Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your gauntlet is so smooth and clean! Mara, how are you so good at this??

Thanks. ;_; I just spent lot of time sanding it! After few days I deemed it worthy and finished, even if there are still imperfections, but they shouldn't be visible after I finish painting and weathering.
You have no idea how many times I had to make small bondo portions to cover up a section or two and and and. :D

After never ending layers I was so desperate I made a photo with "Please, no more" :D

WP_20160604_18_39_46_Pro.jpg

Agreed ^

Mara, you're putting me off making my own suit as it'll never be equal to or greater than yours. :p

Out of interest, how did you do those outline grooves in the grey areas? Dremel?

Like BlazedStarbon said - don't get demotivated. Nothing is impossible.
I started this build at end of September, it took few months already, but I don't want to rush it. I want it to be as good as I possibly can do it.

I drew the lines with a pencil first, then used dremmel and carved them.

We all must start somewhere. Other builds should inspire, not create hesitation, Spartans ;)

Keep up the wonders, Mara!

Totally agree. Other builds should inspire and motivate ourselves, not demotivate and feel bad.
Thank you very much!

Great work Mara!

I like that shot with the knife.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Thanks. ;)

If that final shot is just 'angry palmer', then i'd hate to see RAGE-MODE palmer!!

Looks great!, the amount of detail you were able to capture in this piece and all the others is outstanding !!
(no pressure for the future pieces)

Now you get to do all that sanding all over again for the other one!!

Haha, thank you. Helmet covers the face and expression so you could rage while you still have pokerface, hehe.
Thanks. I tried my best. Even learned that Halo 5 version has a lot less detail on the forearm! Wow, was so surprised.

And yes, now I have to get to the other one. :/ But after seeing it done on my arm I'm very motivated! :D

Unflipping believable. FANTASTIC!!! such a smooth piece. If this is piece is any indication (As if others haven't already) of what the end produce is going to look like......I think there is going to have to be an additional tier created. Movie Quality Tier.

Unflipping believable. FANTASTIC!!! such a smooth piece. If this is piece is any indication (As if others haven't already) of what the end produce is going to look like......I think there is going to have to be an additional tier created. Movie Quality Tier.

Thank you very much!
I'll destroy the smoothness soon though... Adding scratches and weather it. XD

Nah, isn't it already the Legendary Tier? I hope to get to the Tier-2 thought... but - finish the costume first.

Just to clarify; Your build absolutely inspires and motivates me, my comment was meant as more of a joke than actually being true.

The quality of your build wasn't a joke, though. It's absolutely amazing. And as I've said previously, it's one of the builds that has given me the motivation needed to finally start my own.

Alright, just an (almost daily) update for today.

Rather small one though - I removed all the hard edges from the helmet to start working on the outside - I still have to slush some rondo on some parts on the inside though... but that means I can start working on the outside of the helmet AND GET RID OFF ALL THAT PINK!

Also, prepared the other forearm for sanding, yay.

WP_20160606_21_40_56_Pro.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Just to clarify; Your build absolutely inspires and motivates me, my comment was meant as more of a joke than actually being true.

The quality of your build wasn't a joke, though. It's absolutely amazing. And as I've said previously, it's one of the builds that has given me the motivation needed to finally start my own.

WOW. Then I'm VERY happy I was a help in terms of motivation and it made you start your own build!
Can't wait for you sharing the progress. :D
And thank you.

Really nice clean work mara!

Thank you.

Oh, dayuuuuum!!! As soon as I saw that sick stenciled and smooth forearm I lost my shiz. I don't know how you manage to get so much done in such little time. you're amazing. :D :D :D :D :D :Dc

You just take your time. That forearm is simply stunning.

When you are building such things with lots of parts, there is a tendency to get sick and tired of the monotonous sanding and finishing. The temptation is to get rougher and rush it as you get closer to the end. Just slow down and spend as much time as is needed on each individual piece to get it looking lovely. If you are looking at it thinking, "that's pretty good, but that lump is annoying me", then stick with it kid, fix that lump.

If the rest of the suit is as good if not better than that forearm, yours will be the talk of the town.

You have my attention.

SB

Alright, I have retired for the day.
I'll be doing from now on these daily updates, these help me too to keep track on my progress and to get more done... and if someone's interested, you can see more closely how I (n00b) work.

First - the people finished renovating the roof! That means I'll be able to work bit more from now on! :D

Not that much progress today.

I covered helmet in rondo.
To explain why do I like to cover the outside with rondo - that layer of rondo on the helmet smoothed it a lot! I will quickly get rid off that shiny outerlayer, but it's a lot smoother.
It'll be just easier and faster to me tto work with bondo to make it round and smooth.

Also, initially I planned leaving helmet for the end, as last part to work on. I thought should I not finish everything, it's better to not have helmet than not have a forearm, shoulder or thigh or such.
However, lately I really wanted to cover up that ugly pink AND I kind of want to finish the helmet to see the end result. :D
Also - I ordered fans - they should come tomorrow. First I didn't want to use fans, but now I really thought about using them as they could be very helpful. If my visor would fog - turn them on, if I'd get too hot inside - turn them on. Better to have them and not need them rather than need them and not have them.

Still - I'm very confident I'll finish the whole costume in the remaining two months (and few days more).

As for the forearm - here you can see it covered in layer of bondo with little bit of resin - I like to add even just tiny bit of resin to make the bondo more fluid so it's easier to apply and it's actually smoother.

WP_20160607_18_07_53_Pro.jpg

Here you can see when I sanded just that one layer of bondo. I'm actually very happy how it looks now, just after that one layer.
It covered many edged and made it smoother.
Sure, I'll have to use more bondo but I'm happy how it looks just after that one layer.

I'm confident to say I could finish it tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

WP_20160607_21_04_30_Pro.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, dayuuuuum!!! As soon as I saw that sick stenciled and smooth forearm I lost my shiz. I don't know how you manage to get so much done in such little time. you're amazing. :D :D :D :D :D :Dc

Thank you very much. :)
I know somehow using decals could be easier and faster, but I rather use stencils and paint on them. It looks them more real to me, because it looks the same as the paint and not like a sticker.
I make my templates digitally - print them out on paper, cut them out, trace on the armor part on the tape, then cut out the tape and spray the paint.

Here you can see the prepared cut out tape to paint, and then the result.
There were some imperfections, but it was very easy to fix.

WP_20160605_20_35_45_Pro.jpgWP_20160605_21_03_08_Pro.jpg

Now, that's a slick visor!

Thank you.

You just take your time. That forearm is simply stunning.

When you are building such things with lots of parts, there is a tendency to get sick and tired of the monotonous sanding and finishing. The temptation is to get rougher and rush it as you get closer to the end. Just slow down and spend as much time as is needed on each individual piece to get it looking lovely. If you are looking at it thinking, "that's pretty good, but that lump is annoying me", then stick with it kid, fix that lump.

If the rest of the suit is as good if not better than that forearm, yours will be the talk of the town.

You have my attention.

SB

Thanks! I'm taking my time, as much as I can. I don't want to rush it - I'm already investing my time into this build and making something fast would feel like I just wasted my time overall. :/

Yeah. I totally agree about that it just becomes monotonous when you're sanding, filling and sanding again. That's why I prefer to work on one part at the time... Maybe two, but not more.
If I was sanding all parts, sure, there would still be progress, but I rather focus on one part to finish it - after it's finished it feels like actual progress and it's very motivation to do more.
Then I can happily move to the other part. And so on.
Doing all parts at the same time wouldn't feel so good, rather as "sanding forever".

I'm just trying to make this build as good as I can and as in-game accurate as I can especially that I'm doing Palmer cosplay. I dunno, making characters is to me more like there is more pressure to make it as believable as I can since it's a character. I will still make some personal details as Palmer's armor is very similar to what I always was having in the games, so I can just merge it, haha. :D

But yeah... Actually, I'm quite perfectionist when it comes to these things. Such lump would irritate me forever.
I know I could have still worked on that forearm piece and all other pieces - I could be so picky that I'd be working on one piece forever.
It isn't the point, then I would finish it, if I'd focus too much on the details.

I still see imperfections on the forearm piece, but I'm satisfied with how it looks and after I'll weather it, these imperfections won't be visible anyway.

Thank you very much, means a lot coming from you - the Iron Man master! :D

Thanks! I'm taking my time, as much as I can. I don't want to rush it - I'm already investing my time into this build and making something fast would feel like I just wasted my time overall. :/

Yeah. I totally agree about that it just becomes monotonous when you're sanding, filling and sanding again. That's why I prefer to work on one part at the time... Maybe two, but not more.
If I was sanding all parts, sure, there would still be progress, but I rather focus on one part to finish it - after it's finished it feels like actual progress and it's very motivation to do more.
Then I can happily move to the other part. And so on.
Doing all parts at the same time wouldn't feel so good, rather as "sanding forever".

I'm just trying to make this build as good as I can and as in-game accurate as I can especially that I'm doing Palmer cosplay. I dunno, making characters is to me more like there is more pressure to make it as believable as I can since it's a character. I will still make some personal details as Palmer's armor is very similar to what I always was having in the games, so I can just merge it, haha. :D

But yeah... Actually, I'm quite perfectionist when it comes to these things. Such lump would irritate me forever.
I know I could have still worked on that forearm piece and all other pieces - I could be so picky that I'd be working on one piece forever.
It isn't the point, then I would finish it, if I'd focus too much on the details.

I still see imperfections on the forearm piece, but I'm satisfied with how it looks and after I'll weather it, these imperfections won't be visible anyway.

Thank you very much, means a lot coming from you - the Iron Man master! :D[/QUOTE]

Oh don't worry, there are many imperfections in my suit too. There comes a point where you decide, how much time is too long on a single project? Especially when you have family....

If you can live with it, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Stay cool sister.

SB

Oh don't worry, there are many imperfections in my suit too. There comes a point where you decide, how much time is too long on a single project? Especially when you have family....

If you can live with it, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Stay cool sister.

SB

I don't see any of these imperfections!
But yeah, I agree - you have to decide how much time is too long.
I wouldn't want to build it for 2 years or something. :/
NOPE.
And I know it took you even longer than that. :D

Thanks and you too. :D

It's just going to stick in my craw that you are going to put battle damage on to the suit eventually.The pieces look FANTASTIC so far.....just to "damage" it.......after making it perfect...........they look like they are fresh off the assembly line in a factory.

It's just going to stick in my craw that you are going to put battle damage on to the suit eventually.The pieces look FANTASTIC so far.....just to "damage" it.......after making it perfect...........they look like they are fresh off the assembly line in a factory.

Thanks! :D
That's why I have to weather and damage it! :D
New from factory with that new fresh smell? No thank you, it has to get some damage and scratches and all that. >:D
It's funny when you're doing something to look as good as you can just to damage and scratch it afterwards... heh.

How'd you get the visor for the helm?

Just as general info everyone: I've been writing in this thread and answering it too many times already, so I won't anymore - you can search the thread if you want, but I won't do it for you, with all due respect.

Just as general info everyone: I've been writing in this thread and answering it too many times already, so I won't anymore - you can search the thread if you want, but I won't do it for you, with all due respect.

I think the amount of times people have asked a similar question is down to the gods; punishing you for the lack of visor tutorial you once said you'd do. (You mentioned it like 4 days ago but that isn't the point.)

I think the amount of times people have asked a similar question is down to the gods; punishing you for the lack of visor tutorial you once said you'd do. (You mentioned it like 4 days ago but that isn't the point.)

I promised I will make a tutorial - and I will, but still - I did a quick explanation video how I did it and all in the video on the page 18 (and I explained it MANY more times throughout the thread either writing on my own or answering), there is also credit for the hex material on my very first post on the thread. I'm not going to waste my own time explaining something I explained many times before or search my own thread because they didn't or were too lazy or any other reason. Especially that the video is was seriously ONE page earlier.

I am getting sick of people asking you how you made the visor too.

Now, how did you get the hex pattern on your undersuit again?

[emoji51]

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back