Introducing DrPyro (new guy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpyro

Hi all. Looks like I may found a home for my new cosplay passion. Here my first attempt at a fiberglass version of "Brother Philostogen" a Black Templar Chaplain. I wore this suit at GENCON 2015 (which was my third GENCON. I have attended the 2015, 2014 and the very first GENCON (long time ago.) I have played DND with a guy known as Gary Gygax (shows my age). I am a retired LTC from the US Army Rangers with a 28 year career. I also have been involved in a 42 year career as a research scientist for pyrotechnics and explosives. Even managed to be lead shooter for my home town's 4th of July fireworks show for 10 years. I will post some pics of costumes I have made just for fun and not for any particular convention. Hope I can add something to the mix and I am always open to learning new stuff (especially from EvilTed) 932.JPG

Here is my first attempt with foam. After lugging around a 55 pound Warhammer costume for 4 hours, foam is soooooo much better. While wearing the Black Templar costume, the shoulder harness D-ring broke. It dropped the belt into the thighs, which dropped into the shins, which dropped into the shoes. That is where I stood for the remainder of the day, frozen in space with my legs locked. I finally took off the costume and sat next to it for a while.12647231_1418532854828887_3521877114833108853_n.jpg925.JPG925.JPG

Turns out, my next door neighbor's girlfriend was a Baltimore Colt's Cheerleader. That is here on the right. When I found out, I visited them wearing the costume. It is "Joe Avian", a Baltimore Raven from the year 2050. It is all foam with a fiberglass halo helmet and a faceguard to make it look like a football helmet. The shoes have a 3" lift under them, and another 3" was added to the bottom of the shoe. Always take photos with petite women/guys to make your costume look more impressive.Joe and Holly.jpg

Hey Drpyro! Those are some awesome looking costumes you've built! I definitely agree on foam being an awesome medium to work with, though pepakura and fiberglass do have their merits.

Just a heads up, if you are updating a thread within a few hours and it hasn't yet been commented on, I'd recommend using the edit button on your last post to add new content to it, as double posting is somewhat frowned upon in forum communities. It keeps things nice and organized in your thread, and keeps things from getting cluttered!

Welcome to the 405th, I'm stoked to see what other costumes you may build in the near future.

Super advice! Thanks for helping me get the "feel" of posting. i am still learning all the buttons as well as the protocol. I had just received a message on my phone from another member that advised me to post...so I went a little nuts. Keep those protocol guides coming and I will continue to learn how all this works.

Welcome to the 405th! Your stuff looks amazing.

Hey drpyro, love the Brother Philostogen suit. Welcome to the 405th. I can't wait to see what you come up w/ next.

Found an old photo of the Warhammer suit after the fiberglass and before the painting. Turns out my first lesson to share is to be certain the area of the chest piece is close enough to your body to allow your arms to hang naturally. I failed to do this and wound up with bad bruises under my arms where the fiberglass pinched my skin whenever I dropped my arms.593.JPGThe original helmet was too small (my chin stuck out the bottom) so I increased the size 20% to get what I needed. Big head, I guess. I am currently working on a Gul'Dan World of Warcraft costume for GENCON in August in Indianapolis. I will start looking into a HALO type suit after that.

Is there any conventions to attend near the Baltimore area this year? I heard that the SCIFY one moved to Washington DC this year (YUCK).

I just finished posting all of the 2016 Con for the Colonial Regiment areas that I could find. There are several in MA. Check out the list: 2016 Events

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back