halo 3 hunter 10' tall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be curious to know what this weighs when you finish, to help me decide whether to go with fiberglass or foam when I get around to building my hunter (I had the same idea about a year ago to do a hunter for accompanying my kid's Master Chief outfit). But even if I do fiberglass, I think the spines should still be foam to avoid impaling anybody. I was also considering some sort of pulley system for raising and lowering them to help with getting through doorways and just being a neat effect. One of the nice things about somebody else doing this first is I get to learn from your build. SLC is probably where we'll end up going too now that Tree City Comic Con has been discontinued in Boise.

I'm really hoping to keep it under 60 lbs. The biggest reason I am doing it in glass is because I like the strength and look. As for the pointy spines, I will be totally rounding off the tips once it is glassed. Ya could you imagine how many people would end up scratched. My plan for them also is to automate them, yes a pulley system is exactly what I have figured on doing. I still have a couple of pneumatic rams laying around that I have been planning on using. I have a regulator that attaches to a high pressure cylinder that will bring the pressure down far enough that I will be able to control the spines with air. So do you think you will have your son's suit done for this year's con? It would be a blast to have more mini chiefs running around!

Heh, I doubt just the models will be done by then, let alone all the building and finishing!

You could wear it on the plane.....I don't think anyone would notice. Forget about security, they will let you pass w/o a word.........BTW , I have a bridge for sale.....CHEAP!! Interested?

So I got the the rest of the spines done. They kind of look like big creepy fingers.

20160210_110841.jpg

20160210_110853.jpg

So now on to the chest armor. I have 56 pages of 18x24 paper to cut out, 156 parts. Oh yeah fun!

Man! So true! That helmet is looking awesome. I am working on getting print ready, it's not really very hard. There is so much detail in it already that the only thing that I am working on is solidifying it. There is a couple spots that are not behaving the way it needs to, so just a little tweaking.

I was just thinking about the suits my younger brothers whipped together and they splattered orange paint on their suit to, sorry to say.. simulate the death of your brethren. It would be scary to mess with the sweet paint job on your son's suit, but I was thinking that a little hunter blood on him might make for some sick pictures! :) Just a thought.

I will totally run that idea by him, that would be fun.

So have finally got all the parts cut and sorted. It's looks like I have a busy weekend of work, so I'm not sure how much of the chest I will get done.

I just love it when people go all out in their builds... Like you Hunter!!!
It's gonna be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Super great work so far!!!! :thumbsup

Just a quick update, I finished the back of the chest piece and started on the sides tonight. I will post some pictures of it tomorrow. Hopefully I can get it done by tomorrow night.

Gotta say, you should definitely look into being able to lock the arms into a certain position, as it will make posing and pictures a lot easier.

So the light at the end of the tunnel for this chest, its getting closer to being done.

20160220_091656.jpg

20160220_091708.jpg

20160220_091726.jpg

20160220_091747.jpg

So the last picture is the lower back and the lower front. All I have left to assemble is the middle front and the neck. I will also have to add a ton of bracing, with as big as it is there will be no way it will keep the right shape with out it.

So today is my 13th anniversary with my beautiful wife , obviously I won't be working on it today:D. I should have it done by next weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back