Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reclaimara

Sr Member
Member DIN
S713
Sarah Palmer. Commander Sarah Palmer. I lead all Fireteams onboard Infinity.

---

Hi there and welcome to my first build.
As it's my first costume, please be understanding if it isn't perfect - I'm doing my best here on all levels.

MJOLNIER GEN2 SCOUT variant painted with Commander Palmer's scheme (+ some personal details).

---

// If you're interested in some origins and the story of the costume, here you go //

I love Halo since years - I've gotten an Xbox with Halo game for my birthday just after it came out. Back then I didn't even know what Xbox or Halo was, but I fell in love at the first sight.
Since then Halo never left me.
I never was into costuming - always thought it looked cool, but I never trusted myself into making one.
This year, after watching E3 and gamescom and all the nice pictures and videos I suddenly gotten a nice kick of inspiration and motivation to finally make my own costume.

Soo... Of course I wanted to make the armor I like most - GEN2 SCOUT variant. Also, I already knew what color scheme I want light/dark gray with some red details.
I've been rocking such color scheme in Halo games, and also as a nice coincidence character Sarah Palmer is wearing same armor and pretty much the same colors.
At first I didn't want to make Palmer cosplay. Why?
I know many people dislike her, no idea why, because I really like her as character.
This was the reason why I was afraid of turning this build into a cosplay - I respect her character (a lot) and because of that if I were to make a Palmer cosplay, I wanted it to be good. Best even.
I was afraid I won't be good enough and I won't live up to the expectations. (and simply I thought I'm not good enough)

Anyway, like I said - after watching the conferences online and all the Halo 5 hype, end of September came and I finally started the build.
I printed the pepakura files - BIG THANK YOU to the masterbuilder for the AMAZING files. I can't thank you enough, you did great and I loved working with them.
First, I didn't even know that I had to scale these.
I was a total n00b.
My first pepped thing were boots - I didn't even have the thicker cardstock just very default printing paper... I learned first lesson - buy thicker card stock AND you have to scale parts... Well, the shoes and everything was scaled for a 2meter tall person, while I'm shorter... So the boots and shins I pepped were scrapped.
The beginning was hard, a lot of trial and error - I ended up pepping most of the armor pieces even up to 5 times to get the scale alright and everything.

I started this thread in middle of November. By that time I had majority of the costume already pepped.
Why didn't I start this thread immediately after I began working on the costume?
I wasn't sure if I'll make it, if I won't stop and throw everything away.
I also didn't want to start the thread and then just disappear if it didn't work out.
To me, starting a thread is kind of responsibility - I wouldn't want to just disappear - as you see I update frequently, I share things so maybe they help you and I like to share the progress, it's a motivation for me as well.

Anyway, after many many wasted sheets of paper, glue and my time - I finally had everything pepped and in the meantime I started to harden the parts.
I might have chosen the worst time to work on the costume, because resin doesn't like winter and low temperatures and it was the time I was doing all of this.
However, I made progress hardening most of the armor pieces.

As I previously wrote, it's my first costume, so it isn't perfect. I don't aim for perfection anyway, because I know I won't be able to achieve that - well, maybe if I had unlimited budget and resources like 3D printer and a lot more.
However, honestly I enjoy building it all by hand. I enjoy it A LOT.

If you want to see more - please read through the whole thread.

Here is the first picture back when I started this thread:

mjolnirwip.JPG

// CURRENT STATE OF THE BUILD //

TO DO:
- shoulders
- chest
- boots

---

- INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS, TUTORIALS & WALKTHROUGHS -

How I paint and weather my armor pieces:

Adding details and raised areas to armor:

Cut and assemble pepakura pieces fast and easy:

Glove - trigger finger detail:

My dual-layer visor:

// MATERIALS USED //

For the starting part I used cardstock 250g and while I was pepping, I glued the parts with super glue.
I wouldn't recommend hot glue - super glue is super fast and after it's hardened, it's way easier to sand it down.

It is understandable, that I used resin and body filler as well, however I prefer a lot more to use the rondo mix.

My undersuit is a morphsuit. Zentai-thingy. Standard black.

// CREDITS //

masterbuilder for the amazing female Spartan Scout / Palmer pepakura files

HEX-VISOR MATERIAL IS BY AWESOME ICON PROPS

mjolnirwip.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor Build

Looks good! Do you have any WIP pics? Also, are you keeping it white or painting/detailing another color? Welcome to the 405th, btw..

Oh my... that looks awesome! I was wondering about ur plans for colour too... the white on black look pretty bad ass!! :)

The pieces look well put together and sized just right. Good Job and keep up the good work

Looks good. What are you using to scale you pieces?

Oh my... that looks awesome! I was wondering about ur plans for colour too... the white on black look pretty bad ass!! :)

Thank you! :D
As for color... Actually I was planning to use gray colors. Lighter and darker gray (and some red) for details and silver for damage and scratches. I also plan to add blue lights. :)
It's the color scheme I'm running for a very long time on my Spartan, well... Now since the reduced customization I'm running gray/red.

Looks good! Do you have any WIP pics? Also, are you keeping it white or painting/detailing another color? Welcome to the 405th, btw..

I'll be adding more WIP pics very soon. :D
And thank you for nice welcome ^^
I'm planning on gray/red color scheme with some blue lights. :)

The pieces look well put together and sized just right. Good Job and keep up the good work

Thanks! It's been a huge pain to get the scale right... Really... But, it pays off. xD

Looks good. What are you using to scale you pieces?

Thank you! :D
What I'm using to scale pieces? Well... Myself. O.O It's really a method of errors... errors... and bit of luck.
I just try to imagine the thickness of the pieces and then try to measure it on my own body.
Well, like I said - it often didn't work on the first try - but it was also my fault - I'm a newbie and I didn't measure right - I once just measured my body, but didn't add extra for the actual armor... so yeah. xD

Well, if error is working........error away.

Looking good. Might I ask what files you're working from?

Judgeing by the looks of the pepped parts, those files are from MasterBuilder. Even though it took a few trys to get scaling right, thus far everything looks spot on! And yes, welcome to the 405th! Keep it up!

Well, if error is working........error away.

No other option. Error away. :D

Judgeing by the looks of the pepped parts, those files are from MasterBuilder. Even though it took a few trys to get scaling right, thus far everything looks spot on! And yes, welcome to the 405th! Keep it up!

Aye. It's by MasterBuilder. I can't say much, but they are literally a Master Builder.
It is hard to get the proportions right, but it is great job they did on the pep file... Even if it's only for females (female scout armor). ;)

Thank you very much, SavedByGraceG12 :D

Grey, grey, red.. sounds cool. Looks good so far. I'm gonna subscribe and I hope you post more pics!! :)

This looks really good! Good luck on the chest and the helmet, those pieces really tie the whole thing together!

Well done! I cant wait to see more. Personally, Ive been too nervous to try my hand at Pepakura yet.. Maybe some day!

Great job with the proportioning! It's usually what makes or breaks a suit in my opinion. Just make sure you get the helmet properly scaled to, cut out the bottom brim as much as need be to fit your head though (it's intended to be cut back).

Can't wait to see some more progress!

Looking good so far! Scaling always sucks but in the end the headaches are always well worth the trouble!

Grey, grey, red.. sounds cool. Looks good so far. I'm gonna subscribe and I hope you post more pics!! :)

Thanks! :D

This looks really good! Good luck on the chest and the helmet, those pieces really tie the whole thing together!

Thank you very much! Helmet actually turned out to be a pain in the butt... but I think I got the scale nicely. :D

Well done! I cant wait to see more. Personally, Ive been too nervous to try my hand at Pepakura yet.. Maybe some day!

I'm pretty nervous too, lacking patience, hehe... But you should give it a try! :D

Great job with the proportioning! It's usually what makes or breaks a suit in my opinion. Just make sure you get the helmet properly scaled to, cut out the bottom brim as much as need be to fit your head though (it's intended to be cut back).

Can't wait to see some more progress!

Thank you very much! Scaling is truly pain in the butt... but when you get it right... Damn, you're truly a MASTER Builder! :D
I completed the helmet... Took me 3 tries... but I got it nicely scaled, haha :D
I'll resin and harden it first and then I'll cut out the bottom... otherwise it'd be impossible to get my head in o.o

Looking good so far! Scaling always sucks but in the end the headaches are always well worth the trouble!

Of course! I agree. It's always worth it :D

Alright... Took me some time and I kinda never had the occasion to take photos... I completed both the remaining pieces - shoulder pieces, chest and helmet.

I don't have many photos now, I'll post more soon.

First, the chest front and side. The quality isn't perfect, it was dark in my room but when I finished it I really wanted to see if it was scaled ok.
DAMN! It was my first try and I actually got it right. O_O
(lower front chest piece is missing, I know... I'll make more photos soon)

DSC00537.JPGDSC00538.JPG

Now, the helmet... If you look right on the photo up higher, the helmet isn't perfect, the "beak" isn't symmetrical and isn't straight... I don't know where it went wrong but I tried straightening it and it didn't work... It was the second try on the helmet, the first one was waaay too big, it turned out.
I wasn't happy with the helmet because of it and I decided I'll give another try.
So... I did another helmet, just finished it. It's just a little bit smaller, before I finished pepping it I tried it on my head and it fits even better.

DSC00544.JPGDSC00545.JPG

Also, as a bonus I did the "hip" pieces of the undersuit. I can't work with the foam, I tried it first before switching to paper... and these hip pieces are what I can do best with foam... v_v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back