Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nicely done Mara! Should of thrown the undersuit on to! But I know it's hard work enough to get all the armor on by yourself.

Also, I think you'll be surprised at how well you'll do at the competition! If not 1st place, I'll definitely think you'll be in the top 5 for sure!

Thanks! My undersuit isn't finished yet. ^^" I have to finish painting it, which I'll do most likely in the upcoming days.

Actually - it isn't hard to get the suit on by myself. The worst is the chest. Just because the rib section where I have to attach it is bit harder to reach, just uncomfortable for the arm to bend it and keep in this position.
But with the system I have planned, it's quite easy:

First legs - thighs, shins and boots. Then shoulders, then chest and lastly forearms and gloves. Helmet.
Done.

When I'll have the strapping system, it'll be pretty much the same, only the the strapping-skeleton-thing first, then just attach every piece to it.

Nah, the 30 people they chosen are very very talented. :)
Like, it's hard to compete with a cool Iron Man who has co2 jetpacks or any of the cool and very popular Overwatch characters, when you are Palmer, haha. :D
Also, there are no places, there is only the Winner and few categories like 'best dress' ' best armor/weapon' 'best original design' etc.
I'm just more like to have fun, show Palmer was there, find some things to punch and kick Covenant asses. :D

Hah, Shia never fails! :D

// UPDATE //

Finished painting left shoulder.

WP_20160805_03_39_31_Pro.jpg

Wow this has come along so much since i last saw it. Really great to see all the work. It looks like its been scaled perfectly and the detailing is great.

How are those pistols to hold? Are the weighty? Can you really hold them tight or do you have to be gentle with them?

Made progress today.

First, sanded and prepared thighs for bondo. I like to sand off any edges, especially where I want it to be smooth, also I rather remove all the shiny resin, dunno, I think so the surface is better prepared.

WP_20160805_16_20_58_Pro.jpg

Also, almost finished the chest, just some minor bondo and sanding, and done.
However, already drawn the pattern for details.

WP_20160805_19_55_13_Pro.jpg

Aaand back is pretty much done. Almost. Want to make a form and pour rondo into two places to kind of raise these places. Tomorrow.

Also, I'm missing screws. Will have to buy tomorrow.

WP_20160806_00_00_17_Pro.jpg

Wow this has come along so much since i last saw it. Really great to see all the work. It looks like its been scaled perfectly and the detailing is great.

How are those pistols to hold? Are the weighty? Can you really hold them tight or do you have to be gentle with them?

Hah, thank you very much. :)
I tried my best to scale everything perfectly, haha.

Well, I love the pistols. They are quite light, about 235g each. There isn't too much infill as I'll want to put magnets inside and for that I have to remove some of it.
I can hold them normally. Can squeeze it, but then I feel the plastic under stress giving in and bending. I don't see a reason in using force. I hold them normally. I don't need to touch them like they were made out of glass. :)

I have a dilemma, actually two.

1. Should I do actual battle damage on the chest like I did on the shoulder? Like, this time plasma damage from a plasma shot, not a slice from energy sword? Or maybe a damaged plate (it's hard to see what is actually underneath the outer plating as there are no details, just some blurry shots and even then, just very few...), dunno... If go with actual armor damage, I'd rather go with something small. Armor is supposed to be functional, like with the shoulder, even if the outer plating is damaged, the armor piece itself is still functional and not completely destroyed, etc.

palmerdamage.jpg

2. In Halo 4 Palmer had light in the thigh armor. If you look closely, you'll see a tiny small vertical stripe of glowing light... Until now I wanted to leave it out, because well it's so tiny... Should I leave it out or rather go with it?
Regardless I'm going with front+back chest and shoulder lights, but they are big and very visible.
... can't decide, sorry. ._.

H4_Palmer_render.png

Well done looking forward to seeing more you've done well with scaling it

Thank you very much.
Yeah, scaling was the biggest pain... Had to redo pretty much every piece even up to 5-6 times. Only chest was done once, but because I had printed the butt cover separately.

Also, my post with question unfortunately turned out to be the last post on the page... So, hardly anyone would read it. ^^"
Copy-paste.

I have a dilemma, actually two.

1. Should I do actual battle damage on the chest like I did on the shoulder? Like, this time plasma damage from a plasma shot, not a slice from energy sword? Or maybe a damaged plate (it's hard to see what is actually underneath the outer plating as there are no details, just some blurry shots and even then, just very few...), dunno... If go with actual armor damage, I'd rather go with something small. Armor is supposed to be functional, like with the shoulder, even if the outer plating is damaged, the armor piece itself is still functional and not completely destroyed, etc.

View attachment 30152
View attachment 30153

2. In Halo 4 Palmer had light in the thigh armor. If you look closely, you'll see a tiny small vertical stripe of glowing light... Until now I wanted to leave it out, because well it's so tiny... Should I leave it out or rather go with it?
Regardless I'm going with front+back chest and shoulder lights, but they are big and very visible.
... can't decide, sorry. ._.

View attachment 30151

Attachments

• palmerdamage.jpg
    palmerdamage.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 179
  • WP_20160805_03_39_31_Pro.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 184
  • H4_Palmer_render.png
    H4_Palmer_render.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 216
I don't know about anyone else, but I think chest battle damage is basically an inevitability. It's entirely up to you the amount and severity of the damage itself. I personally think that a couple plasma shots will look great.

As for the small thigh light. You'll do it regardless. There's no way you'll do so much amazing work on your amour to then leave out arguably one of the smallest and easiest parts of the whole thing. Do it. :)

I don't know about anyone else, but I think chest battle damage is basically an inevitability. It's entirely up to you the amount and severity of the damage itself. I personally think that a couple plasma shots will look great.

As for the small thigh light. You'll do it regardless. There's no way you'll do so much amazing work on your amour to then leave out arguably one of the smallest and easiest parts of the whole thing. Do it. :)

Thank you very much. :)
And yeah... I've bought flashlights, so lights on thighs are a go, haha. ;D

Looking great! I'd say go for the thigh light, you're doing the others so may as well complete the set :)

Thanks, I'm going to do it too. :)

Looking amazing. Keep up the great work

Thank you very much. :)

Just finished the chest.

Still have to do plasma damage in 2 small spots, but otherwise it's all finished and ready to be painted. :)

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-07 at 7.31.46 PM.jpeg

WP_20160807_19_50_26_Pro.jpg
DSC01321.JPG

Aaand plasma damage is done. Now it's all ready to be painted.

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-07 at 9.27.14 PM.jpeg

I meant to comment on your build for a long time now and I must say I am most impressed by the quality of the rendered pieces of armor you have going here ! Doing the whole suit out of paper instead of foam sure must be a heck of a task and you pull it off flawlessly. Congratulations and I cannot wait to see that chest piece painted and lit up !

Vivid

I meant to comment on your build for a long time now and I must say I am most impressed by the quality of the rendered pieces of armor you have going here ! Doing the whole suit out of paper instead of foam sure must be a heck of a task and you pull it off flawlessly. Congratulations and I cannot wait to see that chest piece painted and lit up !

Thank you very much for your kind words! :D
Well, it takes more time but personally I find it easier and more pleasant to make the costume this way. I tried using foam, but the results weren't satisfying (and more importantly - I was more irritated when working with foam) and I just can do much more when working the fiberglassed cardstock way.
I only did some soft parts with foam that will go onto the undersuit.

But really, thank you. I'm painting the chest today and I'm curious if I'll be able to finish spraying it today... It's so big! X_X
But... I have only 7-8 days left. ^^"

The wall paper is freaking me out........very 60's dropping acid looking........love the carved details....FANTASTIC!!!!....are you going to paint each of those individually?

Alright, the chest pieces are painted with light gray. Currently covering with tape to paint with the dark gray.

WP_20160808_15_45_47_Pro.jpg

I've started sanding and bondoing the thigh pieces... Thought I can share how I work.

Normally I don't add such thick layer of bondo, but here I need a thicker layer because I need to cover all the edges and make the pieces round and smooth.

On the left - first layer of bondo, on the right, sanded.

WP_20160808_16_09_44_Pro.jpg

After that I did a second layer of bondo.
On the left - sanded already, on the right, just second layer of bondo drying.

But as you can see, it looks a lot better and round by now.
There are still many imperfections, but I have the main shape by now.

WP_20160808_18_32_10_Pro.jpg

Same with inner side - first layer of bondo.
Will be sanding it tomorrow, but I add a thicker layer to make it round, to create that shape I want and get rid off all the edges.

WP_20160808_19_51_42_Pro.jpg

The wall paper is freaking me out........very 60's dropping acid looking........love the carved details....FANTASTIC!!!!....are you going to paint each of those individually?

Hah, sorry. XD
Yeah, I'm going to paint it all, like on all other pieces. :)

I have to say, every time I see one of your updates in my queue, as I'm clicking on it I think to myself, "get ready to see something cool" and every time you still manage to blow me away. Expectations surpassed, every time. I love that chest piece. I don't know how you do it. Oh wait, you told us. Haha. Thanks for posting the "how I do it" bit. I've really been wanting to ask you for awhile now, because I thought that you were rondoing the outside in the beginning, but I just couldn't understand how you keep so much of the detail, like in that chest piece.

The only other question I have is how do you make those detail grooves? I know you use a dremel, but with what attachment? When I worked on the venator helmet, I used a dremel and I struggled with keeping the lines straight and not breaking through to the paper. Yours turn out SO good. I am really jealous. :)

Amazing work! you've really gone above and beyond with the amount of detail your putting into this!

Cant wait to see it all finished, keep up the great work!

I have to say, every time I see one of your updates in my queue, as I'm clicking on it I think to myself, "get ready to see something cool" and every time you still manage to blow me away. Expectations surpassed, every time. I love that chest piece. I don't know how you do it. Oh wait, you told us. Haha. Thanks for posting the "how I do it" bit. I've really been wanting to ask you for awhile now, because I thought that you were rondoing the outside in the beginning, but I just couldn't understand how you keep so much of the detail, like in that chest piece.

The only other question I have is how do you make those detail grooves? I know you use a dremel, but with what attachment? When I worked on the venator helmet, I used a dremel and I struggled with keeping the lines straight and not breaking through to the paper. Yours turn out SO good. I am really jealous. :)

Thank you very much, seriously. I aim to please!

No problem, I like sharing things, how I do it especially when I think it works quite alright... so you know, perhaps someone will find the stuff helpful, haha.
I always add some resin to the bondo when I mix it. Not a lot, just some of it - when mixing and using the bondo gets less sticky. It's still bondo, but just easier and more pleasant to use, like it's smoother.

Oh, sure! Here is the dremel tip I've been using. It's nothing really special. I always use it at an angle and it seems to be working nice for me. :)
I like using it at an angle - my hand can rest and is more steady, and it's easier to use, IMO.

WP_20160809_15_03_38_Pro.jpg

Coming along really well! This is going to be one great looking spartan :)

Hah, thank you. :D
Commander has to look pretty, haha.

Amazing work! you've really gone above and beyond with the amount of detail your putting into this!

Cant wait to see it all finished, keep up the great work!

Thanks! Believe me, if it wasn't for the deadline and that I'd ever want to finish the costume, you can go way more into details, haha. :D
I can't wait to see it finished too. T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back