MY First Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreedomHunter

Well....how you could see i am new...im from punta arenas,chile i was looking in internet a way to make the master chief armor for an event...and i found the papercraft, and i search more information, i get here and i want to make the halo 3 mjolnir mark vi hd......how it is my first build....could YOU help me with any tip for the making of the armor?....thanks for all :)

My best advice is to be patient, I did my armour with pepakura and paper and it took a long time to get it right, especially fiberglassing, and make sure when you do fibre glass the pieces you have a way of holding it in the correct shape and able to leave it like that for at least a few days, I made frames out of rubber hose and wood for mine.

Patience is key.

Also, when you go to scale a piece, if you are going to slide it on and not split it, measure the narrowest part of the piece and the widest body part it will need to fit over (e.g. the neck on a helmet and your head). Take into account any padding/foam you're going to put on the inside for your measurements. And if you can figure out from the file which pieces make up that smallest part, try to make that first. It will save you lots of time building only to have an armor piece you can't use and have to re-scale.

Make sure you read the warning labels when you get to the resin, fiberglass, and bondo stages. Both resin and bondo are toxic, so it's highly recommended you wear a respirator and work in a well ventilated area. When sanding, I highly suggest wearing either the respirator or at least a mask to keep from breathing in the dust.

Start with something that's not very detailed (don't start with the helmet). You need to get accustomed to the techniques and detailed pieces are not great for learning. I've learned that one that hard way and will be backing up to something "simpler" on my next piece.

Other than that have fun with it. You're making Halo armour after all!

I tried freestyle first; worked out pretty well with me; I learned lots of things from eyeballing the stuff... *cough cough use type for freehands...

Patience is key.

Also, when you go to scale a piece, if you are going to slide it on and not split it, measure the narrowest part of the piece and the widest body part it will need to fit over (e.g. the neck on a helmet and your head). Take into account any padding/foam you're going to put on the inside for your measurements. And if you can figure out from the file which pieces make up that smallest part, try to make that first. It will save you lots of time building only to have an armor piece you can't use and have to re-scale.

Make sure you read the warning labels when you get to the resin, fiberglass, and bondo stages. Both resin and bondo are toxic, so it's highly recommended you wear a respirator and work in a well ventilated area. When sanding, I highly suggest wearing either the respirator or at least a mask to keep from breathing in the dust.

Start with something that's not very detailed (don't start with the helmet). You need to get accustomed to the techniques and detailed pieces are not great for learning. I've learned that one that hard way and will be backing up to something "simpler" on my next piece.

Other than that have fun with it. You're making Halo armour after all!

So I too am making my first set and the exact same build. The one thing i am worried about is scaling. i am 6'5" with a relatively athletic build. i added roughly 10 mm more than what i found as the scale do you think that amount would be enough to add padding and be comfortable? i have only printed the chest out so far so i am able to re-do anything right now.

Padding is good, especially with rough edges after you fiberglass, but yeah, what type of adhesive are you using? Are you on a deadline?

no deadline, just more of a hobby because i work nights now and on my days off i cant go outside and do yard work or work on my house because of my roommate. i will be using the typical resin and fiberglass to reinforce it. i also have a question about reinforcing the outside. would it be wise to use Plasti-dip on the outside to make the outer shell more durable? or is that not a good idea?

no deadline, just more of a hobby because i work nights now and on my days off i cant go outside and do yard work or work on my house because of my roommate. i will be using the typical resin and fiberglass to reinforce it. i also have a question about reinforcing the outside. would it be wise to use Plasti-dip on the outside to make the outer shell more durable? or is that not a good idea?

Plasti-dip has no structural qualities....its flexible, so it won't make anything stiffer. All of the stiffness in the armor should come from the layer(s) of fiberglass you lay on the inside. After the inside is glassed, then you can Bondo the outside and sand everything to the correct shapes, curves, and transitions.

Plasti-dip has no structural qualities....its flexible, so it won't make anything stiffer. All of the stiffness in the armor should come from the layer(s) of fiberglass you lay on the inside. After the inside is glassed, then you can Bondo the outside and sand everything to the correct shapes, curves, and transitions.

i meant more as a protection from outside things. I.E. if i were to go play airsoft in the suit. (not saying that i will. lol

i meant more as a protection from outside things. I.E. if i were to go play airsoft in the suit. (not saying that i will. lol

I wouldn't recommend using any plastidip, as it will just be a waste of money. Spray paint is the way to go for fiberglass builds!

Plasti-dip does not reinforce. It is flexible and rubbery. However you can use it on the outside of the armor to get rid of the sanding lines from the bondo. This worked for me, I was in a pinch to complete my armor and I didn't have very fine sandpaper to completely smooth out the helmet so I put three layers of plasti dip over the bondo and then painted it. It turned out just fine, the plastidip has not peeled away or anything and the helmet looks fine.

Plasti-dip does not reinforce. It is flexible and rubbery. However you can use it on the outside of the armor to get rid of the sanding lines from the bondo. This worked for me, I was in a pinch to complete my armor and I didn't have very fine sandpaper to completely smooth out the helmet so I put three layers of plasti dip over the bondo and then painted it. It turned out just fine, the plastidip has not peeled away or anything and the helmet looks fine.

Id recommend using a high build primer instead of plastidip for this! It's cheaper, and is designed for spray paint to adhere to it.

Id recommend using a high build primer instead of plastidip for this! It's cheaper, and is designed for spray paint to adhere to it.
Well then go with that. I'm still new and stuff and I had like 6 hours to finish my armor in time for Halo 5 launch. :) I was in quit a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back