Lazarus's Halo 5 Centurion project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet,sweet, sweet! Love the blue

Honestly, I miss my Gray, but the store I buy from ran out of gray, so I went to black... then they ran out of black so now I'm on blue. Next in line is either red or green... damn these supply issues!

A bit off topic, but where I am very new to the 3d printing world, just a quick question. Pla or abs? Do light colors print better than dark colors? Have you ever used pet filament? I am a bit interested in the pet filament, I have read that it bridges really nice and you can grind up plastic water bottles and make your own. Just wondering, knowledge is power:D

I haven't noticed any difference in print quality between colors, and I mainly use PLA. my brother uses a bit of ABS, and NGen (way better than PET) NGen prints like ABS (temperature wise, like 230 C Hot end, 80-100 C Bed) and makes a VERY nice and strong print. When I install my dual extruder hot end, my X carriage will be printed from NGen. Though it is a good bit more expensive than the PLA I use.

Here's the carriage with no sanding or finishing of any kind.
20160204_075846000_iOS.jpg

As far as grinding down water bottles to use as recycled filament, I'd probably stay away from that.... while economical, you don't know exactly what each bottle is made up of and if you throw in 2 different brand's bottles, it could produce some nasty failures in the filament. Plus you'll have to do a lot of experimenting with the temperatures to get it printing right and having good layer adhesion.

So true. I'm just searching for as much info as I can get. I have read a couple of books on it and a ton of Internet sites as well. I just want to make sure that I am using good stuff when I start to print. Also that carriage looks good.

Daily update time!
So the front half of the one side finished printing, I got half of the back printed, and that will complete the right side of the chest piece. (Should be done printing tomorrow afternoon.) so there's that. Also, my strapping system that I innovated and included in the pieces turned out quiet successful despite me ball-parking some of the numbers.
20160204_225738000_iOS.jpgHere's the solid bit of the chest.
20160204_230052000_iOS.jpgTop bit of the shoulder piece that will have the Male end of the strap (obviously)

The right side of the breast plate is fully done! I just need to clean up the friction welds. The left side is on the printer now, should be done by Sunday. Then I get to move on to the back portion! I already ordered a hefty amount of filament to prepare for the upcoming massive pieces, so I should be able to crank out each side fairly quickly. (hopefully 1 side in 3-4 days)

20160205_150803000_iOS.jpg

I just got the boots I'll be using in, and I got a nice stack of magnets for attaching various pieces of armor. I'm gonna start working on the boot models and once the Chest is done, start working from Feet to Shin to Thigh, and then, once all of those are done, the suit will be fully printed. then its all finishing

I see you're doing some serious progress! :D
That chest piece is coming together really nicely :D

The breast plate will be done printing tomorrow at about 11AM EST. I've got the last 2 pieces for it on the printer now with 12.5 hours left. My printer has literally been going virtually non-stop for the last 4 days, and it wont get a break anytime soon. I crunched some numbers for the back section and the thruster packs, and those should run me about 1.5 rolls of filament per side, and each side will take approximately 4 days of straight printing each. So another solid week plus of non-stop printing.

I also finished modelling the boot pieces and picked up some awesome foam for my forearms. Once I'm feeling ambitious enough, I'll start modelling in a ratchet strap and hinge system for my Shin and Thigh pieces (similar to how I'm doing the Chest strap system) So that'll be another adventure I look forward to embarking on. but after that, this suit might as well be done. Just a lot of coating, a metric ton of sanding, and some quick spray painting to do.

yay progress!

20160207_214336000_iOS.jpg

The breastplate is finished printing! I'm already working my way through the back pieces, though those will take a considerable amount of time (Due to those pesky thruster packs) but I should be done the first side in about a week.... hopefully....

Update!!!

Half of the back section is printed and attached. it needs some minor clay work to fill in some gaps due to a new technique I'm using to try and conserve filament. (Using glue on the bed vs. using a raft.) so there was some warping in places where there wasn't enough glue on the bed...

I also started to paint some items, the first being the Railgun Payload. My next piece to be painted will be my Knife, followed by the M6H2 after some sand work. Progress is being made!

20160212_174846598_iOS.jpgPayload and projectile.
20160212_174616307_iOS.jpgProfile view
20160212_174629123_iOS.jpgBack view of Thruster Pack
20160212_174639667_iOS.jpgPlace holders for strapping mechanisms. (Parachute cord. Also going to be serving as the cable for the quick-release.)
20160212_174657855_iOS.jpgWhere the handles for the quick release will be.

Mini update: updated the first page, been working on the knife. heres the progress so far.

20160213_203539000_iOS.jpg

I'll be doing a clear coat, then using some spray-sealer and a sponge to texture the handle.

Looks so real....Fantastic!!! Guards at the Cons are really going to be all over you for this piece......

I assure you its plastic! :lol It does have a bit of a point on it though. I clear coated it last night, which is now dry, so I can put that spray-rubber on the handle today (providing it lets up snowing for a bit) Other than that, I'm just waiting on more filament to finish up the last 2 pieces for the back.

So the Flex-Seal (actual name of the stuff) cured a lot faster than I thought it would, and the knife is now finished. Here's a nice pic showing the texturing on the handle, and it actually feels like a hard-rubber grip. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
20160216_013755718_iOS.jpg

Edit: I also plan on doing something like this for the bottom portion of the Railgun. Just trying to figure out exactly how I could spray-paint over it, add the clear-coat for durability, and maintain the texture... I'll be experimenting with it in the near future.

So the Flex-Seal (actual name of the stuff) cured a lot faster than I thought it would, and the knife is now finished. Here's a nice pic showing the texturing on the handle, and it actually feels like a hard-rubber grip. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
View attachment 23716

Well the flex seal is liquid rubber so yeah....it would feel like rubber :wacko. I have used this stuff to great satisfaction in repair work but this is the first I'm hearing of it used in this manner. Great thinking outside the box. Looks Fantastic!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back