Scaling advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomburgers

Hey guys,

Im planning to build a CIO helmet and I need some help on scaling. I have measured my head and found it to be 24-25 cm in height. I put this into photoshop in addition to the helmet itself, and I can't decide how big the helmet should be. I have provided a 29 cm example and a 30 cm example below.
29cm.jpg30cm.jpg
My main concern is my jaw showing, which I feel would look strange. Should I scale the helmet to 29 cm or 30 cm? Or should I scale it even larger/smaller?
Thanks!

I'd say of the two, the 30 cm one is the best.
Could you post a 31 too?
Remmember that you will add a plethora of things on the inside of the helmet, such as fiberglass mat or whatever you're using, and foam or something to keep your head in the right place and make it comfortable for your self. Besides, a big buff spartan would look kind of silly with a tiny head. Just a little over wont be bad. Just a little less however may just be.
Best of luck! :D

Hopla, just lost my first attempt at reply thanks to Safari. *crap*

Pure personal opinion.

I think the helmet is too small, both of them. Jaw should be inside no matter what or it will look off, a bit like a kid wearing a helmet that he has outgrown. It becomes borderline silly like that.

Your helmet is better of being slightly too big than a tad too small. Too big can always be solved by padding (which you will need to add anyway to have a good fit and a comfortable feel). Too small can not be saved.
And when you're looking to add lights, fan/cooling ect, you'll be running out of realestate at the rate of knots if you start out with a small helmet.

OOPS :facepalm. I just realized that the head was scaled wrong in photoshop. Here are 28 cm and 29 cm ones that are fitted to my now normal sized head. Please disregard the previous ones!

28CM.jpg29cm.jpg

Sorry to keep bothering you guys, but does this seem too large? It is 30 cm in height, while my head is 24 cm in height.
30cm.jpg

would personally go with the 29cm.
Instead of scaling on height you could measure between your ears, becasue then if you scale on height it could come out that it won't fit. :O

Well, of those new ones, i think that you should get either 29 or 30.
Also, yes. I suggest you should measure from ear to ear.
Try to get someone else to help you.

I would do the 30cm. You're going to want to put a layer of foam padding on the inside and around the hole in the bottom to make it comfy and snug, and so you don't want it to be form fitting to begin with.

If you're going to go by height I like the 29 best. However, like has been said, I would measure the widest part of your head and measure the neck opening of the model to make sure you'll be able to fit it over your head. Doesn't have to be perfect, because you can typically trim out some of the neck, but you don't want to have to trim too much of it just to put the helmet on.

I think it depends on how you make the helmet, you're going to need a lot more room in there for padding if you make it out of something hard.

So far I have found that putting a fabric tape measure on the top center of your head and measuring down along the curve of your face to your chin is a great starting point for what the height of the helmet should be (if there will be padding) I think there is a youtube video out there of it.. Then check the width of your head, like other have suggested, to make sure your noggin is going to fit through the hole.

Other things to consider.. will it have a fan, lights, batteries.. those all need room too.

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with the 30cm as the helmet is a bit narrow for my giant bobblehead. I will make a build thread ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back