Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Palmer) Build [+ more]

Sounds like it wasn't too bad. Which thickness of cardstock did you use?

I used 250gm paper, which would equal to 110lb. (i think)
On my very first try with pepakura I used regular thin paper, only later I bought thickest paper I've found. :)

Well, the helmet on the video is my 3rd try. :D
First one was waaaay too big... I failed on the second somewhere when gluing, because when finished the "beak" wasn't straight.
I wanted to make the helmet perfectly sized like in-game, not too big.
Overall it wasn't hard to make it. I enjoyed pepping all the files, MasterBuilder made great job. ^^ Very noob-friendly, so I didn't struggle on any file, not really... Unless it was me at fault because I didn't scale it properly and it came out too small / too big. (had to pep almost every single piece 2-3 times)
I guess the third times a charm on the helmet. It looks like you nailed the size this time it seems like this one fits tightly which is a good thing,but is also not to small for you either. having to build stuff multiple times just makes it easier the next time around, because by then you have learned where the problem areas are. Making things as close to the in game model is tricky as things never seem to work as expected in reality. Everything is looking great, and those boots you made are awesome! I especially like the fact that they bend and move with the shoe asyou walk giving it a much more functional apperance.

I guess the third times a charm on the helmet. It looks like you nailed the size this time it seems like this one fits tightly which is a good thing,but is also not to small for you either. having to build stuff multiple times just makes it easier the next time around, because by then you have learned where the problem areas are. Making things as close to the in game model is tricky as things never seem to work as expected in reality. Everything is looking great, and those boots you made are awesome! I especially like the fact that they bend and move with the shoe asyou walk giving it a much more functional apperance.

Third time was a charm on pretty much everything then. xD
But yeah, that's the "perk" of doing multiple tries that after you do a piece once, you kinda know your way on the next try.
Well, I try to make things as close as I can to the in-game model, at least in scale. xD I don't want the helmet to be bigger - I know most people make bigger helmets, often it looks still ok, but sometimes they do them too big and it looks bit funny that their head looks so big.
I'm not going to do any electronics on the helmet (was thinking about lighting the visor, but after further inspection I didn't go with it because in the games it never really looked like it was lit up from inside... while it may look cool sometimes, I don't plan to go that route XD). In Halo 5 they got rid off most "lights" in armors, so it leaves even less "electronics". I'm only thinking of doing some lights on the thrusters on the back.

And thank you! :D I try to make things so that I'll be able to move without bigger problems and I have to put everything on myself alone without "wingman" to assemble me together. xD
Shoes were most tricky for me, because I wanted some sport shoes to be able to walk comfortably - if you have to walk for hours I think it's important to make it comfortable. I know many people use sneakers and make whole shoes out of foam and then just glue the sneakers onto the foam. But I thought foam may be slippy, so I prefer to have the original shoe on the outside so I won't fall while walking - I want to be sure I'll have regular shoe-grip to the ground.
ALSO I didn't want to stress the front and back parts - in-game they are touching the ground, I made them higher, so I barely touch ground when walking with the front part. It's just minor change but it won't stress the part as much so it won't get damaged nor will it fall off.
(on both front and back pieces I made an additional layer of EVA foam on the underside so the armored part itself won't be stressed, scratched when touching the ground and I won't make noises, foam is more quiet and more flexible)

Good movement in your video. Keep up the good work.

SB

Your planning skills seem to be great keep up the good work! I can't wait to see the whole suit:D

Did anyone else notice the state of Palmer's Armour in the ending cut scene of H5?

Good movement in your video. Keep up the good work.

SB

Thank you! :D

Your planning skills seem to be great keep up the good work! I can't wait to see the whole suit:D

Thanks very much and I'll be updating frequently from now on... no more lazy breaks from camera. ^^

Did anyone else notice the state of Palmer's Armour in the ending cut scene of H5?

I did! She didn't only have damaged armor but also some pretty nasty cuts and bruises. :( It was most likely from the Pelican crash and perhaps Palmer also had to defend Halsey? Doctor looked pretty unharmed, while Palmer was a sight for sore eyes... She was limping and she was missing whole thigh piece and a knee pad. Also her whole armor had some scratches and damage, but her chest piece and right arm had taken most of it... But even the right thruster was damaged and you could see the insides. You could even see the blood on the armor! And the shoulder pad was lost and her exo-suit was even torn on her arm so you could see the skin underneath - hence the blood. And she even had a shotgun, first time seeing Palmer with a shotgun.
I really want to know what exactly happened after Fireteam Osiris left Palmer and Halsey with the disabled Pelican. As I said, my bet is that Palmer somehow managed to crash-land with it, but she had to protect Halsey, hence the damage on her and Halsey unharmed... But I'd like to know more! I really like both characters, Halsey and Palmer so I'd love to see another comic or a novel or... anything of what is happening at the moment. o_o

PS. It was also interesting that they took away all the lights from SCOUT armor (and many other armor variants). In Halo 4 you could see pretty much every armor lit up in the darkness with some lights on the armor. While it looked cool on Scout, those two lights on the chest piece and the back (there were minor other light like on shoulders and thigh pieces). I can understand that Scout should remain hidden, and lights would prohibit... but it looked cool anyway, haha. xD

Also, another update. The knee pads and elbow pads are pretty much ready for last details.
(like I said I'm going for more weathered armor, so I don't bother sanding it with higher grit to polish it... scratched surface fits better)

DSC00575.JPG

I did! She didn't only have damaged armor but also some pretty nasty cuts and bruises. :( It was most likely from the Pelican crash and perhaps Palmer also had to defend Halsey? Doctor looked pretty unharmed, while Palmer was a sight for sore eyes... She was limping and she was missing whole thigh piece and a knee pad. Also her whole armor had some scratches and damage, but her chest piece and right arm had taken most of it... But even the right thruster was damaged and you could see the insides. You could even see the blood on the armor! And the shoulder pad was lost and her exo-suit was even torn on her arm so you could see the skin underneath - hence the blood. And she even had a shotgun, first time seeing Palmer with a shotgun.
I really want to know what exactly happened after Fireteam Osiris left Palmer and Halsey with the disabled Pelican. As I said, my bet is that Palmer somehow managed to crash-land with it, but she had to protect Halsey, hence the damage on her and Halsey unharmed... But I'd like to know more! I really like both characters, Halsey and Palmer so I'd love to see another comic or a novel or... anything of what is happening at the moment. o_o

PS. It was also interesting that they took away all the lights from SCOUT armor (and many other armor variants). In Halo 4 you could see pretty much every armor lit up in the darkness with some lights on the armor. While it looked cool on Scout, those two lights on the chest piece and the back (there were minor other light like on shoulders and thigh pieces). I can understand that Scout should remain hidden, and lights would prohibit... but it looked cool anyway, haha. xD

Yikes, you made me re-watch it. Yes, I would not be surprised if some short story appears down the track regarding that event.

Yikes, you made me re-watch it. Yes, I would not be surprised if some short story appears down the track regarding that event.

Sorry, hehe... I may have played Halo 5 too many times after it came out. xD (did 100% of the achievements even ._.)
I'd love to receive such "filler" thing or even more. Was disappointed when HuntTheTruth ended and also the Halo Escalation. I love all this stuff aside from games. xD

So, as I said I'll be updating frequently... so here I am.
I have hardened and prepared the butt-piece before and now it's been sanded down and I've secured the parts where I'll be pouring but more rondo to detail it later. It has also become so cold (-5-10 Celsius or 10-30 Fahrenheit) that the resin never wants to cure (it didn't even want to harden in bit higher temperatures) so I started using rondo, mixing it with different amounts of both resin and bondo... and it's great, it can be more or less fluid, how I want it. But still, it became so cold that it takes long for the rondo to cure. Lol!

DSC00577.JPG

In the meantime I did the red markings on kneepads and finished one of them. Now only elbow and kneepad remaining.

DSC00580.JPG

Awesome work!!! The weathering on the knee pads is amazing!

Awesome work!!! The weathering on the knee pads is amazing!

Thanks :D I'm very pleased with the result. It looks better than the elbow pad, but mainly because there is actual color - the red markins on it... It adds a lot, I see. O.O

I though you mentioned lights somewhere. Here are some renders I wiped up for someone else on the light positions. Don't know if you can use them or not, but here they are.
1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg

The battle damage/wear looks awesome! Care to share your methods for painting it? (painting by hand with a brush? what sorta paints?) I've had quite a hard time attempting to achieve what you're doing here. The effect looks realistic!

I though you mentioned lights somewhere. Here are some renders I wiped up for someone else on the light positions. Don't know if you can use them or not, but here they are.
View attachment 21620View attachment 21621View attachment 21622View attachment 21623View attachment 21624View attachment 21625View attachment 21626View attachment 21627

The battle damage/wear looks awesome! Care to share your methods for painting it? (painting by hand with a brush? what sorta paints?) I've had quite a hard time attempting to achieve what you're doing here. The effect looks realistic!

OOoh, thanks! Thank you very much! :D

Interesting. I've been gathering sources from CGI cinematics from Halo 4 Spartan Ops and they have removed the lights from the shin parts (and it seemed in few scenes the back of the helmet also wasn't lit up). Seems like they thought it was too much of shiny-stuff. In Halo 5 they removed all lights, maybe it being the "Scout" model so they wanted it to not stick out as much due the lights?

I was going to do all the lights... but then after seeing Halo 5 and no-lights I was kinda stuck in-between whether to do or do not (there is no try right, Yoda?). I decided to go against and don't make any lights... But lately I was thinking of doing the lights only on the chest piece on the front and back. Still VERY considering to do the lights on the shoulders as well, but I have to think about how, because shoulder pads are hard enough to figure out how to harden them, because they are one big closed piece. But I'm not going to bother with the thigh pieces or helmet. I already changed the chip-port on the helmet that it has a visible AI chip inside, but I'm not going to bother with lights... I kinda made the helmet tight-fit to have it scaled like in-game and I don't really want to experiment with lights which I don't really like (I find idea of lights on the back of the helmet like painting a target on your head to aim and shoot)
So yeah, I thought it's nice that they removed the lights, especially on Scout as they were impractical and it was literally like sabotaging the scouting Spartan instead of hiding them. And the argument "shield generator" doesn't work for me, because Chief's armor doesn't have any lights, just the ones on the helmet if he needs a flashlight. xD (and pretty much all Spartans have lights removed in Halo 5)

Thanks you very much though... I'm not sure what I'll do yet. But I'm also using both Palmer models from Halo 4 and Halo 5 as they differ, especially on markings... but Palmer's armor did differ in Halo 4 from generic female Scout Spartan, they did few changes on the model, disorting them or making them smaller... dunno why, though.

Ok, should stop rambling now.
Thanks, I appreciate your help, Master Builder. ^^

As for my painting technique... Well, after I have prepared the base I use small brushes for detailing and acrylic paints. Going with black paint to define and shape the damage. As last I go with silver paint on top of the black. :)
I can show pictures how I do it, when I'll be painting next piece if you want?

While I really like the worn look you've achieved on your armor pieces. There was one minor thing I had an issue with. (Like if it was my armor. Not saying you shouldn't do what you did.) Which was the way you wore some pieces out. There are some areas which would still have paint. Obviously certain area are more than likely to get brushed or scraped than others.

While I really like the worn look you've achieved on your armor pieces. There was one minor thing I had an issue with. (Like if it was my armor. Not saying you shouldn't do what you did.) Which was the way you wore some pieces out. There are some areas which would still have paint. Obviously certain area are more than likely to get brushed or scraped than others.

Thanks and of course I understand you :D
When I'm doing the battle damage I tried to imagine the surfaces and where it could touch to get the damage. I had to remember that most surfaces aren't actually straight. Solid surfaces aren't straight - rocks ground, it takes different shapes. Only artificially built surfaces are straight - walls, grounds... Also, it depends on which ankle the object crashes with the surface as well.
So, basically if you'd use something enough you could weather most of it... if not all. But, given enought amount of time and use, like you said. :D
In my head I just have this vision that my Spartan wouldn't go to have the armor re-painted after every mission, but wouldn't really care even if most of the armor was just scraped metal with some last bits of paint visible ^^"

Build is coming out super. Your attention to detail is amazing.

Build is coming out super. Your attention to detail is amazing.

Thank you very much for kind words. Happy you like it ^^ It's a lot of work, sure... but if I'm doing it I want to be happy with it. xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back