Alternative to toxic fiber glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellamin

Hi, I'm Ellamin, and i'm looking for an alternative to Fiberglass / Fiberglass Resin. I am new to the pepakura so but I don't have the equipment for Fiber glasses,. I'd also prefer not to use paper mache but, as it can be a bit more weaker then other methods, I'm sorry if this has been answered I just couldn't haven't been able to find something that is nice and sturdy to use instead of fiberglass. :) It has to be nontoxic, sturdy, and light. Please help me out :D

-Ellamin

Welcome to the 405th!

Now, to answer your question - if you're looking for non-toxic armouring processes, you might want to consider abandoning the Pepakura route and going for EVA foam crafting instead. It might require a new learning curve, but the EVA process doesn't use any toxic or otherwise hazardous materials, as far as I'm aware.

However, if you're still intent on the Pepakura route, I would suggest something like Aqua Resin or other epoxy-based resins. Some Google research will show you more about those and where to obtain them.

You should take a look at Smooth-on products, they can mostly be used inside and, unless ingested, wont do you any harm. They have a wide variety of products so id take a look at their site. Personally, id still wear a respirator following the "better safe than sorry" principle, but they are substantially less toxic than fiberglass resin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back