Mesh's ODST BDU Mk2 (Camouflage MTP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesh

Hey all, you may have seen my previous thread I started around November on my Mk1, using templates from Andrew DFT.
Now, I have used different templates to make my Mk2! I can't remember where they are from so yeah but here are my pictures so far (I've pretty much finished oops)

Firstly, I'll show all the Foam pictures (unfortunately I don't have a lot but here you go anyway) to keep you in suspense of what I've done with it (You can always scroll down :p )

xFmP8I2.jpgThis is the chest and underchest section, it's messy in foam and it's not clean but it doesn't matter and you'll see why
spZ7sdn.jpg

Ckm29Aa.jpgHere is a picture of the Hip file I used, better quality than the chest but again, it could be the best foam in the world and I wont care ;)
1MT5slR.jpg

OZ0gLbh.jpgHere is the shin file I used, I feel it's too big but I've made it now so I can't complain, there is also a picture of the Knee guard next to my Visor to show how I'm not happy with the size :b
9ZFdGiz.jpg

Now, for what you've all been waiting for (maybe idk, you may hate me so...), here are the after pictures of what I have done to my armour so far :D

tBJmDad.jpg:D It's certainly not clean but I LOVE it!

FenrjAy.jpgI've added pockets onto the lower chest, which will be covered by the ab plate. They are easy to use and they hold up well :D
dtkNTnV.jpg

NTgJpUk.jpgThe top half of the chest slides over my head, while the lower half is visibly tighter, thus I added a zip to the back like a corset :D

KHksxtP.jpgHere is a before and after of the hips, it's a messy business but I still love it, I have tried to keep the detail where I can
ms6gOSR.jpg

2IkAzT5.jpgApologies for the blurry picture, but I did the Chest plate, and this was a possible location for my UNSC patch. It isn't there anymore but it's still a picture of my progress :)

v6k1RNk.jpgHere is a picture of the shoulders, This is where the UNSC patch ended up, as well as the union jack found on all British military camouflage in this location.

fHuv00g.jpgHere is the two shoulders, Chest plate and Ab plate. Most patches at this point are on and this is very near completion for the upper body :D

NTl9oxE.jpgAgain, sorry for blurry pics but here are the forearms. I used a Reach template for this as I liked the idea of having a Tacpad again :)
X3nIWvW.jpg

xF0Fnna.jpgThis will get confusing in a second, but here are two things I have added to the armour most recently. I nametape with my rank and callsign, and a British rank slide of the rank C/SGT. My logic is that C/SGT is directly equivalent through NATO rankings (E-7) to the US G/SGT. Therefore I can use it. (This is also the rank slide for the British S/SGT too, further reinforcing my logic). I've also added strapping to the shoulders using an old belt of mine :)

paLRLnl.jpgHere is a picture of the shin covered. I am not happy with the shins but seeing they are at my feet, most people won't notice the defects (hopefully)
1458691561524.jpgI also finished the second shin :)

rKusmiP.jpgThis is why I claimed it would get confusing, here is a test fitting I did two weeks ago, as you can see I have no name tape. I am aware that it looks messy, but the black shirt will be long sleeve and the hips will be aligned properlly. You can also see the hip plates and belt sections here, and I have added pockets to the hip sections too!

3NmT2vC.jpgJust to see what it would look like, I tried the MTP camoflauge underneath the armour, and I didn't like it much (however I used it for a photoshoot later that day). Also, the foam connecting the shoulders to me has since been covered.

y7VcWjz.jpgI finished my foam helmet :D

OcvTkZC.jpgMost up to date picture I have, armour completely finished :D

Thank you for reading! Any questions, feel free to ask :)

There will also be more pictures inbound, I will post below and also update here so if you subscribe you won't miss them!

Last edited:
Re: Mesh's ODST BDU Mk2

For the undersuit, I'd recommend going with something flat colored. probably like a Coyote Tan flight suit, or a brown undershirt and a pair of khaki cargo jeans. but it looks outstanding! great work!

WOW, instant suit.......Fantastic.

Quick update from my phone, I finished the Shins :)1458691561524.jpg

Its so simple.....Fantastic! Are you gluing the fabric on the the pieces? Or just wrapping and gluing the ends down?

I'm wrapping the Fabric and gluing the ends :)
Seeing I don't know how to do it properly it has became very messy in places but oh well :b

Try contact cement or fabric glue. Most fabric stores carry that. This way you'll keep a smoother outer surface. When it comes to the edging, you can cut the fabric to the corner of the piece and fold it over then glue it down. I've done this before and you get a crisp clean edge.

The glue is working fine, it's just messy where I've folded it over and the fabric bunches up :b

You have to just pull it a bit tighter. Difficult since the foam has give to it but, like I said, if you cut a line in the fabric from the edge outward, you can fold it over w/o it bunching up. Glue one side of the cloth overlapping the other and you will get those clean edges you want.

Alright, I'll try it soon seeing I have nothing better to do anymore xP

Start on the next suit.....what else is there? Just about done / my son's suit. Attaching some parts and done....then starting on my own......

I don't actually have room for another, I sold my Mk1 to a friend so :b
I still need to sort the helmet though, I don't know whether to respray the original a base colour, or make a foam one and cover it (I will be trying both)

Good luck.....and FANTASTIC build.

Send those pics to DARPA and get them to build a cooling system for the inside, I'd fight aliens in it any day.

Send those pics to DARPA and get them to build a cooling system for the inside, I'd fight aliens in it any day.
Funnily enough, a few of my friends have told me to send it to the MOD (Ministry of Defence), so I actually might ;)

ALSO, update!!

y7VcWjz.jpg

I did a helmet :D The black one is the one I brought from Headshot Props for my Mk1 (I had to reuse the visor) and the Camo one is a foam one covered in the fabric :D And while it has it's big flaws, I'm not bothered because I made a helmet that fits :D

It looks too cool.....Fantastic.

What do you think of this picture? Taken midway through the build :)

12443121_1070057213016223_1810274096_n.jpg

Hey all, quick pic (and double post oops) but here is the most up to date photo I have so far :D
I know in the previous picture I'm wearing the MTP underneath the armour, but I decided Black was the route to go.
What do you think?
OcvTkZC.jpg
yes that is a hidden blade :b

Hey all, does anyone know where I can get some decent magnets for slinging weapons on my back?

It depends on what you want to do exactly. You'll be looking at neodymium magnets or rare-earth magnets as they're called too as they belong to that group although in reality, neodymium isn't half as rare as the name suggests.

I got mine from Ebay (no surprise there). In terms of what you need : all depends on what you need to fix and how far the distance is between the contact surfaces.
I've seen people saying they use recuperated magnets from hard disk assemblies but honestly, unless you're talking "direct contact" level setups, I can't see those working if any weight is involved even with a thin layer of foam sepperating the two surfaces you're trying to stick.

To give an idea : I need 4 (!) 18Kg pull magnets to keep a plastic Boomco M6H fixated on my MKVI uppper leg plate in a secure manner. That thing weights next to nothing being a piece of plastic with 2 AAA batteries inside and half a centimeter of foam sepperating the two contact surfaces. They came from these guys : https://www.supermagnete.be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back