The BorosBoss's Custom Foam Build-- Reach Mk. V Operator/Bulk

Status
Not open for further replies.

The BorosBoss

Jr Member
Hi everybody! I just finished my first build, Emile(thread accessible here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=44851 ), and have an idea of what to do better this time around. I'm going to be making my custom Reach spartan, Spartan T-609.
I don't have Vanity, so here are some details and pictures to make up for it:
Helmet: Operator/CNM(Want to do a black or shaded visor but we'll see what happens)
opcnm.jpg
Chest: Collar/Grenadier(Very, VERY lightly considering Collar/Breacher. Very lightly.)
cogrn.jpgcbr.jpg
>>HP/HALO Waistpiece
hphalowaist.jpg
Right Shoulder: Sniper
snipershoulder.jpg
Left Shoulder: Commando
commandoshoulder.jpg
Wrists-- Left: Buckler(Possibly Bracer)/Right: UA/Breacher
UA-BUCKLER.pngUA-BRACER.pnguabreacher.jpg
Thigh(Left): UA/Chobham
ua-chobham.jpg
Knees: Hard to decide between Gungnir and Grenadier. We'll address this later :)
141px-Gungnir.jpggrenadierkneepads.jpg
Knives: I'm going to have the kukri from my previous build as well as a standard UNSC combat knife. Or maybe 2 kukris. We'll see.
unscknife.pngmms_picture_1 (8).jpg
Color Scheme: Steel/Rust(Coral). That's metallic black and burnt orange.
brushed steal metal texture dark steel wall photo cold black.jpgburntorange.png
Hope this goes well. Thoughts, anyone?
-TBB

opcnm.jpg

cogrn.jpg

cbr.jpg

hphalowaist.jpg

snipershoulder.jpg

commandoshoulder.jpg

UA-BUCKLER.png

UA-BRACER.png

uabreacher.jpg

ua-chobham.jpg

141px-Gungnir.jpg

grenadierkneepads.jpg

brushed steal metal texture dark steel wall photo cold black.jpg

burntorange.png

unscknife.png

mms_picture_1 (8).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I'll probably be starting on the smaller parts first; that is, the ankle guards(neglected last time), knee pads(also neglected), hand plates(wow, I left a lot of things out :p), and making the forearms complete(skipped some parts on the Emile build). I also plan to put lights on:
-the back
-the helmet
-the thighs
-anyplace else I may have forgotten
Out of those, I think the ankle guards are going to come first. These likely won't be full-foot armor, but around the back and joint. I do plan to caution-tape them.
Here's a bit what I mean; This shows the front, which I don't intend to do, and I also intend to make them detachable so I can wear my boots for hiking.
anklearmor.jpg
I'm also currently drawing up blueprints for the kneepads(Grenadier as well as Gungnir). Stay tuned folks, and happy building!
-TBB

So! I have settled on the Grenadier kneepads. I plan on attaching them to some skating or construction kneepads. A base with some substance to it. They're a little wide but here they are:
Pieces & parts(beveling not shown)
mms_picture (72).jpg

The kneepads on my knees(Don't have a base yet but hopefully will soon)
mms_picture (71).jpg
Mom: I wish you wouldn't wear those jeans with holes in them..
Me(inwardly): Problem solved XD

Probably going to do the combat knife next. There's a pic of the blade in my older thread(link in post #1 of this one.) I plan to have the kukri mounted on my chest collar and the standard knife either inside or outside the right shoulder. Or maybe in the spot of the left forearm accessory, but that's less likely.
I day until Thanksgiving break! Happy building!
-TBB

Let me check them and then tell me if they're still not working. Thanks for letting me know. Happy thanksgiving, BTW..
EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Computer is now lagging as well as not posting pictures, and didn't see that this had already posted.

All right, costuming update: I will probably be foam-pepping the helmet, so this build won't be entirely freehand. But it will probably look better than what I would have done. I'll be using the satchmo III helmet; link to it in the file archive is here: http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=329
PerniciousDuke will be sending me the unfold because I can't run pep myself. He's good with pep, his pip-boy thread is here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46194 if anyone wants to look at some of his work. I will probably be editing as I go and removing some of the smaller pieces if I deem them superfluous. I may add them back once the base is complete.
Happy building, and welcome back to reality from break!
-TBB

Hey guys.. Something came in the mail today! No, it was not deez nuts. It was the operator satchmo III/jtm1997 operator helmet unfold mailed to me by PerniciousDuke! This is the only part of my build I'm not freehanding simply because as my time as a cosplayer(during and before my time at this forum), I have failed every helmet I tried to freehand. It's in the interest of not looking like *yoink.* I'm going to start converting it to foam as I go and making that helmet! Once the base is done, in go the PC fans and LEDs. Keep you posted!
Happy building,
-TBB

Don't have WIP photos of the helmet yet, but I did have some sweet ideas yesterday. Here are a few:
1208151210.jpg
If you can't see it there or by enlarging it, what I'm planning to do is: for the wiring to the side LEDs and internal ventilation fans, wire them to 2 9v batteries hidden in the CNM module, which is just the right size. It's perfect. I also intend to put LED's behing the goggle glass up front. I'm going to get a few plastic or plexiglas panes, hit them with some Nite-Shades, and then wire them to a 9v's behind the goggles themselves. The 2 smaller ones will be dim green, while the 1 big one will be dim red. Let me know what you guys think!
Happy building!
-TBB

Well, I'm glad you decided to go with using the goggles! I think they look rad. I don't know much about wiring, but I do think I have an eye for aesthetics and my only concern is the colors. I can guess why you're going with the green/red/green... green for night vision and red for infrared/thermal? While the thought to detail is awesome, I'm concerned about the Christmas associations. red/green has always been a tricky one because of that. I think it could be done with the right shades, maybe a dark red and light greens. Otherwise I would like to draw your attention to the character from Splinter Cell who proved that three green lights looks badass in the dark. Just an idea and they don't have to be all green, but they could all be the same color. I'm also picturing Oryx's three light blue flashlight eyes as an example. Your overall suit's colors should be weighed in too I would think. No matter what you do it's going to be pretty awesome if you wire lights into those goggles! Nice work.

Also, do you have an image of the CNM module you are going to be recreating? I'm not familiar with that piece.

I see what you're saying, Duke. As you can see, the pic has(I think?) red and green but it's true those aren't the best colors. It would be fairly simple to do the goggles in other colors. Say, slight orange tint on the center and slight blue tint for the small ones. The CNM module is a small comms device on the side of the head with a camera attached to it. I may end up clipping a light to this. Just a straight up light. The one with the 9v's will probably be a separate UA/HUL module on the other side of the head. This configuration isn't available in game... but this is cosplay and we can do what we want.
Here are some pictures:
CNM:1532541-operator___cnm.jpg(same image as displayed at the top of the thread) I was considering a bike light(Cygolite) but it's too large for the clip I have. I want it semipermanent because, well, I bike a lot. I may simply clip a smaller light closer to the crown of the helmet such as the light on the Military Police(and sometimes ODST) helmets.
UA/HUL:1532542-hul.jpg This will be the battery pack.
I'll try to get some WIP pics up soon but I'm a bit swamped at the moment. Happy building!
-TBB

I see. My bad on not noticing it in your first post. It was almost cropped out of the picture. :p Good luck with your progress! I'll keep an eye on it. I should be starting up my next project here shortly. Almost finished on some non-costuming related work that has been taking up all my free time (well that and Fallout 4) :) Peace!

Hi guys! I have just a few WIP pics for you. Not a lot, but I have cut out some of the larger helmet pieces! I haven't had a lot of time due to rehearsals and performances of the Madrigal Delights, dinner shows where the school choirs sing put on costumes and sing madrigal and renaissance Christmas music..
albany-high-school-madrigal-delights-50.jpe

But I have gotten some template-cutting done!
mms_picture (74).jpg
More later! Happy building!
-TBB

Attachments

• albany-high-school-madrigal-delights-50.jpe
    albany-high-school-madrigal-delights-50.jpe
    42.3 KB · Views: 333
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back