Female GEN2 SCOUT Armor (Spartan Commander Sarah Palmer) Build [+ more]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. I have a delay, I didn't think this little crap would take me the whole evening. It took SO LONG to get those patterns right on both pieces... -_-
Oh well, just great. Will have to do it tomorrow.

View attachment 29813

Well, tools usually make it easier and faster.

Well, it's more like 18 days TOPS. It try to work like that, but more like 2 things at the same time - like shins and starting for example the chest - sanding one while the other has bondo curing, etc.. Sanding and bondoing til it gets dark, then painting.

I do agree that tools help. I can make things much faster and easier now that I am capable of using my sewing machine.

Alright, I literally JUST finished this. Finished painting and weathering the shoulder. :3
It looks way better than on the previous photo.
Light isn't installed yet, it's just a flashlight for demo.

View attachment 29792

I HAVE to make progress quickly if I want to finish it for gamescom. I have literally 3 weeks left.
That's good that you're making progress. That's most important! :)

That looks bloody brilliant!

Alright, it took waaay longer than I thought. Spent whole day on the shins engraving the details, then painting... Well, spraying paint is always a longer process... Primer, waiting for it to dry, then I always do 2 layers of light gray. Covering up with tape was a looong process, because so many details and things to cover and such... and last - red details. On the outside only.
Right shin is complete, only weathering remains.

I couldn't wait and put the rest of the smaller parts togther to see how it looks like. And the shoe. And tried the pink stick to see if it works like it worked with the elbow - to connect the knee and shin together. Works! Will be attaching them permanently tomorrow.

DSC01186.JPGDSC01189.JPG

And forgot to share earlier, after I finished the shoulder I put on the whole arm together to see how it all looks together. Only padding inside undersuit and on the elbow pad is missing.

WP_20160725_10_05_59_Pro.jpgWP_20160725_10_05_15_Pro.jpg

That looks bloody brilliant!

Thank you very much, Sandbagger. Really appreciate it. :)

Alright, not a lot progress visible, but quite some progress.

I bondo'ed the whole chest today. It took 2 hours just to cover it in a bondo layer. O_O

WP_20160727_22_47_03_Pro.jpg

Why so little progress on the chest?
I permanently attached the knee to the shin today.

This was a long process, because I didn't want to rush, so:
- attached the stick to the shin and WAIT
- attach the knee to the stick and WAIT

Twice, because well, I have two shins and two knees. Every time had to wait and hold it til it cured.

Now I'm quite finished with the shins. I still have to permanently attach the small thingies on the front and back, but it isn't a problem and will be done quickly. Same with padding, after I order some foam, I'll add padding everywhere.

But yeah, I since the shins are quite wearable now, I wanted to see the progress, so I put on every finished leg part I have and made pictures.

Still have to paint the shins, but no problem. It feels nice to see progress.

DSC01192.JPGDSC01198.JPGDSC01203.JPGDSC01207.JPG

Your weathering always looks fantastic

Haha, thank you. I do my best. :D

This looks like a professional movie prop! It looks amazing! Keep up the great work!

Really, thank you very much for your kind words. I appreciate. :)

Look what I've gotten! It feels like Christmas! kaween very kind to print these two Halo 5's Magnums for me and I LOVE them. These are perfect. So nice, so smooth, so sexy.
Also, as you can see I already started on one and I'm sanding it down to make it smooth.
It might have looked bit bigger in my hand, but with the Spartan glove, IMO the PERFECT SCALE! Seriously, so damn happy with these. Thank YOU, kaween!

These are 27,5cm long, where 1:1 is 35cm. And the BoomCo is 19cm long. I think I nailed the scale, not too big, not too small. Just like in-game.
Also, there is that small part in the bottom, I just left it out for now.

I will be attaching both parts together soon, after I'll install the magnets in there.

WP_20160730_16_55_44_Pro.jpg
WP_20160730_16_55_59_Pro.jpg
WP_20160730_16_56_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20160730_16_57_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20160730_15_38_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20160730_15_38_36_Pro.jpg

And again, I really want to paint it in a similar way to that. Not exactly, but similar. I love the red details. I like the letter-UNSC one. It's nice and subtle. I will most likely do the vertical stripe from M6H instead of that eagle-UNSC logo. But really, love that skin - UNSC feel, black with some olive-gray color and red details. PERFECT.

arpistol.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn. Working on the chest. Finished the chest covers.

Bought new paint some days ago... I was out of the dark gray paint and the hardware store can't get any to stock since 2 months... So I had to buy it elsewhere.
I thought it would be just a little bit darker... How WRONG I was... Damn. This looks almost like black.

Well, already removed the paint. Have to go and buy another paint.

-_-

WP_20160801_23_51_16_Pro.jpg

*internally punches the holo table*

That Magnum looks amazing! Great work, as usual. I can't wait to see more!

Thanks. Been working on these two. :D

Hardened today the right thigh. 3 layers of resin inside and outside.
It took some time, because it was sitting on my leg every time it dried.
Why? Resined, fiberglassed and bondo'd armor is hard and rigit. It won't flex like foam.
So, I wanted to be able to move freely - to bend and lean forward, to sit and even crouch.
But, with all these different movements, the leg changes shape a bit and I didn't want to put any stress on the thigh armor.

This is why I actually made the armor wider - I put two additional paper pieces so it is very very loose now when I'm standing, but it doesn't have any stress when I move the leg in any direction.
How I did it? I put the armor piece on my leg. I sat and basically made the leg lean forward and each time I brushed a new layer, I sat in a similar position to keep the shape and not make it warp.

It took some time, but yeah, it's hard now.
I didn't fiber glass it yet.

I wanted to do second thigh too.
But...
Well...
I ran out of resin. ._.
I didn't think I'd use so much! I thought I had enough and I'd still have some left!

But well, I had to go for the second time and buy the resin. I bought fiberglass too, because I've seen I didn't have enough.
Well, tomorrow, if it will be sunny, I'll be hardening other thigh too and hopefully fiberglass both too.

And I'm doing that upper part facing little bit outwards, just to be able to actually bend forwards. In the game the model parts overlap when the Scout Spartan is crouching, jumping or leaning forward, etc.

And yeah, you can see my very flat hobbit feet! I like to be barefoot.

thigh.JPG

Don't lose hope Cmdr. Weapons or not your armor is still a work of art. I'm really rooting for you! Were you able to find more of the right grey color?

I bought a whole liter of resin yesterday, right? It's gone today.

I've resined the thighs and fiberglassed them... and resin is gone. I totally did NOT see it coming. I thought I'd have at least some resin left. Nope. All gone.

Also, just my thought as these are last pieces I had to harden... After all the hardening, experimenting with rondo and resin... and hearing people say it's rondo that adds a lot weight, I have to counter that. They are pretty heavy, almost like I would have mudglassed them.

BUT, I tried the thighs and the are great! :D
Fit very nicely, I can do everything with them - even crouch.

ALSO, apparently I've been chosen as one of the 30 finalists in the Gamescom Cosplay Contest. I totally did not see it coming... I applied some time ago, but I didn't think they'd even consider me.
Well, they said props ARE allowed for the contest, so I have to finish now my Magnums! O_O

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-03 at 7.42.43 PM.jpeg

thighs1.jpeg
thighs2.jpeg

Don't lose hope Cmdr. Weapons or not your armor is still a work of art. I'm really rooting for you! Were you able to find more of the right grey color?

I was actually chosen to be one of the 30 finalists in the Gamescom Cosplay Contest. Something I totally didn't expect... But they said props are allowed there, so I have to finish my Magnums now. ^^'

ALSO, I had this idea today. I was still thinking about crafing a sheath for the combat knife and put it on the shin, BUT i just had an idea and tried to fit the blade inside the thigh piece. It worked out perfectly as you can see! If I put it in the front, a little bit sticks out, if I put it rather on the side, it is all fully covered.

Well, for situations where I'd rather quickly draw the knife - front is better. For normal storage, side.

Brilliant solution! And yes, I can store it without any problem because I have a lot of space in there - the thighs are round, these places are hollow, my leg doesn't touch them, especially the front.

DSC01265.JPGDSC01266.JPG

Also, some photos of the thighs. It's all higher than it will normally be

Why? Shin armor plates can not stay up in desired position on my shins and immediately fall down - when they fall down it's painful for my foot, so I rather pull them up to have them sit.
But yeah, the thighs are very comfy, to be honest. I made them wider, so I can move without problem and without stressing it in any way.
But I can even crouch without any problem, only if the armor restricts my movement.

DSC01254.JPGDSC01257.JPGDSC01251.JPG

Just had this idea... To store my pouch with money, ID, cellphone, etc. in the chest armor between my boobs! LOL!

Best and weird thing is... It fits perfectly between that armor.

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-04 at 4.52.54 PM.jpeg

In case anyone is wondering, I have no problem reaching there with armor on.

WP_20160804_18_02_06_Pro.jpg

Looks fantastic!!!!! you have my vote for a win!!!!!

Hah, thank you. I didn't think I'd get chosen, to be honest. I didn't consider it. But well, there are many talented people there.
I don't think I can win, nor is it my goal. I want to promote Halo... and Palmer, hah. :ninja

Put almost whole armor on today. After most of the stuff is put together or finished, I really wanted to see how it looks.

AND THIS IS ACTUALLY THE FIRST TIME I PUT ON PRETTY MUCH THE WHOLE ARMOR! :D

So hyped now. :B There are still pieces I left out like gloves butt and abdomen cover, BUT the most important pieces are on.
Even without strapping system yet, where some things are sitting too low or too high, it looks co cool. *w* I made it and most work is done! It may seem like a lot is still left do to, but it really isn't.
Chest is almost done. Helmet halfway done. Only thighs are left.
Still, weighted most armor pieces and alltogether the costume should be 15-17kg. Bit heavy, but I already knew that before I even started it would have some weight.

armortest.jpg

Also, remember this?

WP_20160727_22_47_03_Pro.jpg

This is how the chest looks like now. It should be finished tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

WhatsApp Image 2016-08-04 at 8.04.55 PM.jpeg

Aaand tested the new paint I bought. Nailed it, I dare to say.
Sure, it is a little bit lighter, but just slightly. After weathering the difference shouldn't be recognizable as it's already quite subtle.

DSC01305.JPG

Nicely done Mara! Should of thrown the undersuit on to! But I know it's hard work enough to get all the armor on by yourself.

Also, I think you'll be surprised at how well you'll do at the competition! If not 1st place, I'll definitely think you'll be in the top 5 for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back