Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice shelf! I finally ordered my Mcfarlane Halo 5 Guardians Series Locke, Kelly & Fred on Wednesday. Package should arrive today. :)

CommanderPalmer

Nice collection! Although it was OBVIOUS that you had a Halo collection from your early posting of pics, lol! You mentioned repainting, was curious, but spartan Buck in the middle looks to be repainted? Also, the MC, and Kelly to the for left don't look to be your standard sized Mcfarlane action figure. Are they statues, or are they posable figures? Its hard to make out. :)

That shelf works well. What are you using for bases? Real rocks?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Sorry for the lack of updates, I've been more off lately doing other stuff and I've been cleaning and rearranging my room (so I'll be also able to work on these tutorials I promised).

I dunno, I might mave whispered I also love collecting Halo stuff... but I've rearranged a shelf, and I'm very happy how it looks now, so just wanted to share.
The smallest, yet most important shelf for me - contains all important characters, teams or scenes from the games and such... I would have included more, but well, shelf is too small.
And yeah, it isn't finished - I'll be making custom Linda and Vale so that's why you might think these two Spartans look so unfamiliar and weird... and I'll be also making that custom Arbiter an repainting that Mark V into Chief from Halo: CE... and one day, after that, I'll make proper bases and stands for all them...

View attachment 28607

^^^This is one of the biggest reasons my Cortana hasn't moved much. I'm in the process of rearranging and cleaning my figure shelf/ putting away numerous things in boxes as I prep to move in August. Throw in work and an art contest for Megaman and I'm pretty tied. Speaking of art Contest I also need to pop by Best Buy and replace my arcane and ancient Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet for something a bit newer. I'm thinking one of the medium sized Intuos Create Touch and Pen tablets. I'm moons overdue for an upgrade and my baby is on her last legs. She rarely works with her current outdated drivers and Wacom doesn't actively support her model or make anymore. She's lasted me a good 6 years but it's time to move on. Side note: The bright and frilly colours of Magical Girls don't mesh too well with the darker olive and gray tones of my halo kits XD. Hopefully once I'm done with this stuff that's taking up my time I can work on Cortana's templates again. Either way, I'm ordering the bodysuit friday and getting that going.

I can't wait to start seeing progress on your Palmer build again! Off topic but what's the shelf?? I likes!

Finally a nice update :3
Finished sanding the right forearm, finished painting the left one! Left is officially finished!

Yay! Today I finished sanding the right forearm. Like the left one, it isn't perfect, but well... I'm satisfied with it.
Here you see it primed and yes, I drew with pencil the lines and tomorrow I'll make them real... and paint paint paint!

View attachment 28133

Here is just work-in-progress thingy, I drilled off some section from the forearm to insert the elbow pad and tested how it would sit.
(nice photos!)

View attachment 28128

View attachment 28129

Here is the forearm gauntlet already finished, but I just wanted to see how it looks overall with everything on. ;)

View attachment 28130

And here is the forearm finished!
Did the weathering, dust and dirt.
NOW I CALL IT FINISHED and it's time for right one... and don't worry, the right one won't be that banged up. ;)

View attachment 28131

View attachment 28132

how do yo keep your details symetrical? do you use some sort of patterns so both forarms have the same details or do you just eye ball them and hope they turn out the same?

Nice shelf! I finally ordered my Mcfarlane Halo 5 Guardians Series Locke, Kelly & Fred on Wednesday. Package should arrive today. :)

Are you going to make your Spartan out of these? :D

Nice collection! Although it was OBVIOUS that you had a Halo collection from your early posting of pics, lol! You mentioned repainting, was curious, but spartan Buck in the middle looks to be repainted? Also, the MC, and Kelly to the for left don't look to be your standard sized Mcfarlane action figure. Are they statues, or are they posable figures? Its hard to make out. :)

Thank you. ;) It's just my main shelf I guess.

That shelf works well. What are you using for bases? Real rocks?

Nope, tree bark parts.

^^^This is one of the biggest reasons my Cortana hasn't moved much. I'm in the process of rearranging and cleaning my figure shelf/ putting away numerous things in boxes as I prep to move in August. Throw in work and an art contest for Megaman and I'm pretty tied. Speaking of art Contest I also need to pop by Best Buy and replace my arcane and ancient Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet for something a bit newer. I'm thinking one of the medium sized Intuos Create Touch and Pen tablets. I'm moons overdue for an upgrade and my baby is on her last legs. She rarely works with her current outdated drivers and Wacom doesn't actively support her model or make anymore. She's lasted me a good 6 years but it's time to move on. Side note: The bright and frilly colours of Magical Girls don't mesh too well with the darker olive and gray tones of my halo kits XD. Hopefully once I'm done with this stuff that's taking up my time I can work on Cortana's templates again. Either way, I'm ordering the bodysuit friday and getting that going.

I can't wait to start seeing progress on your Palmer build again! Off topic but what's the shelf?? I likes!

Sorry, the weather has been so crappy lately and I've been having hard time getting to work on it. I have to grind teeth and actually do it now or I won't make it! O_O
It's something from IKEA, I don't remember. I got them like 2 years ago.

This is looking really great so far! Keep up the good work! :)

Thank you. :)

This build is turning out awesome! Keep up the good work Spartan! :)

Thanks. ^^

how do yo keep your details symetrical? do you use some sort of patterns so both forarms have the same details or do you just eye ball them and hope they turn out the same?

Oh... I actually just looked at the references and sketched the lines, comparing it together. They are pretty symmetrical, but it's what I did. o.o

Are you going to make your Spartan out of these? :D
I'd love to do so, if I find a way to disassemble and reassamble them without causing damage to the figures... But this would need another three figures - the pieces that arrived meanwhile are meant to get Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris together and place them next to Noble Team... ;)

Still have an eye on those bad boys:

61LEbcXYTYL._SL1000_.jpg 614EtcQDJdL._SL1000_.jpg 71tp-aV5DuL._SL1500_.jpg

But I still can't convince myself to through between 120 and 200 EUR on one of them...

I'd love to do so, if I find a way to disassemble and reassamble them without causing damage to the figures... But this would need another three figures - the pieces that arrived meanwhile are meant to get Blue Team and Fireteam Osiris together and place them next to Noble Team... ;)

Still have an eye on those bad boys:

View attachment 28961 View attachment 28962 View attachment 28963

But I still can't convince myself to through between 120 and 200 EUR on one of them...

Old tutorial, so sorry for the terrible edit, but it basically shows how to completely assemble the McFarlane Halo 4 figure - Halo 5 figures are the exact same system:

You're welcome. :p Funny thing is - on my Linda custom I pretty much used a very similar set up, but I used it more for female version.
If you need any help, I'll be glad to help - it really isn't hard to swap the parts you need.

Also, as for the Play Arts Kai and the ThreeA - unless you can get them for 50% of the retail price, I wouldn't buy them. Play Arts Kai has made their figures VERY expensive but at the same time they didn't improve ANYTHING on their figures. 150Euro is WAY too much for that, especially that they are PAK-stylized.
The ThreeA is even worse. Because of the joints you can't even pose them - Thorne is bit better, but Chief was a disaster, he couldn't even hold his assault rifle. Disappointing figures, but look nice. I would recommend watching some YT videos on the ThreeA because the actual figures look way worse than the prototype photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, as for the Play Arts Kai and the ThreeA - unless you can get them for 50% of the retail price, I wouldn't buy them. Play Arts Kai has made their figures VERY expensive but at the same time they didn't improve ANYTHING on their figures. 150Euro is WAY too much for that, especially that they are PAK-stylized. The ThreeA is even worse. Because of the joints you can't even pose them - Thorne is bit better, but Chief was a disaster, he couldn't even hold his assault rifle. Disappointing figures, but look nice. I would recommend watching some YT videos on the ThreeA because the actual figures look way worse than the prototype photos.

That's exactly, why I didn't jump on the train until now. They aren't worth the money. After all, it was a good decision to focus on Macross-Toy-Collecting, I guess... :D Bandai and Arcadia do a - mostly - pretty good job on their 1:60 scale toys... But what can I say: I would love to get my hands on a larger Spartan toy... So I keep waiting and waiting and waiting, hoping that the price drops under 90 and I see it just in time...

Thanks for the vid btw - now I do not have to search YT myself... :p :)

That's exactly, why I didn't jump on the train until now. They aren't worth the money. After all, it was a good decision to focus on Macross-Toy-Collecting, I guess... :D Bandai and Arcadia do a - mostly - pretty good job on their 1:60 scale toys... But what can I say: I would love to get my hands on a larger Spartan toy... So I keep waiting and waiting and waiting, hoping that the price drops under 90 and I see it just in time...

Thanks for the vid btw - now I do not have to search YT myself... :p :)

I don't want to disappoint you but the problem is in Europe that the price NEVER drops down, it can only go higher. :/
In USA you can spot great deals. v_v

From a bigger scale I recommend the NECA Master Chief. It's 1/4 scale - bigger than the ThreeA - BIGGER and MUCH MUCH MUCH better quality.
Here you can see the NECA Master Chief with Play Arts Kai's Palmer and McFarlane Palmer.

But, that Master Chief from NECA - I can recommend 1000%. Best Master Chief figure and I wish NECA would do more Spartans... v_v AND when it was released, Master Chief cost like 100Euro... From what I've heard it's more expensive now, but it's still worth it.

DSC01150.JPG

CommanderPalmer

I agree with you on Neca's MC figure awesome scale, and details. Although the downside for the figure is it's pose ability. I own the Soilder variant figure from Play Kai Arts. Very posable, but lacks stability, or strength with arm joints. One of the arm joints came off some how, doesn't really pip back in. On a side note, most if not all paint jobs are nothing like the prototype images.

Any armor updates, Mara?

Tomorrow I might have an update with the shoulder. :/
I haven't been working for a week - I felt I needed a break and also we had very bad weather - either it was 40C (over 100F) or it was raining or storms. v_v
So... I've been bit occupied with other stuff - cleaning my room, re-arranging things, etc. and crying over my PC... but the good thing is there is a possibility I'll have it back this week.

So I've been working slower last days, but I just kicked myself in the butt saying it doesn't matter what, I have to work faster now, because it's already July and I still have so much to do and tomorrow I'll be working a lot more on that shoulder - maybe even finishing with the sanding/bondo'ing.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you on Neca's MC figure awesome scale, and details. Although the downside for the figure is it's pose ability. I own the Soilder variant figure from Play Kai Arts. Very posable, but lacks stability, or strength with arm joints. One of the arm joints came off some how, doesn't really pip back in. On a side note, most if not all paint jobs are nothing like the prototype images.

Oh, while the NECA's soldier isn't THAT poseable as PAK - for example his feet aren't very articulated, but he still have a lot of articulation.
Due to his size, he is just very heavy and it makes him harder to post - to actually stay in that pose an not fall over.
With my Chief - his joints are very hard while with Palmer, as it's the PAK, the joints make her sometimes to fall over... still, her joints are a lot better as the earlier figures like the Mass Effect - Ashley has very loose joints.

But still, PAK hasn't improved and suddenly their prices went up crazy. I think if they still were at 70$ it would have been alright to buy them.
They are nice, I'm not a fan of their figures being stylized but I like them. I had to get Palmer haha... But I also don't like their japanese painted faces, they look so odd. And the armor could use some more paint too, so I repainted mine very fast.

Still, you can do nice photos with the PAK figures, but there is a reason why they always come with a stand - while the ratchet joints are nice... they often can't support their weight.

palmer1.JPG
palmer2.JPG

Bought a stand for my Neca Chief for about $12 on Amazon. Hadn't fallen over since.

Mine fell twice in about the first two hours and that was it. I laid him down until I got a stand.

No! Chief never falls! Chief has never fallen! Master Chief is a legend. :(

But seriously, I have my Chief in a standing pose above. He stands on his own but just to be perfectly sure I put him against the wall, I have too many things all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back