Attempt #2 - Fine Tuning My Technique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumper

Alright, so I have started over again. If you remember from last time I had used tape on the outside which prevented me from hardening my helmet.

After research and thinking I have made these changes:
  1. Only using a limited amount of tape on the inside to hold the piece together for gluing
  2. I decided that I will try using Bondo Hair for the inside after I harden the outside
  3. I will KEEP the visor piece on until it is time to make the visor
20160213_171356.jpg

Any advice or questions?

Attachments

• 20160213_171409.jpg
    20160213_171409.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 195
yes I have. modge podge, wood glue, elmers glue........it forms a nice hard shell. you could use it to seal up the inside and out before you us resin/fiber-glass and the tape shouldn't be effected. Tape it together, seal w/ glue the resin it up. Might work......I started building the low rez MC helmet from GameScaner (find it in the archives) and used Duco cement to attach the pieces and modge podge the outside. Then I fiber-glassed the entire inside. Like a rock now.

Omg thank you thank you thank you!

yes i have. Modge podge, wood glue, elmers glue........it forms a nice hard shell. You could use it to seal up the inside and out before you us resin/fiber-glass and the tape shouldn't be effected. Tape it together, seal w/ glue the resin it up. Might work......i started building the low rez mc helmet from gamescaner (find it in the archives) and used duco cement to attach the pieces and modge podge the outside. Then i fiber-glassed the entire inside. Like a rock now.

Let us know if you do and how it turns out. Good luck.

yes I have. modge podge, wood glue, elmers glue........it forms a nice hard shell. you could use it to seal up the inside and out before you us resin/fiber-glass and the tape shouldn't be effected. Tape it together, seal w/ glue the resin it up. Might work......I started building the low rez MC helmet from GameScaner (find it in the archives) and used Duco cement to attach the pieces and modge podge the outside. Then I fiber-glassed the entire inside. Like a rock now.

Wouldn't this prevent the resin from soaking into the cardstock though? It is definitely a good idea regarding the tape, but I feel like the paper model being sealed off rim the resin would make sanding and cleanup an absolute nightmare.

Don't know. But if you only tape from either the inside or the outside and not both, the resin would seep in the other way to get to all parts of the card stock. You would still need to harden the outside w/ something to work the resin/fiberglass on the inside w/o warping it. New technique being born? Who knows. Might work. Might not. I would try it. Working w/ Modge Podge and wood glue inside (and out) may open up avenues of building for those that can't resin indoors due to location/housing/ ect...ect....

Don't know. But if you only tape from either the inside or the outside and not both, the resin would seep in the other way to get to all parts of the card stock. You would still need to harden the outside w/ something to work the resin/fiberglass on the inside w/o warping it. New technique being born? Who knows. Might work. Might not. I would try it. Working w/ Modge Podge and wood glue inside (and out) may open up avenues of building for those that can't resin indoors due to location/housing/ ect...ect....

I agree. If planning to fiberglass, then if you only put tape on one side (either inside or outside) and then seal it with something like mod podge only on the same side that you have taped, then the resin will still be able to saturate the paper. I would be curious if you could substitute resin for mod podge entirely as you pointed out. Someone should try it. :thumbsup

I did make an Ancient Spartan helmet out of paper mache and wood glue. My kids toss that around the bacement all the time w/o damage and the whole crown piece is wood glue and paper mache. I made a ring of foamboard and then used a balloon to simulate the head and just kept layering on glue and paper. Its 2 years old now w/ no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back