Props Halo and Mattel strike deal & New Boomco Weapons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so given that the grey clip that fits into the hole is (with dart) about 6 cm, we can expect the whole MA5 to be somewhere in the 60 cm range, compared to the 1:1 size of 100 cm. It's still going to be better than the carbine, but probably not large enough for any of us here to pass it off as "proportionately scaled". Hell, if you wanted to spin this you could say that this might be their way of staying out of our market, hehe.

kaween You are not old! :D Just a high lever character! :D

This is what I don't get! While the Needler was still smaller... It fit and looked perfectly fine! So, why screw up big rifles?

Sithslayer78 Well... We have a photo of the AR now and it looks like it is small... like the Covenant Carbine. Again. But little bigger.

Well, judging after the parts of the toys on both sides, Spiker will be in size of the SMG or bit bigger. The MA5D doesn't look much bigger than the Spiker (in 1:1 Spiker has about 80cm while MA5D has 100cm)... so it isn't that good, it should have been bigger. Kiddie size. :/ But it has the ammo counter!

TF-2016-Mattel-Halo-015.jpg

Attachments

• TF-2016-Mattel-Halo-015.jpg
    TF-2016-Mattel-Halo-015.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 397
No no, that MA5D is HUGE and it's all just a matter of perspective and camera viewpoint and ... . Just like me not being old. :D

It's kid-sized alright. I feared/thought it would be approx Rapid Madness sized, maybe a tad bit bigger (so between 50 and 60cm) and I don't think I was all that far off.
So I'm not totally disappointed. My son's going to love this one, certainly after a paintjob.
But it won't be a solution for most adult cosplayers.

How cool would it be if we just could put that thing in a 3D copier, press"+40%" and let it crunch out a bigger copy.

Thanks for the picture, Mara !

At least my son will have another HALO weapon to tote around for a few years before he outgrows it......

I think they're great ,might not be full sized but u can give them a lick of paint and they'ed be really detailed display props.
But they don't look all that small to me.
But hey, thats just me!!:lol

Okay. Was watching Halo livestream and they showed us that.
Well, AR looks small on average guy. Without armor. So, to add armor and it'll be a kiddie AR, but it looks nice.
Spiker looks GREAT.
THAT ENERGY BLADE OMG!

ar5.JPG
ar1.JPG
ar4.JPG
ar3.JPG

2nd photo from the top, the AR looks to be a good size. The first photo, not so much in my opinion. Might look good on a thinner person, or if you have smaller hands maybe? Although I don't think he has really big hands for his size. In comparison with the Mg6 pistol, doesn't look to be a good scale ratio to the AR. I agree with Marawuff, with armor on, its highly questionable, and highly likely it would be to small. Unless your a kid. #Nothing against kids, I support kids doing cosplay!# And yes, the sword! Awesome!

While small for a above 170cm person, the MA5 isn't a repeat of the Carbine disaster for me. I think it still will find its way into more than one cosplayer's armory.
From a technically point of view, I think the MA5 is totally cool and it would be a shame not to pick it up and give it a decent mod/paint job and maintain the functionality of it, even if you're not into nerf stuff.
Better said, my son would be VERY angry if I'd break that gun while modding it.
Heck, I'd be angry with myself if I'd do that.

The stream can be reviewed here :
by the way.

So, one order for a MA5 (for my son), one energy blade (which I'm going to mod the hell out of = the shell is excellent. the lights are ... meh), and throw in a spiker for good measure. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
While small for a above 170cm person, the MA5 isn't a repeat of the Carbine disaster for me. I think it still will find its way into more than one cosplayer's armory.
From a technically point of view, I think the MA5 is totally cool and it would be a shame not to pick it up and give it a decent mod/paint job and maintain the functionality of it, even if you're not into nerf stuff.
Better said, my son would be VERY angry if I'd break that gun while modding it.
Heck, I'd be angry with myself if I'd do that.

The stream can be reviewed here :
by the way.

So, one order for a MA5 (for my son), one energy blade (which I'm going to mod the hell out of = the shell is excellent. the lights are ... meh), and throw in a spiker for good measure. :)

I dare to disagree. I'm 160cm and the AR would small on me. This guy isn't a giant, he is an average... So yeah, too small for cosplay, unless you're a child.
OR it could do a nice stand-in prop... Or to mount it on your back. o.o

But, aside from props for costumes, if someone is into the BoomCo/NERF playing, I htink it's great for them.

And yeah! I really hope they'll finally go worldwide with Mattel so I'll be able to get my hands on the Energy Sword @_@

Last edited by a moderator:
I dare to disagree. I'm 160cm and the AR would small on me. This guy isn't a giant, he is an average... So yeah, too small for cosplay, unless you're a child.

But, aside from props for costumes, if someone is into the BoomCo/NERF playing, I htink it's great for them.

And yeah! I really hope they'll finally go worldwide with Mattel so I'll be able to get my hands on the Energy Sword @_@
And for me a 6ft 1in guy it will be WAY too small.

I would very much hope so (...dare to disagree). If that wouldn't be the case and everybody agrees with everyone, this forum would be half the fun.
Its just _because_ people like you are the absolute majority on this forum DARE to disagree with each other and do that in an informative, friendly and polite way we have the ability to learn from each other.
God knows I've learned a lot in the short time I've been here, from you too by the way.

Anyway.

You know what's REALLY weird ? The fact that I had typed EXACTLY that point of view, alsmost litterally, at first (stand-in mounted on back if light enough) but I edited it out.
Reason : just BECAUSE it's not big enough, I wouldn't use it for that.
As the back of most armors are pretty massive, sticking a too-small gun there would even look smaller when you turn around. It should "stick out" the back.
But if you do that with the Boomco, it will end "halfway your shoulderblades" which kinda looks ridiculous as you will have the constant size reference of the gun vs the rest of the armor.
It's like having a Hayabusa Armor with a 30cm katana strapped on the back. Nope. Won't work, doesn't matter if you can't pull the blade or not. Unless you're going for a chibi approach. :)

But freely holding it with one hand as a secondary weapon at your side ? Unless you're towering over the masses, you should be able to get away with that PROVIDING you're facing a fitting audiance.

So in a way, I do agree more than you'd think at first glance. I just can't shake the feeling there's an overal feeling of disappointment as it's "again not full sized". Of course it isn't. It's a toy. It's meant for kids. That's Boomco's target.
And with that target in mind, I think they've produced a really nice toy which MAY be used by adults in the correct surrounding. I wonder if anybody really expected a half-way full sized MA5D from them ?
I was already more than glad enough it's no Carbine because anyway you look at it, it's way better than that .... thing.

For example : my CB88 is still "smalish" (it's about 10 cm too short to be considered full-sized for a MA5C), but if I'd have to walk around for a day with a CB88 which weighs about 7kg and has no kind of strap capability and I could swap that out for lets say a good looking, very light energy sword and a well prepped Boomco MA5 to amuse some kids ? Give ! Now ! Places where you know it will be seriously overcrowded and you don't want to risk damaging your +200USD replica or whatever ? Give ! Places where a AEG isn't allowed no matter what ? Thank you !
Even with my 6.1'/185cm body size I would not have any issues doing that. Getting out with the kids on Haloween with that thing ? PERFECT.

But If you're "going in" with a more seasoned or serious audiance ... it will fall short misserably.
Totally agree.

As for "going global" : don't see that happening overnight. Stranger things have happened, but still.

Halo isn't a "big item", certainly not in the future as it now is a pure Xbone exclusive and although perfectly possible no PC ports are in the works either. I'll probably _never_ play Halo beyond "Reach" because of that.
I'm not going to buy a console for just one game licence, be it Halo or anything else. I've never been a console-minded gamer so in a sense, that's understandable.
But I know at least 4 "Halo nuts" (not meaning to insult, just relatively speaking) who have bought a PS4 and not a Xbone because if they had to choose, the overall machine fo the PS4 just offered them more.
Meaning they abandoned the Halo licence, although being true fans. So if you loose those kind of gamers .... you're not on the right track, Microsoft.

Looking at the sales figures outside of the US, that means you're excluding a lot of gamers. My son is 12, he and his friends know "MC" from the Xbox360 mainly which did rather well in Europe. But the Xbone ? Only so-and-so.
So without global support for the product ... nope.
Also Boomco is said to cut down on their catalogue last time I heard (and the Halo Licence more or less goes against the current Boomco product politics of scaling down) going global on just the Halo Licence .... I don't see that happening.

Don't get me wrong : I'd like to see it too, but from their point of view, it's just bad business : the audiance these products are aiming at are not numerous enough, and the audiance that COULD be interested -gamers and Cosplayers beyond the target age of the Boomco line- won't matter anyhow.

So it's "Amazon" for people like us. Good thing they exist at least.

Ill be certainly buying these guys from a collector's perspective. But unfortunately the scale is a downside from a cosplay perspective. Looks like one of the great kits out there will be the solution for me and a MA5 :).

The Boomco AR could be somewhat suitable for someone who wants to have a basic prop that they don't have to make themselves, they only need to paint it if they want to.

Just bought the SMG as a last minute thing for my ODST. It will work, but it is very chunky along the receiver area and the "stock" is a tad chunky. It works if you need a quick repaint, but I'm definitely going to be rebuilding one once I have the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back