First Build. ODST.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chiefmartin650

Alright so I'm going to start making Halo Cosplay. I never done anything this big before, the only thing i've made before out of EVA was Yangs weapon from RWBY.
So i saw a great video on making this kind of armor by Andrew DFT. So im going to do what he shows in the video, but i'd like, no im sorry, i'd love for your comments on what to do before or/and during the make of the suit. I'd love tips on what i should do or cool ideas on a great way to make something on the suit to just give it that good look. My goal is to make this for Anime Expo 2016, which is in July.

Welcome to the 405th.

There are so many sticky tutorials on how to work w/ foam I can't pin down one. Every one here has tip and tricks you can glean from. There is no "END ALL BE ALL OF FOAM MASTER". The most fundamental tip is read, read and read some more. Search YouTube for any tutorial video. Keep a sharp blade, build test pieces, be patient, learn from your mistakes (there will be many) and don't be discouraged. Post pics so we can see your progress and help when/where we can if asked.

Which Anime Expo? State?

Welcome to the 405th.

There are so many sticky tutorials on how to work w/ foam I can't pin down one. Every one here has tip and tricks you can glean from. There is no "END ALL BE ALL OF FOAM MASTER". The most fundamental tip is read, read and read some more. Search YouTube for any tutorial video. Keep a sharp blade, build test pieces, be patient, learn from your mistakes (there will be many) and don't be discouraged. Post pics so we can see your progress and help when/where we can if asked.

Which Anime Expo? State?
Thank you, I'm very excited to build this, and man i have about 20+ videos on a playlist on Foam builds, so hopefully i can watch and get a better understanding on what to do when it gets tot that point in the build. Anime Expo is in California in July 2016. At the LA convention Center. This will be my 8th year going to AX. But first year of a Halo Build.

Ahh.. You'll be requesting entry to the Pacific Regiment soon. Glad to have you in the 405th.

You"ll have to find the CO of the Pacific Regiment. Request entry. Regiments have some pre-requisites like 30 days/50 posts. You'll have to ask your future CO.

I might need help one the material list and help on the sizing, im not good at free hand. When Andrew DFT made his armor he just free hand on the sizing for his armor.

I also free handed mine. what are you using? foam or pep. i didnt use pep so if your using pep i cant help you but with foam i can. If you need help let me know!

Best of luck mate!
I dont know a lot about foam, but i have had some experience with pepakura. Tell us if you ever need anything!
PS: one of the most important things is to NEVER, and i mean NEVER to give up.
I see you are a fan of rwby.
So let me gather some halo / rwby soundtracks for you to listen to while you're at it.
How about it? :D

Here goes!
RWBY:
Halo:
(reach is a personal preferance but everything works i guess)
Good luck out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck mate!
I dont know a lot about foam, but i have had some experience with pepakura. Tell us if you ever need anything!
PS: one of the most important things is to NEVER, and i mean NEVER to give up.
I see you are a fan of rwby.
So let me gather some halo / rwby soundtracks for you to listen to while you're at it.
How about it? :D

Here goes!
RWBY:
Halo:
(reach is a personal preferance but everything works i guess)
Good luck out there.
HAHA RWBY FOR LIFE! thank you, ill try my best, ill post updates on it when making it

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! I suggest contacting Jimmy Da Moose for his ODST glove kits.
Do you have a Link?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so does anyone have a file for the ODST buckles? I'd like to make them myself. il_570xN.855662079_866m.jpg

So im trying to get my funds all together, how much do you think all my Material will cost me?
-EVA Foam
-Crafting Knife, with extra blades
-heat gun
-glue gun, plus extra glue sticks
-crafting paper, for the stencils
Here are the videos im going to be using to make my ODST suit.
I just put all of Andrew DFT's videos into a playlist
its connected to my Youtube channel.
Give it a look i do airsoft/ work at that field
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcKYHGTgppBWrm_B_AgrBInVpCZ2vWqIu

So im trying to get my funds all together, how much do you think all my Material will cost me?
-EVA Foam
-Crafting Knife, with extra blades
-heat gun
-glue gun, plus extra glue sticks
-crafting paper, for the stencils
Here are the videos im going to be using to make my ODST suit.
I just put all of Andrew DFT's videos into a playlist
its connected to my Youtube channel.
Give it a look i do airsoft/ work at that field
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcKYHGTgppBWrm_B_AgrBInVpCZ2vWqIu
I mad exact same playlist when I was working on my own ODST DFT build, lol. It's cost me probably just under a hundred bucks, but that's due to having to get my foam from amazon since i live in a pretty remote area when it comes to foam suppliers, which added like 30 bucks to my final expenses. If you live in Cali, you could probably get all of that for easily under 90, or 80 bucks. One note though, I would advise picking up some really thin foam sheets, known in the community as "foamies" for fine detailing. One or two small sheets of that thin foam will make a huge difference, as there are a few points in his tutorial where you have to slice some foam on it's edge to get a thin piece, which is hard for those of us with exacto/scapel blades that don't cut that deep.

For the stencils, I actually got a massive roll of butcher paper wholesale for like 10 bucks at a used store, and it was immensely helpful for drawing out the torso templates, since i didn't have to tape together a million different pieces of paper. If you could lay hands on a big roll of paper, it would save a lot of frustration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back