Red vs Blue Filex build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fllschrimjager

Jr Member
Hey all,

So I have been re-watching RVB and decided after I screwed up the start to my recon build that I might want to try to make filex's bad**s armor from RVB.

RvB12_TeaserTrailer_Felix.pngFelix_betrays_Reds_and_Blues.png

I have started with finding all the pep files for it which thanks to the archives on here was pretty easy(also found a bunch of other good things I may want to build). Ok so to start I wanted to build the main pieces of armor which is the soldier chest piece he uses.

H4_Soldier_Concept_Art.jpg

Chest plate- so once i finished printing and peping this chest piece I want on to harden it but ran into some problems. So to start I read somewhere on here that the smooth-cast liquid plastic was a really good alternative to the classic resin and fiber glass. That for me at-least turned out to be completely false. I started to apply this liquid plastic to the chest plate in small batches to prevent warping and it seemed to be working and was very fast to dry so I could do a lot more work in a short period of time on this. This is when I ran into my problem! since I used packing tape to assemble my pep that may have been the problem but ya. So as I started to apply it to the pieces that go around my side the tape holding it together started to un ahead to the card stock.

IMAG1255.jpg

That is when I realized that the chemical that made it was dissolving the adhesive on the tape. It was good I found this out early and I could save most of the work I did on the chest just not the side parts (going to rebuild them out of foam to make them more flexible.)

So not that I solved that I just went back to the classic way it looks like most people do on here which is resin. I currently just finished the first layer of resin on the outside and inside. (how many layers should you put of just the resin I was going to put 2 on the inside and 3 on the outside before adding the bondo stuff to the outside and the fiberglass to the inside)

IMAG1254.jpgIMAG1261.jpgIMAG1260.jpgIMAG1262.jpg

I also have been working on some of the other stuff I will need like the venator shoulders and the gloves along with modifying some of the props I had laying around.
The shoulders are currently being covered in that bondo body filler stuff to smooth out the paper edges and I have finished the gloves along with a knife and pistol.

IMAG1263.jpgIMAG1264.jpg

For the combat knife and the pistol they are both 3d printed on a makerbot replicator 2.

Original
IMAG1241.jpgIMAG1232.jpg

New
IMAG1253.jpg

For the gloves those are some gloves I found at ace and added some sheet metal plates to them.

IMAG1256.jpgIMAG1258.jpgIMAG1257.jpg

Also been working on the throwing knifes he uses in RVB.
images.jpgIMAG1259.jpg

looks great so far keep up the great work and you are on your way to having a great suit, i also love rvb but am a personal fan of doughnut or caboose

Looks great man. Every post I've read regarding using liquid resin says not to use tape for the same reason that happened to you. The tape has a chemical reaction and dissolves. Glad you caught it in time. If I may make a suggestion regarding the knife: It looks too plastic-like. I'm not apposed to color co-ordination but you need to put some realism to it. Put a dark silver or metallic tint to the blade edge and in to the blood well. Then it will look more like a true knife than a plastic toy.

If I may make a suggestion regarding the knife: It looks too plastic-like. I'm not apposed to color co-ordination but you need to put some realism to it. Put a dark silver or metallic tint to the blade edge and in to the blood well. Then it will look more like a true knife than a plastic toy.

This is a great idea I will work on doing that thanks for the suggestion.

Wow, I don't know the series but I'm really curious on your progress. It looks great so far! :D

A little update on the gloves knife and pistol.

IMAG1267.jpgIMAG1266.jpgIMAG1265.jpgIMAG1268.jpg

So I added a little dry brushing to everything with a black and grey, Also on the knife i added a little dark red for some blood and a little bit of purple blue for some covenant blood.

Nice. Now it doesn't look like a toy knife. Great job.

Another update on progress

So today I spent time working on doing the last 2 coats of resins so tomorrow I can Fiberglas the inside
Also I have been working on the shoulders and have some pictures for them.
IMAG1270.jpgIMAG1271.jpgIMAG1273.jpgIMAG1274.jpg

So finished my second layer of the bondo and some sanding putting the last thin layer on now before I prep them for being painted.

Another update on progress

So today I spent time working on doing the last 2 coats of resins so tomorrow I can Fiberglas the inside
Also I have been working on the shoulders and have some pictures for them.
View attachment 20936View attachment 20937View attachment 20938View attachment 20939

So finished my second layer of the bondo and some sanding putting the last thin layer on now before I prep them for being painted.
Are those shown before or after sanding? You might be putting the bondo on a little thick still. However the shape is correct and you definitely tell those are felix's. (That dirtbag....that hilarious talking dirtbag.)

Are those shown before or after sanding? You might be putting the bondo on a little thick still. However the shape is correct and you definitely tell those are felix's. (That dirtbag....that hilarious talking dirtbag.)

Those where after I did some wet sanding with 400git sand paper

Those where after I did some wet sanding with 400git sand paper

Looking good. I agree with shwarzwald though. It might be a little thick, or you just need to sand some more. Bondo can be roughed up with as low as 60 grit. Then step your way up (ie, 120 then 220, then 320) If it's still not what you're looking for then you can go to wet sanding at 400 plus. Basically, it's those divots that shwarzwald is worried about. Sand them down with rough paper to get an even surface (or add more putty into the divot) and then sand with finer to make it smooth. However, it can also be intentional to not sand them out. Like on my Pipboy, I wanted to leave divots in to make it look like a rough aluminum cast. Yes it is a lot of sanding either way, but you will be so proud when it's done. :) Keep it up, dude! I'm a huge RvB fan and love to see these builds. I can't wait to see some more of yours!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good. I agree with shwarzwald though. It might be a little thick, or you just need to sand some more. Bondo can be roughed up with as low as 60 grit. Then step your way up (ie, 120 then 220, then 320) If it's still not what you're looking for then you can go to wet sanding at 400 plus. Basically, it's those divots that shwarzwald is worried about. Sand them down with rough paper to get an even surface (or add more putty into the divot) and then sand with finer to make it smooth. However, it can also be intentional to not sand them out. Like on my Pipboy, I wanted to leave divots in to make it look like a rough aluminum cast. Yes it is a lot of sanding either way, but you will be so proud when it's done. :) Keep it up, dude! I'm a huge RvB fan and love to see these builds. I can't wait to see some more of yours!
Thank you for expanding on that. Trying to answer posts here and the fb page on breaks doesn't exactly give me adequate time to flesh out a post. But yes thats pretty much spot on. Personally I go between 60-80 grit until its all even. Then its filling the divots in and hitting it with higher and higher grit.

Thank you for expanding on that. Trying to answer posts here and the fb page on breaks doesn't exactly give me adequate time to flesh out a post. But yes thats pretty much spot on. Personally I go between 60-80 grit until its all even. Then its filling the divots in and hitting it with higher and higher grit.

Thanks for the advice guys it does look a little thick on bondo in that picture but it really is just 2 thin coats and only lighly sanded but now i am on to making it all smooth and i will do that technique PerniciousDuke and Shwarzwald mentioned. Thanks guys for that.

sorry for the lack of updates been away for a while training away from home but i'm now back and continuing my build. So at the moment there are no pictures but i have finished fiber glassing my chest plate and also started to bondo it (looking for some advice about keeping the detail while also smoothing it out on that part.) I also started to resin the scout helmet that i finished peping recently so will be posting pics when that is completed.
As an after note what is the best adhesive for attaching stuff to gloves?

Ok it is time for a large update

So I have been gone for a while and now I have gotten down to work. I have been working on my helmet and chest plate also rebuilding my shoulders for I found a better file

I have currently finished fiberglassing both my chest plate and helmet and resining my new shoulder

IMAG1275.jpgIMAG1284.jpgIMAG1283.jpgIMAG1282.jpgIMAG1281.jpgIMAG1280.jpgIMAG1279.jpgIMAG1278.jpgIMAG1277.jpgIMAG1276.jpgIMAG1293.jpg

Also here are some pic of my WIP of the bondo on the helmet, chest, and shoulder

IMAG1292.jpgIMAG1291.jpgIMAG1290.jpgIMAG1289.jpgIMAG1288.jpgIMAG1287.jpgIMAG1286.jpgIMAG1285.jpg

goes to RTX wearing this, and sits in burnies chair like a boss, and when asked to move you just go on one of his rants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back