Duke's Destiny Ghost *WIP +photos!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerniciousDuke

RCO & BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Member DIN
S128
I know, I know.. still no progress on a Halo suit. :unsure It's just so daunting. I'm getting very close though. I will definitely start before the year is out, promise!

In the meantime, I saw this awesome Ghost pep because of Orca Song 's current Warlock build shown here: http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=46351
Within his build he posted a link to a blog where the download file for building the ghost can be obtained here: http://zerocat.blogspot.com/2015/01/ghost.html

[Space reserved for photo of finished piece]
*File height altered to 100mm to look better ornamenting my small Christmas tree.

20151211_173132_zpshjaciyao.jpg

Basically, work was slow today so I printed this guy out and started folding and cutting.

Materials Used (so far):
2pages 110lb cardstock
5.0 ballpoint pen
Xacto knife
cutting board
razor blade
2sticks mini hot glue
low temp mini hot glue gun

Current Stage (+time):
Pep'ed (4 hours)

20151211_173132_zpshjaciyao.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
When I started this at work, I didn't have my regular supplies so I started with the pre-scoring..while the pieces were still on the page. Then I grabbed a razor blade from the guys in the shop and started making my cuts, using a piece of wood as backing. My advice on cutting out pep pieces. Take your time. Take extra care when cutting a numbered edge, whereas tabs don't need "perfect" edges. On the same hand, be sure to take extra time when scoring those tabbed edges. That way when you get to gluing, those two edges match up perfectly. Lastly, once you've cut out half the pieces on a page cut the excess paper away. You don't need that getting in your way.

First and most difficult part of this pep is the horizontal groove.
20151211_190057_zpsqvllgwqx.jpg
Below is my technique for how to fold those thin pieces to get that recess and keep it even:

First I always work multiple folds starting with the one closest to the edge and working my way down. Here the closest fold to the edge is a mountain fold. I hold it against a straight edge (in this case a razor blade, but I would highly recommend the safer alternative a small metal ruler).
20151211_184736_zpspbgnlltv.jpg

After making sure that the line in the above photo is lined up on either side to the edge of the straight edge behind the paper I push it down, like so:
20151211_184813_001_zpshadedayv.jpg

The next one is a valley fold. For this I then move the paper to the other side of the straight edge and bend it over after making sure it is lined up.
20151211_184922_zps1pgmlyck.jpg

Now I would like to note that when gluing the recessed pieces in I only glued the sides and did not glue the recessed piece to each other (both #65 and #60 in the photo).
20151211_190940_zpswzys3lno.jpg
20151211_185007_zps9tue7ie8.jpg
Then once I had them all in place I globed a spot of hot glue on the inside of those lines and held my finger in the burning plastic until it was dried and adjusted properly. You can see how that looked once done in the second photo on #65, whereas #60 hasn't had this done yet). The point of it all was so that I could make any minor adjustments after inserting the recess and not risk warping the outer pieces' geometry (which is the most important aspect of this prop).

Here it is!
20151211_193758_zpstxtxis6c.jpg

I'd like to see if anyone has an idea for the next step..
20151211_193807_zpsweblhbba.jpg

The piece is split down the middle and I would like to be able to make it "openable" with a hinge or something. I can install a hinge, the hard part is how to secure it closed opposite of the hinge. The reason is that I would like to be able to change the contents of the inner chamber at any time. Any ideas on how I could do this? I plan to put a clear plastic ball in the middle and have a light inside.

Thanks for checking this out! I should be fiberglassing it Monday.

20151211_190057_zpsqvllgwqx.jpg

20151211_184736_zpspbgnlltv.jpg

20151211_184813_001_zpshadedayv.jpg

20151211_184922_zps1pgmlyck.jpg

20151211_190940_zpswzys3lno.jpg

20151211_185007_zps9tue7ie8.jpg

20151211_193758_zpstxtxis6c.jpg

20151211_193807_zpsweblhbba.jpg

Just secure it for hardening and shaping, cut it apart, then use a hinge and a magnet to close it. Pair the magnet with another, or for a weaker bond but still plenty strong use one magnet and a piece of a craft knife blade embedded in the opposite surface. Just make sure the blade fragment is on the surface for the magnet to grab.

Nice! I don't know why I didn't think about magnets, I've seen them used on a lot of suits. I like your weaker magnet idea too. Thanks, dude!

Yeah, I've never seen someone use the blade+magnet on a suit, but I see it all the time in Warhammer 40,000 models. From personal experience, it should be strong enough for a Ghost- but mine doesn't have lights, just a painted eye that I can replace.

Yeah, I've never seen someone use the blade+magnet on a suit, but I see it all the time in Warhammer 40,000 models. From personal experience, it should be strong enough for a Ghost- but mine doesn't have lights, just a painted eye that I can replace.

Sweet, I'd love to see it! I just checked out your props page and didn't see it on there, but was reminded that I've seen your work before.. that scepter. Nice work you do there.

Wow! It's insane! Madness! Some of these pieces are so small X_X
Great job, mate! These are so clean and nice :3

Aww, I'm so glad I could help someone here! The thing you did with folding the small pieces against the razor blade is an awesome idea and I wish I'd thought about that while I was doing mine. Those grooves were a huge pain! But in any case, this looks great so far, and I can't wait to see how it turns out. =)

Thanks for the kind words everyone!
In case you did not notice, Kyre did update his facebook page to include a couple finished shots of his Ghost.
Orca Song I think we all help each other in different way just by posting on here. Even just everyone saying how good something looks helps me keep working harder! Speaking of which I am looking forward to more progress on your Destiny character!

I finally have gone out to pick up more resin so the ghost can be revived once again!

I don't know if it was a good idea, but I hot glued the two halves together before resining. The reason was because I know I am going to loose some material when I cut them apart. So now there is a little extra material between the two that I can cut away.
20160103_121722_zpsvwprrf6a.jpg

Here it is with one coat on the outside. I will next be coating the inside with resin and then will try my first attempt at rondoing.
20160103_130108_zps8hvfkbuo.jpg

Attachments

• 20160103_121722_zpsvwprrf6a.jpg
    20160103_121722_zpsvwprrf6a.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 344
  • 20160103_130108_zps8hvfkbuo.jpg
    20160103_130108_zps8hvfkbuo.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 379
Geez, do I have enough projects going at once?? Lol. I've been picking away at this guy, mostly while I'm waiting for other stuff to dry. I thought I'd show it here with it's first coat of bondo sanded. I tried just priming the resined paper, but I didn't like how it looked.

20160529_141314_zps0gpiv0k2.jpg

Attachments

• 20160529_141314_zps0gpiv0k2.jpg
    20160529_141314_zps0gpiv0k2.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 334
I haven't forgot about this build. KRI667 kindly reached out and shared a link to me for a 3d printable version of the ghost. I will still be finishing this one, but I thought that others looking at my build may find it useful.

Also, since the last post I have given it another coat of bondo. I think it only needs one more coat and then I can start painting. After the newest DLC release I have settled on the shell that I will try to replicate.
Iron Song Shell (without the wings)
IronSong.jpg

I haven't forgot about this build. KRI667 kindly reached out and shared a link to me for a 3d printable version of the ghost. I will still be finishing this one, but I thought that others looking at my build may find it useful.

Also, since the last post I have given it another coat of bondo. I think it only needs one more coat and then I can start painting. After the newest DLC release I have settled on the shell that I will try to replicate.
Iron Song Shell (without the wings)
View attachment 33545

Not to hijack the thread but here is the 3D printed version for all wondering.

20161118_142013.jpg

Attachments

• 20161118_142013.jpg
    20161118_142013.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 332
Not to hijack the thread but here is the 3D printed version for all wondering.

http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/krislnd667/20161118_142013.jpg

heh, yeah; I printed one of those, but the darn thing was a pain to assemble.
the end result was nice, though I wouldn't recommend it

and, Duke... How many projects do you have going at once?! what... 4(ish)?
too many. :D :D :D :D :D
I'd say it's safe to stop at five projects at once. that seems like a nice, round number to me:lol

On a clock, of course!

Puns aside, good work Duke! Can't wait to see your ghost painted. I still need to finish mine, it's sitting around somewhere... Just curious, why not do the wings?

Well.. I've already made it without the wings, so that is a big reason. But, I also think the regular version is pretty dope looking on it's own. I don't think the wings really add to the sleek sci-fi image and it takes away from the symmetry. Like when the ghost comes apart in it's "energy" form, where do the wings go?

Nice work KRI667 hijack accepted. :)

and, Duke... How many projects do you have going at once?! what... 4(ish)?
too many. :D :D :D :D :D
I'd say it's safe to stop at five projects at once. that seems like a nice, round number to me:lol

Lol... I only have three right now. Long term (probably a year) Reach Suit, current Helmet and this side prop project. Although, I will be adding another one shortly.. :ninja I have been asked to make a Titan trooper helmet from the video game of the same name. I am looking forward to that one. I guess I do have a Mark VI helmet that I haven't mentioned that is still in bondo phase.. Oh no. You're right, five is the limit. Cut me off guys!

Ohp, I just remembered the 3d shotgun. Lol. I don't count that because there is not much left to do and I don't have a suit to finish it for.

Consider yourself cut off and disowned! Haha but your answer to the ghost thing makes sense. I'm of the asymetric boat but to each his own :D

Disowned?! But, but... I like you guys so much. :cry

I finished cutting the last piece of foam for my engineer helmet and it looked an awful lot like a.. well you'll see.

You haven't seen the last of me Kyre ! Mwaahahaha!
Wait, why am I laughing? I haven't even come up with my evil plan yet.

20161127_123647_zpswp1xzcl8.jpg

Attachments

• 20161127_123647_zpswp1xzcl8.jpg
    20161127_123647_zpswp1xzcl8.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 336
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back