MDF Halo Reach Gravity Hammer ( My Bro's First Build)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this is my first MDF build and I am not NetherCraft I am NetherCraft's brother. Pics every weekend. :)

Happy Building 405th!

Hi this is my first MDF build

I'm sure it's going to look awesome but dear god if that thing is scaled will it be heavy. I built a BR55 out of MDF to scale with three layers of 1/2" and the thing comes in just over 10lbs, I can only imagine the weight of a finished hammer and the support you're going to need for a head that size.

From a cosplayers perspective I'm going to nudge you into the direction of a different material so that you don't break 1. nearby objects 2. the hammer itself at the join of the head 3. your back carrying that thing for a couple hours at a time.

I can say that even made out of foam mine is unwieldy, but it might have something to do with the fact that it measures around 6' somethin'. While it is surprisingly light for the size, it's only 1/2" thick, and that made out of wood is going to be pretty gosh darn heavy.

Unless this is a wall-hanger, please avoid MDF. At these sizes and weights, you may as well have made a real gravity hammer. I'm usually guns-ho about realistic props and such, but if your brother drops this, or mishandles this, it's gonna bludgeon someone in the head and give them a concussion. The length of the handle doesn't help either, it'll be almost impossible to hold and pose with. Not to mention you won't get much detail, most saw blades are gonna give you tear-out on all of the edges, which you shouldn't sand without a respirator.

And don't say I don't know what I'm talking about, I've handled, cut, sanded, and painted MDF. The one time I didn't wear PPE, the dust from sanding it gave me a horrid nose bleed and cough, and my nose was burning like I'd snorted a line of salt. This is not the project for that material. Use extruded insulation foam, it'll be much safer and lighter. Save the MDF for the rifle/pistol builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back