Spam PM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blondiebot

I'm still relatively new to the site, but wanted to ask about spam messages. I had an individual send me a PM, he asked me if I could unfold some 3D models, and included links to them. I looked at his profile, and I noticed it was a newer account and he has never posted in the forums. I decided this was probably spam and likely contained viruses, so I reported the PM and deleted. I just wanted to see if anyone else has encountered this. Am I being to cautious, or did I do the right thing?

If the links were suspect, then you likely did the correct thing. With that said, there are a number of 'freeloader' accounts on the forums from people who sign up simply to leech from the community and make requests without the intention of giving back - my inbox tends to be inundated with such requests, which I generally simply delete and ignore.

I wouldn't think much of it, honestly.

Upvote 0
Nor would I. As well we should remember that we have some younger people here who may not be totally versed in forum etiquette.

Upvote 0
Speaking of forum etiquette, Iv'e also noticed an upsurge in necro-replies to old......ancient even.......threads by newbies. I can say that when I first started here.....all of 3 months ago.....I probably did the same until I was informed of my faux-pa. We shouldn't deter people from reading old posts, but is there a way to lock out new posts on old threads? Aside from the author and administration that is? Just a though on cutting down on the manusha.

Upvote 0
Speaking of forum etiquette, Iv'e also noticed an upsurge in necro-replies to old......ancient even.......threads by newbies. I can say that when I first started here.....all of 3 months ago.....I probably did the same until I was informed of my faux-pa. We shouldn't deter people from reading old posts, but is there a way to lock out new posts on old threads? Aside from the author and administration that is? Just a though on cutting down on the manusha.

I believe we had some discussion regarding this subject back when the forum was taken over by Art Andrews - the general consensus, as far as I can recall, was that locking dead threads is more trouble than simply teaching new members forum etiquette. Aside from having to set up an exception to auto-lock threads past a certain age or have a team of staff ready to lock and prune threads past a certain age, it's also a problem for members that return from hiatus and want to re-open their old project threads.

Upvote 0
ok, just spit-balling here. Not everything turns in to gold. Perhaps a generic entry e-mail indicating certain dos and don'ts? Side note: Like the new avatar. Very Manga-Punk.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back