Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor Build [+ more]

Looks awesome. and yes the glove armor doesn't look like it gets in the way. Great job!!! As for the damaged pep, use it. You are going for a weathered/battle damaged look any way..........It' strange.......we all try to build these things perfect and then show battle scaring on the armor??? go figure.....

Looks awesome. and yes the glove armor doesn't look like it gets in the way. Great job!!! As for the damaged pep, use it. You are going for a weathered/battle damaged look any way..........It' strange.......we all try to build these things perfect and then show battle scaring on the armor??? go figure.....

Aye! It's so irrational! XD
It's just... Pepakura takes a lot of time, patience and effort, you know to make it good, because A LOT in Pepakura can go easily wrong... So after finally gluing last piece makes you proud, right? :D
I think that's the reason. xD
With the "foot part" I later thought it'll make a nice battle damage anyway as if you're kicking something you'll damage it, make some scratches and maybe dents in the armor, right? XD But still... It was my 3rd time I did the foot-parts ;_;
It hurts us precious, it was 3rd time we did the same piece because we weren't able to scale it properly... Gollum... Gollum... Gollum... ;_;

Them gloves look mentle!! Very well done :)

Thanks! :D I'll make photos in normal daylight soon... The artificial light makes everything so... yellow. ._.

Amazing? Then let's talk about those knuckle pieces. :p I'm not kidding. Great ideas, brilliant execution. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of your progress.

It's looking really good. Glad you posted those pics showing bending your fingers on the gun to show the flexibility with those pieces on your fingers. Can see you're really paying attention to even the small details and making this a great build. Curious: how many hours would you guess you've put in so far? Any deadline or goal date? Keep us posted.

Amazing? Then let's talk about those knuckle pieces. :p I'm not kidding. Great ideas, brilliant execution. I'm looking forward to watching the rest of your progress.

Thanks, haha. :D

It's looking really good. Glad you posted those pics showing bending your fingers on the gun to show the flexibility with those pieces on your fingers. Can see you're really paying attention to even the small details and making this a great build. Curious: how many hours would you guess you've put in so far? Any deadline or goal date? Keep us posted.

Thank you. ^^ I'll do more pictures in the daylight - just lately I kinda missed the light... days have been very dark, heh.
Well, what can I say? I really want to make it as good as I can. :D It probably won't be perfect but, oh well. ^^ If I'm investing my time, money and nerves, I want it to be good, right? ;)
Oh man... How many hours? I registered here at the end of September so it was there when I downloaded the files and started working on these... It took a lot of time as I had to re-do most of the pieces as I couldn't scale them properly so either they were way too big, too big or too small... Took 2-3+ times to get most of the pieces right... But all pepakura is finished, so that's a good thing, haha. ^^
End of september... Count it October, November... 2 months so far. Ok, only gloves finished, but everything else is ready to be resined or is already in the process. So, it isn't bad, I'd say. ^^"
My deadline? Officially there is none real deadline, but there is a big fantasy convention in my country which will take place in April 2016 and I'd love to go there with my finished costume. :) I think about 4 months should be ok to finish it... (I'm leaving the helmet as last to gain experience and also if I won't be able to finish it in time - I'll be able to go with the whole armor without helmet then)

Thanks! I thought Chief has to have a very special paint on his armor that it still is in such good condition after such use... Normally we use our hands for literally everything... and if you touch, rub or use anything with a layer of paint on it it'll tear and wear pretty fast... So hence the wear. ^^

THank you very much! :D I used the hexagon pattern only on the trigger finger as it;s actually the sole finger with such "protection" o.o Dunno why, but the thumb is unprotected... I'm not going to add there anything to not shorten the movements. I want to be able move freely in the suit. ;)

View attachment 20924

Thanks! :D They actually don't hinder the movement and articulation. I tested it too. I'm building the Scout armor and the pieces on the hands look bit bulky but it doesn't disturb me. I have smaller hands so maybe it's the illusion or also the Spartan models have very very long fingers too.
It's my first build and encounter with pepakura so I'm basically doing everything for the first time and I want it to be good... So I started with something small - the hands as a first try. Helmet will be the last thing I'll be finishing as helmet is something very important in my opinion and I want to have experience to work on it.
Here are to photos where you can see how it looks when holding the pistol. It doesn't really affect the movement.

View attachment 20925View attachment 20926

Anyway, finished the second glove and I'm very happy how these came out. It looks good to me and the people I asked in person they said it looks really good and it has the illusion of metal underneath the paint... which is great, it was something I wanted to achieve. I'll make some more photos in normal light soon.

Anyway, moved to feet. Yeah, I want to gain experience and working with smaller things first... So, in this case - the feet. Feet, something I started the pepakura... which is a funny story, because for the first time I printed these without scaling... and after finishing them I looked like a Spartan Hobbit. Later I resized them and it looked ok, but they were too big. Third try and I have these.
I'm using some cheap sports shoes, I found them whole in black which is great! I glued the pieces onto the shoes (just in important parts so they don't fall off) so they won't warp and they'll form properly onto the shoes. In-game the Scout shoes were on the ground, but for the sake of walking comfortably I made them so they fit with the form of the shoe.
Sadly, you can see there is a little bit of damage on one shoe... I pepped them like a month ago (today just finished the small parts) and once accidentally something fell on the pep. X_X On the other side I'll be using the bondo-rondo-thing, so it doesn't matter... but my pepakura was nice so it was kinda a bummer. XD
Today I did the first layer of resin on the outside. :)

View attachment 20927

Are you going to paint the Boomco pistol.

Wow I've got so say, really impressive! Great focus on the details, and as far as visors go I like the idea of a non metallic look.

Are you going to paint the Boomco pistol.

Yes, of course. :)
I've modded it a bit - removed the shooting mechanism so I can "reload" it and shoot it anytime without it locking to put the darts... But I want to experiment with magnets to be able to get it on my armor, so it's put on hold for now. :)

Wow I've got so say, really impressive! Great focus on the details, and as far as visors go I like the idea of a non metallic look.

Thank you very much. :)
Well, the visor will be more or less metallic, but I want to achieve the metallic look not looking too plastic... I hope my idea will work out... if not, I'll use what it'll work. :D

Ok. Sadly there is no real update. I'm just resining different parts... They take forever to dry, so the process is slow. But, Winter Is Coming.
Seriously, it's very cold here and it's getting colder... I moved things to the basement as it's bit warmer there, but it isn't warm enough for them to dry faster... So yeah... Sadly it'll take a while. v_v

I'll begin soon with the undersuit, I ordered a mannequin and a morphsuit, so it should come next week. I'll go with the style of Halo 4, because I preferred the hexagon-like pattern on it rather than being all smooth and shiny... :/

BUT, I decided on the colors.

Originally I planned to paint armor in light gray with dark gray and some red details and blue visor. After I posted a photo on FB in a group I received some comments that I resemble a bit Commander Palmer and I could cosplay her (or they mistaken my build for Palmer cosplay). I was thinking, because the colors I wanted to do are quite similar... So actually I could do both together, because why not.
I always liked to roleplay that my character would be a sole member of the Crimson Fireteam, kinda black-ops, so it'd fit, as even in the Spartan Ops Crimson was being sent literally everywhere... And quoting her "I need a fireteam I can depend on and, until you prove otherwise, you’re it." - so yeah, it could be expained Crimson being the "personal errand dog", it'd get the similar armor color scheme as the commander.
I'm just gonna add some personal details like a number on the chest and such, but I liked the color scheme of Palmer in H4 and her changed in Halo 5. (seriously best markings, all other unlocked markings disturb me more or less) Small personal details, but I guess noone will really notice as Halo isn't that popular in my country and also Palmer isn't a popular character, but two things in one. :B

H5G-CmdrSarahPalmer.jpg

PS. Great. v.v I destroyed one finger-tip of my glove. ;_;

Ok, there has got to be a story in there as to how you destroyed a finger tip of your glove............spill it..........

Ok, there has got to be a story in there as to how you destroyed a finger tip of your glove............spill it..........

This is what happens when I want to make stuff better. v_v
I wanted to reposition a bit the glove and the earlier glue and the new one - it was too much and it felt very uncomfortable and I tried literally everything and it couldn't come off so either destroy the finger tip in the process to make fit again or leave it like that... and after imagining I'd have to wear it for hours where it was uncomfortable when I was wearing it for a moment... Sadly, I have to fix my mistake. T_T

Oh well... I already printed, cut and put together the pep and also the first layer of resin... Tomorrow second layer and hopefully it'll try fast to make up for my mistake. v_v
I was so stupid. T_T

That's one of the breaks of being a perfectionist! I've messed up so many things over the years trying to make them better. XD
I like that you bought one of the boomco pistols seeing it in a actual persons hand is a nice scale comparison. It seems smaller than I expected but then again it has shrunk in the newer titles. Either way the quality seems to be there. Only thing that I might do is fill the screw holes before painting it since the one in the game isn't really bolted together like that, but that's just my opinion lol. So far your build has been really nice can't wait to see some of the larger pieces painted!

That's one of the breaks of being a perfectionist! I've messed up so many things over the years trying to make them better. XD
I like that you bought one of the boomco pistols seeing it in a actual persons hand is a nice scale comparison. It seems smaller than I expected but then again it has shrunk in the newer titles. Either way the quality seems to be there. Only thing that I might do is fill the screw holes before painting it since the one in the game isn't really bolted together like that, but that's just my opinion lol. So far your build has been really nice can't wait to see some of the larger pieces painted!

Yeah, trying to make things better sucks. xD
Boomco pistol seems to be great in scale. It is bit smaller than in-game models, especially that Spartans are big and have huge hands... bigger than normal humans. I have bit smaller hands, so pistols fit perfectly but I can imagine being a big dude, then pistols can seem bit small. Anyway, the pistol and SMG look nice, but I've seen people complain about the Boomco Covenant Carbine being waaay too small.
I was thinking about filling the screw holes, but then if something happens you won't be able to open it anymore :/ So, you have to do everything else before that and only then you can seal them.

DSC00573.JPG

Well, and this is bigger or smaller update... or also bit of a tease because I didn't update the thread for too long.
In the meantime I finished few pieces.
The smaller parts on the left are for the shin pieces, then there is a piece for stomach/ab area and one of the elbow guards.
I have almost finished the boots today. Almost, because there are just some minor details to be done, but more on the shoe itself than on the pieces.
As I said, I'm going for the "quite-weathered and damaged" look... well, if you use to bump into things and fall and you are generally bit clumsy Spartan, your armor won't be all white and shiny.
Also, trying to distinguish the damaged areas from the gray paint.

For last, there is the helmet almost hardened. There is the story - I almost threw it away thinking it was too small. I sized it perfectly, *perfectly* to fit my head and to fit it exactly like it fits Spartans in-game and with the resource files. What I didn't expect were the little "holes" on the bottom (where I cut it off), they go inside deeper than the visor. Didn't see that coming, so I cut it away and I'll be hardening it. After this small fix the helmet fits perfectly and I don't have to destroy it and start anew, because I was really devastated... first so happy it was perfectly scaled matching the in-game model and then devastated it wouldn't fit.
Sometimes I think all armor designers should make their armors in real life to see how it'll work.

Anyway, for last a real fail... I made the assassination knife. All hardened and filled. As you can see it's broken in half. I was trying to use magnets.
It turned out I'm not an egghead (!) and I shouldn't put round magnets near each other. xD Oh well, I'll have to pep it again and I'll try something else.

More pics to come... soon.

Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Palmer) Build [+ more]

Alright, I'll be leaving in a moment to watch Star Wars again, this time in IMAX (and I have to travel for 2 hours to get to the city where it's located -_-)... in the meantime, I did a short video of me showing the shoes and gloves and how much movement you can get with these and a short helmet fit test.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah, trying to make things better sucks. xD
Boomco pistol seems to be great in scale. It is bit smaller than in-game models, especially that Spartans are big and have huge hands... bigger than normal humans. I have bit smaller hands, so pistols fit perfectly but I can imagine being a big dude, then pistols can seem bit small. Anyway, the pistol and SMG look nice, but I've seen people complain about the Boomco Covenant Carbine being waaay too small.
I was thinking about filling the screw holes, but then if something happens you won't be able to open it anymore :/ So, you have to do everything else before that and only then you can seal them.

Have fun at the movies....again......I do agree about the Boomco pistol. Being a big guy and wearing my armored gloves, the pistol feels tiny. I have to keep my pinkie on the outside of the grip. Bit like having afternoon tea w/ a pistol. Would I have to keep my pinkie pointed outward? What is the proper etiquette for discharging you weapon in such a manner?

Have fun at the movies....again......I do agree about the Boomco pistol. Being a big guy and wearing my armored gloves, the pistol feels tiny. I have to keep my pinkie on the outside of the grip. Bit like having afternoon tea w/ a pistol. Would I have to keep my pinkie pointed outward? What is the proper etiquette for discharging you weapon in such a manner?

Oh wow. That's pretty small :O I'm sorry the pistol is too small for you :( I can imagine how it has to look when guys wield them. :(

Oh wow. That's pretty small :O I'm sorry the pistol is too small for you :( I can imagine how it has to look when guys wield them. :(

Was making the Pepakura model for the Scout helmet hard? What advice would you give for someone also attempting to make the same model, the helmet atleast?

Was making the Pepakura model for the Scout helmet hard? What advice would you give for someone also attempting to make the same model, the helmet atleast?

Well, the helmet on the video is my 3rd try. :D
First one was waaaay too big... I failed on the second somewhere when gluing, because when finished the "beak" wasn't straight.
I wanted to make the helmet perfectly sized like in-game, not too big.
Overall it wasn't hard to make it. I enjoyed pepping all the files, MasterBuilder made great job. ^^ Very noob-friendly, so I didn't struggle on any file, not really... Unless it was me at fault because I didn't scale it properly and it came out too small / too big. (had to pep almost every single piece 2-3 times)

Well, the helmet on the video is my 3rd try. :D
First one was waaaay too big... I failed on the second somewhere when gluing, because when finished the "beak" wasn't straight.
I wanted to make the helmet perfectly sized like in-game, not too big.
Overall it wasn't hard to make it. I enjoyed pepping all the files, MasterBuilder made great job. ^^ Very noob-friendly, so I didn't struggle on any file, not really... Unless it was me at fault because I didn't scale it properly and it came out too small / too big. (had to pep almost every single piece 2-3 times)

Sounds like it wasn't too bad. Which thickness of cardstock did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back