Halo 5 Hermes (Kelly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Termhn

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be cleaning up the H5 Hermes set for 3d print (helmet) and foam/laser cutting (rest of the armor).

Starting with the helmet; here's my current progress. I'm finishing up detailing on the visor (eventually used as a buck for vacuforming or worbla theoretically). Current renders:
untitled.7.jpg
untitled.2.jpg
untitled.3.jpg
untitled.4.jpg

That is coming out great, impressive. I'm thinking of majoring in comp. sci. is that where this type of project can be done?

Are you able to use the machines from your college to create this? If so I may need to look around on my campus to see if I can use our 3D printers. The precision that a 3D printer and laser cutter can provide would be an extraordinary step forward in the quality of builds.

That is coming out great, impressive. I'm thinking of majoring in comp. sci. is that where this type of project can be done?

Generally no. You may be able to take an elective that would do something like this in a comp sci major, but you would do 3d modeling mainly in two fields and for two purposes. The kind I'm doing and familiar with is what you might do in an art major about 3d design/modeling, and you also would probably do quite a bit of more CAD-style modeling in some engineering/robotics or architecture majors.

Are you able to use the machines from your college to create this? If so I may need to look around on my campus to see if I can use our 3D printers. The precision that a 3D printer and laser cutter can provide would be an extraordinary step forward in the quality of builds.

At my high school actually, but yes. Some of the 3d printers they might have at college campuses might be inordinately expensive to use, but if they have a makerbot-esque FDM printer then that would probably be fairly cheap. And most college campuses will let you use the laser cutter for free or very cheap.

If your college doesn't have them you could also look into using a local hackerspace.

I looked into it, and my college does offer those services! I wasn't even aware that they were available for use outside of class projects, so you have shined a whole new light on my costume making process and I thank you for that. How long did it take you to make that 3D model? It's really well done so far!

Over the next few weeks I'm going to be cleaning up the H5 Hermes set for 3d print (helmet) and foam/laser cutting (rest of the armor).

Starting with the helmet; here's my current progress. ATM I'm finishing up retopology top play nicely with SubDs and about to start adding detail.

View attachment 23524

Awesome, will you be sharing the file once clean up is finished? For pepakura that is?

I looked into it, and my college does offer those services! I wasn't even aware that they were available for use outside of class projects, so you have shined a whole new light on my costume making process and I thank you for that. How long did it take you to make that 3D model? It's really well done so far!
Sweet :) At that point I had probably spent like 5-8 hours on it.

Awesome, will you be sharing the file once clean up is finished? For pepakura that is?
I'll share it but it probably won't be ideal for pep. I'm making it with the purpose of 3d printing, so yeah.

High detail isn't a problem. If its unfoldable, its peppable! Plan on doing the Hermes for the wife when I'm done with my armor. Which might not be anytime soon, but its in the plan for the future. By the way, nice work on cleaning it up so far!

Starting with the helmet; here's my current progress. ATM I'm finishing up retopology top play nicely with SubDs and about to start adding detail.

View attachment 23524

Also, there's a much easier way to do this, without having to manually retopo by hand if you're going to 3D print it. Shell all the pieces in 3DS Max using the shell modifier if they have no thickness or insufficient thickness, then just import the OBJ files into Autodesk Fusion 360 and convert the OBJs into solid bodies. Bam, instant 3D-printable mesh. Then just boolean out the details and you're pretty good to go.

Where is the OBJ file for this? I can't seem to find the Hermes armor in the downloads archive. No files are listed. Been waiting to get my hands on the H5 Hermes armor files and textures for a while now.

Also, there's a much easier way to do this, without having to manually retopo by hand if you're going to 3D print it. Shell all the pieces in 3DS Max using the shell modifier if they have no thickness or insufficient thickness, then just import the OBJ files into Autodesk Fusion 360 and convert the OBJs into solid bodies. Bam, instant 3D-printable mesh. Then just boolean out the details and you're pretty good to go.
They're in the OBJ file section in Halo 5. I think it's in armor pack 2. http://www.405th.com/file-archive.php?do=download&downloadid=1121

Meh. Sure you could do that, but you're going to end up with a much more angular model and the topology is going to be very ugly if you want to pep it. I'd rather just put in the time to make the topology nice to get a superior model in the first place and then not have to do as much post processing.

There's a lot of different workflows you could use for doing this, but this is the one I'm most comfortable with and will give the best result for me personally. I've been looking into/learning F360 on the side and might try doing something with it in the near future, though.

Alright, here's a few keyshot renders of current progress. Very close on the helmet. (also updated first post)

Attachments

• untitled.4.jpg
    untitled.4.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 514
  • untitled.3.jpg
    untitled.3.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 556
  • untitled.2.jpg
    untitled.2.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 545
  • untitled.7.jpg
    untitled.7.jpg