New member and first build advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin508

Hello Comrades,
I'm about to start working on my full armor set! I'm planning on using epoxy resin and woven fiberglass as well as Rondo for added detail.
I had a few ideas for the final production of my suit, please tell me what you guys think!

1: water cooled under suit, and air cooled helmet
2: LED lighted armor pieces
3: full plastic and tinted visor
4: magnets in the thighs, back, grenades, and weapons
5: removable combat knife (reach style)
6: armor ability (Promethean Vision)
7: AI chip and expansion slot
8: custom camo paint job

I relies that there are a lot of things to do for a first build, but I hope ill never have to do another one, so I'm going big and doing it right.
Any and all advice as well as tips, tricks, and any other info is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Hello Comrades,
I'm about to start working on my full armor set! I'm planning on using epoxy resin and woven fiberglass as well as Rondo for added detail.
I had a few ideas for the final production of my suit, please tell me what you guys think!

1: water cooled under suit, and air cooled helmet
2: LED lighted armor pieces
3: full plastic and tinted visor
4: magnets in the thighs, back, grenades, and weapons
5: removable combat knife (reach style)
6: armor ability (Promethean Vision)
7: AI chip and expansion slot
8: custom camo paint job

I relies that there are a lot of things to do for a first build, but I hope ill never have to do another one, so I'm going big and doing it right.
Any and all advice as well as tips, tricks, and any other info is appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Neodymium magnet work wonder I put some in the right thigh piece on my suit for the M6H2 I'll be carrying
DSC08823.JPG

Read, read, read then go back and read some more. Do plenty of test pieces and build up your patience. Doing a build and doing it right the first time......2 different creatures. good luck and good building. Welcome to the 405th.

Update

I have chosen all the files for my armor set!
If you wish to view the chosen files!
the pictures are in my Album: Armor files
come have a look and tell me that you think, and also if you may be able to help.
two of the files are missing mirror opposites, so im looking for someone that has a link to the mirrors, or can make them.
Thanks for your time!

Pepakura can print the files regular or mirrored (inverted?) I don't know how exactly, but you should be able to find some threads about it through the search bar at the top. Or just clicking through the options in Pepakura. Have some fun with it! :D Good luck!

Oh, also download pepakura designer. Many more options and still free. http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/ Click on the red down arrow.

I am excited to see how this goes for you, keep us updated. If you do find magnets that workout for you let us know! Happy Building

I'm shopping for mats and I noticed that there are many different weights to card stock. What weight is standard, and what do you guys recommend for the least amount of bow, flex, or warping during build, resin, fiberglass, and rondo stages?

I've used 110 lb in most of mine and they hold up pretty well, though most people seem to go heavier in some projects

Another question I had was how do you guys attach/hold armor to the under suit? can you remove the pieces so you can wash the suit, or are they permanently attached?

Depends on what you favor. I think most of the people here do not attach the armor pieces to the undersuits in a permanent way.
Enough armor pieces simply can't be fixated to the undersuit prior to suiting-up as they have to be "opened and closed again" to get into them anyway.

Fixation is generally done by several different ways, sometimes in combination, depending on type of build, position and weight of the parts.
Magnets fixated to the undersuit in "pouches" if you will is one way, Velcro pads, Belts, push snap buttons on the armor and undersuit... you name it. Whatever works for you and you feel comfortable with.

Myself, I'm using neodynium magnets and vecro strips on the undersuit and corresponding counterparts on the armor pieces.
Makes washing the undersuit totally incompatible with our washing machine though. :)

One of Adam's video's showing a classic approach that has been copied a lot by many people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question, I'm fairly new to this site and to pepakura in general. Isn't there a setting that places numbers on the files so the user can know exactly where to glue the pieces together? Also if there is why don't more people use it? Don't get me wrong I love the fact that we can share and print off all of these files that we need.

Quick question, I'm fairly new to this site and to pepakura in general. Isn't there a setting that places numbers on the files so the user can know exactly where to glue the pieces together? Also if there is why don't more people use it? Don't get me wrong I love the fact that we can share and print off all of these files that we need.
Hi DustyBubby, glad to have a New Recruit to the community. Yes there is an option in the Pepakura Designer Program under the 2D menu pull down. Hope this helps. (Word of advice, don't post on threads that haven't been active for an extended amount of time. Research is always an option and asking in your own threads is also an option. This is somewhat looked down upon in the community but you're new so no worries.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back