Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is such a simple thing........hot glue plasma burn.......FANTASTIC!!! It looks great.

- - - Updated - - -

It is such a simple thing........hot glue plasma burn.......FANTASTIC!!! It looks great.

Sprayed it today, hah!
Now, only weathering and detailing remains with both shoulders.

Also, started working on shins and bondo'ing them.

WP_20160720_01_42_15_Pro.jpg

Yeah, simple but works pretty nice. :)

Was doing some work on the shins and helmet.

LOTS of sanding and bondo'ing.
SO MUCH DUST!

WP_20160720_21_07_46_Pro.jpg

Alright, alright. Something I had to motivate myself with. Put on the upper body armor parts and took the photo for motivation. Don't judge me, please!

But... but... It looks so nice. I seriously can't wait to finish the costume!

Oh well, even with the chest looking... well, like it looks now, it still looks great!
It's so damn nice to see this thing coming together. :3

But yeah, the shoulders need to be weathered and painted... and pretty much done.

And yeah, the shoulders sit lower than I put them. But yeah, they slide down, until I'll make the strapping system.

But oh oh, I'm not drooling or gloating. I'm just so damn happy to see it coming together and seeing it wasn't a total disaster, but it actually looks nice. :3

DSC01167.JPG

I mean, compared to that few months ago...

DSC00910.JPG

How did you glue it all together? Sorry if necro.

Sounds like you've got a lot of reading to do, mate. Everything you need to know is already on the site, tutorials, detailed build threads, you've just got to look and read a lot. Mara, sorry Cm. Palmer, is doing spectacular work and has a lot to finish before her convention coming up soon, so I doubt she's gonna want to stop and teach you. But, I can tell you that 90% of what she's doing she learned from reading things on the site. Good luck and welcome to the 405th!

I just love the amount of detail in both the pieces and the paint. The way you did the damage was very creative I might add :) Great job

Well, what I'm painting at the moment... Photo is very crappy, I see, completely covers the effect of metal. v.v
And yeah, the shoulder is still way too clean, hah.

But look! The light is so pretty! I glued the cover permanently and I'm so proud of myself of my clever idea. I used that flexible blue film I used for visor to give the light more cyan-ish effect, more of a 'icy white' - the light is standard white, but with the blue film - it looks so icy!

WP_20160724_05_03_14_Pro.jpg

While I'v made some progress with the shins and I'm slowly finishing these - making them nice round and smooth, I've started working on the chest - removed today that shiny layer of rondo and soon I'll start adding bondo outside.
I hope I'll finish the shins this Sunday.

WP_20160723_21_05_54_Pro.jpg

Sounds like you've got a lot of reading to do, mate. Everything you need to know is already on the site, tutorials, detailed build threads, you've just got to look and read a lot. Mara, sorry Cm. Palmer, is doing spectacular work and has a lot to finish before her convention coming up soon, so I doubt she's gonna want to stop and teach you. But, I can tell you that 90% of what she's doing she learned from reading things on the site. Good luck and welcome to the 405th!

I am afraid you're right, that they just need to read the forums. I was more curious what part exactly they meant, but I too think they meant overall 'how do I costuming'. :/
Well, to be honest I'm not going to teach, haha (I'm not a pro anyway) - I'm sharing everything in this thread, if they even read through few pages, I'm sure their question would have been answered anyway... And if you read the forum - 99% of your questions are answered by then.

I just love the amount of detail in both the pieces and the paint. The way you did the damage was very creative I might add :) Great job

Thank you very much. ^^
Well, it takes a while, especially the first part, so painting is just pure fun, but in the end - it's worth it.
Thanks! :D

Your weathering and battle damage looks amazing!!!! The light looks pretty spiffy as well!

You're making so much progress :D My stuff is coming along slowly but I'm making progress at last :3 I like the weathering techniques you use though I'd be more inclined to dry brush or paint a silver layer beneath and then cover it in the main colours blah blah blah then scuff it up on the ground XD

Alright, I literally JUST finished this. Finished painting and weathering the shoulder. :3
It looks way better than on the previous photo.
Light isn't installed yet, it's just a flashlight for demo.

WP_20160725_09_26_41_Pro.jpg

You're making so much progress :D My stuff is coming along slowly but I'm making progress at last :3 I like the weathering techniques you use though I'd be more inclined to dry brush or paint a silver layer beneath and then cover it in the main colours blah blah blah then scuff it up on the ground XD

I HAVE to make progress quickly if I want to finish it for gamescom. I have literally 3 weeks left.
That's good that you're making progress. That's most important! :)

At the rate you're going........you'll be good to go!!!!

Well, basically I have only left the chest and the thighs... and the helmet - I'm finishing the shins today, so I'm not counting that.
However, chest is HUGE, that's where I'm scared, however it doesn't need a lot of rounding and smoothing - mainly just smoothing and adding details which is good.
Thighs - these are pure pep now. I'll have to totally to everything there - harden and lots of sanding to make the profile round and smooth. And before then, try them again to see if they fit. If not - modify things.
Aand the helmet, which I use as 'side-project' for now - armor is priority.
It does seem like it isn't a lot of work, but then on the other side, these are big pieces.

And last - strapping, which I have already a very good idea - in my head, so in theory. In practice - if it really works out how I think, it should work good or perfect.

But, it's a lot of work left. :/
To be honest, half a year ago I thought I'd be finished by now... v.v

Well, basically I have only left the chest and the thighs... and the helmet - I'm finishing the shins today, so I'm not counting that.
However, chest is HUGE, that's where I'm scared, however it doesn't need a lot of rounding and smoothing - mainly just smoothing and adding details which is good.
Thighs - these are pure pep now. I'll have to totally to everything there - harden and lots of sanding to make the profile round and smooth. And before then, try them again to see if they fit. If not - modify things.
Aand the helmet, which I use as 'side-project' for now - armor is priority.
It does seem like it isn't a lot of work, but then on the other side, these are big pieces.

And last - strapping, which I have already a very good idea - in my head, so in theory. In practice - if it really works out how I think, it should work good or perfect.

Reminds me of the time I handsewed my entire costume in a week. I'd sit in class sewing away beneath the desk. That was fun.... And my first time making a costume/ sewing anything from scratch. If I knew then how to properly use the machine it would have been moons faster and easier *sighs* my poor fingers.

From what I've seen of your work over the last half a year, I think you can do it. My advice is to pick one thing everyday: today I'll bondo the chest, today I'll paint and finish a shin, today I'll strap the upper half of the suit. At that rate you don't have 3 weeks, you have 21 days and a lot can be done in 21 days. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do.

Damn. I have a delay, I didn't think this little crap would take me the whole evening. It took SO LONG to get those patterns right on both pieces... -_-
Oh well, just great. Will have to do it tomorrow.

WP_20160725_23_39_48_Pro.jpg

Reminds me of the time I handsewed my entire costume in a week. I'd sit in class sewing away beneath the desk. That was fun.... And my first time making a costume/ sewing anything from scratch. If I knew then how to properly use the machine it would have been moons faster and easier *sighs* my poor fingers.

Well, tools usually make it easier and faster.

From what I've seen of your work over the last half a year, I think you can do it. My advice is to pick one thing everyday: today I'll bondo the chest, today I'll paint and finish a shin, today I'll strap the upper half of the suit. At that rate you don't have 3 weeks, you have 21 days and a lot can be done in 21 days. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do.

Well, it's more like 18 days TOPS. It try to work like that, but more like 2 things at the same time - like shins and starting for example the chest - sanding one while the other has bondo curing, etc.. Sanding and bondoing til it gets dark, then painting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back