halo 3 hunter 10' tall

Status
Not open for further replies.

hopkins77

Jr Member
Hey everyone! Like I said in my other post, once I got started on it I would start a new post for it. So here we go! With any luck this build will turn out to be a 10 foot tall hunter from halo 3. I was shooting for 12 feet but I was worried about it having poor mobility. So with a lot of head scratching and toying with my drywall stilts, 10 feet tall is my ideal height.

I found the files back in October, which was not easy. Allen Brantley was the person who did the unfold, and my hat is off to him, it was done nicely. The original files are scaled for a 6 foot body, so I had a local print shop up size them 60% and print it on 135 lb card stock. I figured that with the size of most of the parts I needed something a bit heavier that standard card stock.

I will be using a similar color scheme to my son's mark 4 suit. But instead of gold and black I will be doing silver and black with no distressing. I want it to look like it is fresh off the press from the covenant factory! :)

The first boot!
20151209_194637.jpg

Let there be two!
20160105_213756.jpg

20160105_213810.jpg

This build is going to be a blast!!

Have you ever fallen over while wearing DW stilts? cuse it HURTS!!!!!!! I would hate to know what it feels like to fall wearing a suit. But it would be cool.......not the falling part.......the build.

Yay! Another Hunter! :D

Just as a forewarning: Dry wall stilts are not comfortable to stand in for long periods of time. For my Hunter, I couldn't stand in the stilts for more than 10 minutes without major discomfort and feeling my feet going numb. Aside from the discomfort, it is also very difficult to maintain balance. Not only do you have to balance your own weight, but you also have to account for the weight of the Hunter armor itself.

Jeremie and I will be changing out the stilts for some custom made ones that don't flex so we don't have to fight for us to keep upright.

HEY!!MASTER SABER!! I was hoping that this build would get your attention! My son and I totally love the hunter that you built, matter of fact that is how my son got the idea for our next comic con.

As for the stilt issue, I have a pretty nice pair that I am thinking of using. I have spent hours at a time in them without too much fatigue. I'm not sure if I am willing to give up a $300 pair of stilts for a costume, so I have been working on a design that I will custom build just for this suit. My goal is to make it have a good range of motion and not look like I am struggling to move it around. But all of those details I will work out when I get a bit further into this biuld.

As for the falling while on stilts question, ya twice, but anyone who has had to wear them for days or weeks at a time has biffed it at least once. :) both times I crashed I had them st at 42 inches tall tripped on a cord. When I have have them set at 30 inches I can just about run in them, my wife thinks I nuts when she sees me do it.

Tonight I will be starting on the shins. So hopefully in a couple days I will have some more progress pics!

Again, thank you all for the comments and support.

I'm glad mine and Jeremie's work inspires people! :)

I'm glad to hear you have a pretty nice pair of stilts in mind. I'm just concerned about you being uncomfortable because you won't be able to move around in the stilts much when you wear the costume. The armor on top of the stilts makes them much more bulky and harder to walk in and you'll be stuck in one spot while people try to take pictures of you anyway.

I am fortunate to not fall over in our stilts. If I had fallen in the stilts with all the armor, that would cause a lot of damage to the suit and not just me!

You just gotta be careful and be sure to take slow deliberate steps when you're in character! Much more convincing that way! :)

This will be awesome

Saber, I saw your suit while doing, uh, research. Wow.

"I'm just a witness"

Hey everyone, I need your opinion. I just finished the first shin piece and I am thinking the boot pieces are too small in proportion to the shin. My son is saying they are fine, but I am thinking that they are a bit small.

20160107_171147.jpg

20160107_171137.jpg

But hey! The shins look cool!

They both look cool! Compared to an in-game photo I found on google images that for some reason won't attach, yes the toe is a bit small. But, I don't think it's enough to redo.

What scaling method are you using? I'd highly recommend adapting Method #1 for the hunter. It would keep the pieces proportional to whichever in-game reference photo you pick.

The original artist has it scaled for a 6 foot tall person. I checked by measuring a few of the pieces the pepakura ruler and it check out fine. I also have the entire hunter figure in pep not just the pieces, and the boot does look a bit small. So what I have built is accurate to his work. I have been referencing of a few images I found on line and mabey I am just over thinking it, but it looks a bit too small.

This on is obviously an in game shot.
Screenshot_2016-01-06-23-45-22.png

This on is the action figure.
Screenshot_2016-01-04-18-21-50.png

So what I am seeing is that the boot is a little bit wider than the bottom of the shin and the toe point goes about 3/4 of the way op on the front of the shin. But again I might be over thinking it, because it does look pretty cool.

Yes, the boot is too small compared to the shin. I've been referencing Hunter images also (that I capture myself from the game) because I'm building new, more game-accurate and better proportioned, models that have much more detailing than the files online. I've had to completely remake the shield due to incorrect proportions and detailing in those original Hunter files.

I just finished reprinting the boots. I made them 40% bigger. I haven't cut them out yet but I can already see that they are going to be so much better. I will put them together tomorrow and post some pics.

For RobotChicken, ya the detail on those files is not the best by any means. So I will be doing lots more searching for good shots on a hunter.

Question: Are you going to be pepping and fiberglassing this build?

I would highly recommend using EVA foam over fiberglass and rondo (bondo/resin mix) since it's light-weight. You also don't have to deal with toxic fumes and particles while building with EVA. If you're making a full-sized Hunter out of the heavier stuff, it's all gunna add up and be very difficult to balance in the end.

Edit: Also, if you want to contact me for pointers and things, you can PM me. :)

Yes I will be peping and gassing the whole suit, the weight issue is a bit of a concern. I am fairly handy with glass and resin, and if I can manage to keep it around 1/4" thick it should stay at a manageable weight. I am figuring that it will be somewhere around 80 lbs. That is also figuring the skeletal framework in to that weight. I am planning on a back pack kind of set up to carry the upper body and arms. I will also be making a stilt set up for the leggs instead of using a traditional drywall stilt. I will be able to make a more stable platform and more comfortable mounting system for my leggs. As for the fume issue, no problem. In construction we like to say, if it doesn't stink or can potentially kill you it's not a good product! :) I have played with enough hazardous materials in my line of work to understand the dangers that they can have. Mostly I really like how a good glassing job looks when it's done.

Then best of luck to you! You are far braver than I am!

Our finished Hunter was about 30 lbs if you don't include the stilt/boots. We used PVC pipe for the skeleton attached to a backpacking frame.

Do you know what you will be using for the worms?

We used pipe insulation foam, but we will probably trade that out for sewed couch foam with orange fabric and then paint on the details.

That's really funny!! My son and I were just talking about using fabric for the worms and air brushing in the detail.

So here is the new boot size.

20160108_174935.jpg

Much better!!

Tonight I will put the other boot together and then on the the other shin.

Attachments

• 20160108_174912.jpg
    20160108_174912.jpg
    738.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 20160108_174912.jpg
    20160108_174912.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 220
Yaaaa! Two boots and shins done. I will be moving on to the thigh armor next. I probably won't get much done on them till next weekend, I have a busy week of work ahead. So due to the weather here in southern idaho, I won't be glassing any thing till some time in march. But the up side to that is all my pepakura work will be done by then. I might also have my son's suit printed by then too. Which will lead to many smelly days in the garage:)

Here are the pictures

20160110_164804.jpg

20160110_164750.jpg

20160110_164733.jpg

More coming soon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back