Not open for further replies.

Jumper

12658053_1128386090528027_7136769667256187806_o.jpg
Currently waiting for payday to move any further

Some things im having trouble with:
- I have no idea on how to do the visor. Making it mirror, but see through
- Making things a little more precise and clean
- Finding room to put everything once i finish making each part

Update I have added temporary padding and cut out the visor to aid in planning and measuring.
12661900_1129789397054363_6933593544494311308_n.jpg
(excuse my crazy gay fiance in the red)

Things i plan on doing:
Adding bluetooth headset inside
adding cooling fans in front (it already gets pretty hot inside)

No problem! That's what we're all here for.

As for your other questions:

- Making things a little more precise and clean
What are you having trouble being clean and precise? From your first pic, it looks like you might be using tape?? That won't hold up to the hardening process very well. Try superglue, tacky glue, or hot glue.

- Finding room to put everything once i finish making each part
I picked up a plastic storage bin, they can be expensive but if you look around you can find one for under $15 no problem and they are pretty useful. Not quite big enough for the chest piece, but nice to keep the rest out of the way.

Keep up the great work!

So how to I prepare my helmet for hardening with the tape. any ideas?
next piece i plan to use either paper sticky labels and hot glue combination

No problem! That's what we're all here for.

As for your other questions:

What are you having trouble being clean and precise? From your first pic, it looks like you might be using tape?? That won't hold up to the hardening process very well. Try superglue, tacky glue, or hot glue.

I picked up a plastic storage bin, they can be expensive but if you look around you can find one for under $15 no problem and they are pretty useful. Not quite big enough for the chest piece, but nice to keep the rest out of the way.

Keep up the great work!

So how to I prepare my helmet for hardening with the tape. any ideas?
Hmm. That's a good question. You should post it here http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=26849 and be sure to mention what kind of tape you used and ask what kind of resin you should use. Fiberglass resin is just so toxic that I would think it would react negatively with either the sticky part of the tape or just melt the plastic part, but I don't know, it could be totally fine. Posting in the help threads is the best way to get a vet to see your question. Be sure to link them to this thread so they can see pictures, info etc.

Why the use of sticky labels and not just only hot glue?

the sticky labels give me the initial stability of taping, albeit with a paper medium, that way when i glue it stays still. i am rather prone to mistakes
Hmm. That's a good question. You should post it here http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=26849 and be sure to mention what kind of tape you used and ask what kind of resin you should use. Fiberglass resin is just so toxic that I would think it would react negatively with either the sticky part of the tape or just melt the plastic part, but I don't know, it could be totally fine. Posting in the help threads is the best way to get a vet to see your question. Be sure to link them to this thread so they can see pictures, info etc.

Why the use of sticky labels and not just only hot glue?

Lots of tutorials on this site, Whaledalt . Best advice is to read, use the search bar and read some more. Also visit the new recruit stuck thread.

Yeah Jumper, it's not looking good. From the research that I've done on it, the Scotch tape is not going to hold up to the resin. But, not much experimenting has been done. You may have luck with Aqua resin, but it's pricier. Looks like it might have worked with painters tape or masking tape, but the Scotch tape will come unglued and curl. You can try doing super thin coats on the inside only until you've got a good layer holding it together.

Best bet is to chalk it up to experience and give it another go. Most people make 2 or 3 helmets just getting the sizing right. All in all you're still doing great! :)

Oh and if you do another one, leave the visor part in. It will help keep the shape better during hardening.

any idea if coating it with something first would work? if so any ideas?

Lots of tutorials on this site, Whaledalt . Best advice is to read, use the search bar and read some more. Also visit the new recruit stuck thread.

Yeah Jumper, it's not looking good. From the research that I've done on it, the Scotch tape is not going to hold up to the resin. But, not much experimenting has been done. You may have luck with Aqua resin, but it's pricier. Looks like it might have worked with painters tape or masking tape, but the Scotch tape will come unglued and curl. You can try doing super thin coats on the inside only until you've got a good layer holding it together.

Best bet is to chalk it up to experience and give it another go. Most people make 2 or 3 helmets just getting the sizing right. All in all you're still doing great! :)

Oh and if you do another one, leave the visor part in. It will help keep the shape better during hardening.

- - - Updated - - -

no not really, do YOU? XP
Im just starting mine too! Looks great and btw do you know how to measure yourself to scale the chestplate?

- - - Updated - - -

He has a spreadsheet on scaling
might help ye
[url]http://www.instructables.com/id/Mjolnir-Mk-V-Pepakura-Halo-Armour/

[/URL]
Im just starting mine too! Looks great and btw do you know how to measure yourself to scale the chestplate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back