Destiny Warlock WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Song

Greetings, friends, and welcome to my humble thread. As the title suggests, I am in the process of making a cosplay of my Warlock character from Destiny. This is my first pepakura project, and here I will document my journey as I create my build. I had originally started this project back in May, but due to a number of circumstances, the project got scrapped for a time. With the release of The Taken King and a sudden surge of inspiration, however, I have decided to give it another go, and will hopefully see it through to the end this time. Any and all are welcome to follow me on my adventure, and if any of you are willing to impart some wisdom on this little pepakura scrub, that would be most appreciated.

The current lineup for this costume is as follows:

Ghost (shell currently undecided)
Haliaetus I (chest piece)
Light Beyond Nemesis (helmet)
Dujiao Shou I (gauntlets)
Haliaetus I (boots)
Spirit of the Vulture (bond--subject to change)
Thorn (weapon)

I have not decided on a Shader as of yet, although I'm leaning toward Rosegold, Gilgamesh, or Arctic Proxy. Below are some reference pictures of what I aim to build.

Haliaetus I Front.jpg
Haliaetus I Back.jpg
Light Beyond Nemesis ref.png
Light Beyond Nemesis ref 2.png
Thorn.jpg

When I first started this project, I made the mistake of jumping right in and going straight for the helmet (unfolded by the Infantry's own NoMaybeYes). That's probably part of why I gave up for a time, but alas, that is my nature to go big or go home. This time, however, I had the fortune of finding a pepakura file for the Ghost (found here: http://zerocat.blogspot.com/2015/01/ghost.html), and decided to go with that for a little practice before tackling the helmet again.

Ghost pep.jpg

I'm rather pleased with myself so far. This is only one half, and I will simply need to make a duplicate of this to finish it.

Ghost pep with orb.jpgGhost pep with orb 2.jpg

I also found a small plastic Christmas ornament that I will use for the "eye" in the center. I'll attempt to find some blue lights to put inside this weekend.

The ghost seems like a great place to start! Looking good so far. Small space to put lights in. I'm curious to see what you come up with. Good luck!

The ghost seems like a great place to start! Looking good so far. Small space to put lights in. I'm curious to see what you come up with. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm rather proud of myself so far. Hopefully I can keep it up. I don't anticipate myself needing too many lights, as the Ghost isn't very large (only about five inches across). I'm more worried about where I'm going to put the wire and batteries. But I'll figure something out depending on what lights I find.

I managed to finish the other half of the Ghost last night. The plastic ornament doesn't fit in quite as well as I would have liked, but I think it'll do. Ghost will be set aside for a bit until I can find some lights to fiddle with. For the next few days, I'll be working on cutting out pieces for the helmet.

Ghost pep finished.jpgGhost pep finished 2.jpg

Beautiful start to the ghost! It looks like so much fun! I want to try my hand at one too, mind if I ask you where you got your dimensions or if you designed it yourself would you mind sharing how you came up with them?

Cheers!

Beautiful start to the ghost! It looks like so much fun! I want to try my hand at one too, mind if I ask you where you got your dimensions or if you designed it yourself would you mind sharing how you came up with them?

Cheers!

Hi Rdrekers, welcome the 405th! There is a lot of information on this forum for how to create awesome props and costumes, but you have to read. You will note that Orca Song in his second post kindly provided the link to the file for the ghost that he is working on. Apart from that, visit the sticky in the New Recruit section to find everything you need to know to get you started: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=10744

Orca Song - Yeah, I did mean a small space for a light, wiring and a power source. In that OG build that you linked to I think the guy mentioned Ikea for the light he used. Do you have one of those stores?

Wow, to be honest I despise Destiny... but I'm thrilled to see your progress!
Your Ghost looks so cute <3

Looking forward to your helmet build since my nephew has asked me to build him a Destiny helmet. Not sure if I'm going to do the same one you are doing tho. Keep calm and pep.

Orca Song - Yeah, I did mean a small space for a light, wiring and a power source. In that OG build that you linked to I think the guy mentioned Ikea for the light he used. Do you have one of those stores?

I don't have an Ikea anywhere near me, but I do have Radio Shack, which specializes in electronics. I bought a small LED and a switch to play around with today. I got the LED to light up when attaching it directly to the battery, but I can't seem to figure out how to connect the switch to the light. Haven't come across a tutorial or diagram that displays a switch that looks like mine yet so I'm completely lost right now. I'll post a picture of the switch, and if anyone could give me a hint, that would be fabulous.

Switch.jpg

Also, thank you to all who have commented so far! I hope to make you all proud. <3

Cool. I just did my first light up recently. Do you have an Ohm meter? That can help you determine what the different parts of the switch do, by sending current through and seeing if it makes a full circuit.

Anyways, mine also had 6 prongs. I ended up sending the positive wire (typically red) from the battery to one of the middle prongs. Then another red wire from one of the corners closest to where you just wired the battery (left or right determined which way I would have flipped the switch). I'd imagine yours would be the same. So, to recap, wire one wire from the battery to a middle prong and then take the positive wire from your light and start touching the other prongs. (the black wire should also be connected straight from the light to the battery to complete the circuit). Did that make sense?

I think I get what you're saying. I don't have an Ohm meter, so I'll have to keep playing with it until I can figure out which one goes where. Thank you for giving me a starting point, though. You've been a great help. =)

And the Traveler said, "Let there be light." And it was so.

Ghost with light 2.jpgGhost with light.jpg

I did manage to get the lights I had working (many thanks to PerniciousDuke for helping me with that), but in the end I decided to go with some store-bought lights for the sake of convenience. Unfortunately, the battery pack was a little bigger than I anticipated. I think that'll be fine, though. I intended to mount the Ghost on a wire above my shoulder anyhow, so I think I'll just trail the wire for the light down to my shoulder when I get him mounted. I also have him primed and ready for his finishing colors. Going to experiment with some weathering techniques beforehand so I know what I'm doing when I get to that.

Many apologies for how slow my progress has been lately. I work in retail and, as I'm sure you can imagine, it's been mass chaos with Christmas approaching. But the good news is my paint job is finished! I decided to go with the Turquoise Shell for my Ghost. Here's the in-game screenshot:

Turquoise shell.jpg

And here's mine:

Painted Ghost both halves.jpg
Painted Ghost front half.jpg

There are some rough edges and some pepakura pieces that didn't line up quite right, especially around those danged grooves in the center, but overall I'm quite happy with it. For the weathering, I decided to try using masking fluid, and I liked it for the most part, but I feel like the "scratches" came out looking too big compared to the overall size of the Ghost (you can see a couple of examples of this on the left half in the top picture). After trying this a couple times, I opted to just use my fingernail to scratch and scrape the paint off as it dried, and I feel like it came out much better and gave it a much more realistic feel. It's something I still need to practice with, I think, but I'm pleased with myself considering this is my first attempt.

Now the only thing left to do is attach those little silver tabs on the front and find a way to mount him to my shoulder. I have a griffin puppet that perches on my shoulder by placing a padded piece of metal under my sleeve and setting the puppet, which has magnets on the bottom, on top of the metal piece. I think I may try to do something like this with the Ghost so that I can wear him with any outfit and it won't be a pain to mount him to my shoulder each time.

Cool paint job! Curious, did you harden the paper in any way? As for the mounting, I wouldn't worry about it until you have more of the outfit made, then you'll be able to play around with it and know for sure what will work. Always good to have a plan in mind though, in case you end up needing to modify what you're doing to better fit your future plans. Keep it up! And despite your stressful job setting... yay Christmas! :)

Ghost and I would like to extend our warmest Christmas wishes to you all! I'm very grateful to have found such a fun-loving and helpful community of cosplayers, and I hope to become more involved this upcoming year.

Christmas Ghost.jpg

And thank you, Duke! No, I didn't use anything to harden the paper. It's just clear matte acrylic sealer and acrylic paint. I was afraid that adding all the fiberglass and resin would make it too heavy to mount on a wire, so I skipped that this time. Plus, it won't be any huge loss for me if he does get damaged along the way. It didn't take too long to get him built, and there are some things that I would like to do differently if I make another one. I will definitely be using the resin and fiberglass for my helmet and gun, though. If I have to cut out pepakura pieces for Light Beyond Nemesis and Thorn more than once, I may just lie down and cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back