small area open as I want to pour resin in there, I want to fit a magnet inside to attach it on armor later on.

DSC00548.JPG

I was just thinking about painting... should I do a layer of spraying primer filler (it's a bondo in spray, right?) or a primer gray lack?

Sometimes it's better to spray a high build primer on the parts. Typically it will highlight any major areas that require additional filler while at the same time hiding some minor imperfections. this type of primer can also be sanded more to make minor adjustmentst. As for bondo in a spray can it's really not it's just a much thicker material than regular primer. Regular spray primer typically is used to give an even surface for painting so unless the part is perfect I wouldn't recommend using it unless you planned on painting it without any additional filler work. Another thing to note is that no form of spray primer will completely get rid of all the imperfections. Typically it requires minor filler work after a high build coat as well. If it was me I would buy a can of both and use the high build first. then sand it, fix anything remaining with glazing putty and re sand, followed by spraying with just regular primer and wet sanding before paint.

Sometimes it's better to spray a high build primer on the parts. Typically it will highlight any major areas that require additional filler while at the same time hiding some minor imperfections. this type of primer can also be sanded more to make minor adjustmentst. As for bondo in a spray can it's really not it's just a much thicker material than regular primer. Regular spray primer typically is used to give an even surface for painting so unless the part is perfect I wouldn't recommend using it unless you planned on painting it without any additional filler work. Another thing to note is that no form of spray primer will completely get rid of all the imperfections. Typically it requires minor filler work after a high build coat as well. If it was me I would buy a can of both and use the high build first. then sand it, fix anything remaining with glazing putty and re sand, followed by spraying with just regular primer and wet sanding before paint.

Thanks! But TBH I didn't want to "fiddle" with such tiny parts with bondo... Thanks for the tip. ;)

Anyway, worked yesterday on sanding and preparing the pieces for the gloves. Primed them and today I'm painting them. Aye, it's light gray color and I plan on doing bit "weathered" armor.

glove.jpg

Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor Build [+ more]

How are you securing the armor bits to the glove? I'm working on some hands right now and was thinking of using some high-strength neodymium magnets worked into a bondo'd interior. probably wont do that though, as if I rub against anything they're prone to fall off....

How are you securing the armor bits to the glove? I'm working on some hands right now and was thinking of using some high-strength neodymium magnets worked into a bondo'd interior. probably wont do that though, as if I rub against anything they're prone to fall off....

The parts are pepakura which I resined later. I didn't fill them whole with resin and I just cut off EVA foam and glued it onto it to make it more comfortable and "fitted" forms. Then I just used super glue to glue them on the gloves... and it sticks so good the foam will tear before it'll come off.

Ok, finished today one glove. I wanted to go for such armor damage. It's just through wear the paint is scratched and wore off leaving the metal... Because no paint is perfect and Chief may have a lot of luck for having his armor looking so clean after such long use. xD
So, in my head my character is overall "lucky", so hence the damage... and also hands grab and touch a lot of stuff, so the paint comes off a lot quicker than on other parts.
Phooto doesn't show perhaps a lot, but it's silver metal and it's quite shiny.

DSC00553.JPG

Those gloves look AWESOME. Very smooth pieces, and I like the hexagonal undersuit pattern on the forefinger. Are you going to put it on the thumb as well?

They look great but I was wondering about the thickness of the pieces. Do they get in the way? Ascetically they battle worn.........but they look very bulky. I haven't payed much attention to gloves yet as I'm still working on my helmet........(slow, I know)......so I might just be talking out of my backside.......and that is they way they are in general. I don't know. They still look great.

Very cool. I like the super worn look.

Thanks! I thought Chief has to have a very special paint on his armor that it still is in such good condition after such use... Normally we use our hands for literally everything... and if you touch, rub or use anything with a layer of paint on it it'll tear and wear pretty fast... So hence the wear. ^^

Those gloves look AWESOME. Very smooth pieces, and I like the hexagonal undersuit pattern on the forefinger. Are you going to put it on the thumb as well?

THank you very much! :D I used the hexagon pattern only on the trigger finger as it;s actually the sole finger with such "protection" o.o Dunno why, but the thumb is unprotected... I'm not going to add there anything to not shorten the movements. I want to be able move freely in the suit. ;)

und.JPG

They look great but I was wondering about the thickness of the pieces. Do they get in the way? Ascetically they battle worn.........but they look very bulky. I haven't payed much attention to gloves yet as I'm still working on my helmet........(slow, I know)......so I might just be talking out of my backside.......and that is they way they are in general. I don't know. They still look great.

Thanks! :D They actually don't hinder the movement and articulation. I tested it too. I'm building the Scout armor and the pieces on the hands look bit bulky but it doesn't disturb me. I have smaller hands so maybe it's the illusion or also the Spartan models have very very long fingers too.
It's my first build and encounter with pepakura so I'm basically doing everything for the first time and I want it to be good... So I started with something small - the hands as a first try. Helmet will be the last thing I'll be finishing as helmet is something very important in my opinion and I want to have experience to work on it.
Here are to photos where you can see how it looks when holding the pistol. It doesn't really affect the movement.

DSC00554.JPGDSC00555.JPG

Anyway, finished the second glove and I'm very happy how these came out. It looks good to me and the people I asked in person they said it looks really good and it has the illusion of metal underneath the paint... which is great, it was something I wanted to achieve. I'll make some more photos in normal light soon.

Anyway, moved to feet. Yeah, I want to gain experience and working with smaller things first... So, in this case - the feet. Feet, something I started the pepakura... which is a funny story, because for the first time I printed these without scaling... and after finishing them I looked like a Spartan Hobbit. Later I resized them and it looked ok, but they were too big. Third try and I have these.
I'm using some cheap sports shoes, I found them whole in black which is great! I glued the pieces onto the shoes (just in important parts so they don't fall off) so they won't warp and they'll form properly onto the shoes. In-game the Scout shoes were on the ground, but for the sake of walking comfortably I made them so they fit with the form of the shoe.
Sadly, you can see there is a little bit of damage on one shoe... I pepped them like a month ago (today just finished the small parts) and once accidentally something fell on the pep. X_X On the other side I'll be using the bondo-rondo-thing, so it doesn't matter... but my pepakura was nice so it was kinda a bummer. XD
Today I did the first layer of resin on the outside. :)

DSC00556.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back