Props Type 14 Magnetic/Anti-Tank Mine (aka Assault Bomb or Grifball)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade AK

For my first cosplay prop I wanted to do something original but fairly easy. I think I accomplished at least one of those! Here is a short summary of my build. Up front, yes. I have both solid resin prop casts and foam (Nerf-like) orange casts you can play with.

If you'd rather try this particular build yourself, I've attached two PDFs to help. The first is a one-page version of this summary. The second includes the templates I made for all the foam and graphic elements. If there is interest in a more detailed walkthrough, please let me know and I can add to the thread.

Without further ado, my Type 14 Magnetic/Anti-Tank Mine as seen in Halo 2 through Halo: Reach...

///
Inspiration hit me when I found the perfect base, a Party City candy ball. It’s size is game perfect in your hand, already has a proportionately accurate lip around the circumference, and unscrews into two halves. The hemispheres open build options and also makes the build-up much easier since the hemispheres can be worked flat on a table.

IMG_7105.jpgIMG_1764.jpg

After collecting a lot of reference material from Halo 2 through Reach, I settled into Illustrator to measure, trace, font -match, and design. I printed everything out and did a test-fit by taping paper print-outs of all the elements to the ball. I went through a few iterations – mostly just making my scaling math match reality. When it all fit right, I made marks with a Sharpie.

IMG_1768.jpgScreen Shot 2015-06-11 at 11.37.05 .png

I cut all the ribs with the same template and then stacked them and sanded them together for uniformity. I measured and marked the sphere and glued on the foam with super glue and then sealed them. I used watered down white glue, but I recommend Plasti-dip. I used modeling putty along the edges to shape, cut, and sand a 45º bevel.

IMG_1864.jpgIMG_1932.jpgIMG_2264.jpgIMG_2275.jpg

I used various biscuit cutters to etch the seams between the bomb parts then carved them out with triangle files. I drilled pilot holes then the 1/2” shafts for the bolts. The bolts are 2” dowels with washers blended by putty. Superglue holds them in place and the back of the shaft is sculpted from more putty.
This was the first heartbreak! I used a 1/2" bit to drill the holes and it just isn't the right tool. The ball cracked on almost every one. I cried, I cleaned myself up, and then I found out how much I can do with superglue and putty. It was salvageable.

IMG_2339.jpgIMG_2352.jpgIMG_2356.jpg

I chose to mold and cast the bombs for two purposes. First I wanted to be able to reproduce and share the work. Second I wanted both a solid assault bomb for costume purposes and a Nerf-like foam Grifball to play with! Finishing the prop version really came down to texture and paint. I decided I wanted a rough-cast look like air-to-ground bombs, so I used a spray-on texture and then covered that with multiple coats of green. I brushed the other colors - mostly red and silver. I used a little gun metal to make the seams pop and weathered it all slightly.
Here was a second heartbreak. I finished the first one right before 20/50 in Daytona and in a hurry. I swear I let the paint dry, but when I arrived, it was smudging in places. I touched it up, more of the same... The lesson learned is that the spray on texture I used was not letting the paint adhere. It all worked out, but next time, I'll do better!

IMG_6120.jpgIMG_6408.jpgIMG_6706.jpgIMG_6762.jpg

///

So, anyway, there's more I'd like to do. I still haven't done the stenciling (stencils or decals on a sphere is hard!), I have an overly-ambitious electronics package planned, and I'd still like to cast many more prop kits and Grifballs if there's interest.

In the meantime... I just need to decide what's next!

///

Special thanks to Bungie, DragonCon, and my mom... Just kidding, but I do seriously need to acknowledge the giants on whose shoulders I stand:

Party City for selling something that made the whole thing easy enough to start: Green Ball Favor Container 12ct
Kyle Hug for sharing the details of his talented design: Kyle Hug - 3D Artist
KRS Props for the excellent molding tutorial:

The guys from the 964th for making Halo a valuable part of my life and the 405th for bringing it to life.
Em for being my friend, inspiration, and all around cosplay hero.

View attachment Halo Assault Bomb or Grifball Instructions.pdfView attachment Halo Assault Bomb Templates.pdf

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1768.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 11.37.05 .png

IMG_1864.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_2264.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2356.jpg

IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6706.jpg

IMG_6762.jpg

I have made around 6 grifballs over the past 3 years using the Party City gum ball method. One reason you might have had trouble with your paint adhesion is the plastic used in the balls is like a PEG type plastic, like what trash cans are made of it. It is designed to be flexible and to discourage adhesion. I found that sanding the whole ball with a fine grit sand paper, and then covering the whole thing in a layer of plasti dip helps. The plastic dip is flexible itself, and designed to stick to most surfaces, since it is a rubberizer, not a paint. The spray paint you use will then stick to the plasti dip.

Why haven't I seen these on the forums before?
Really cool prop. If only I could tie it in with my current build...

UPDATE//#DRAGONCON2016

The biggest improvement I made was the addition of audio! I found the conveniently size Tonbux bluetooth speaker fits perfectly into the fixture on the top of the bomb. Now I can hand it to people and trigger "Griffball!" and "bomb armed!" or just hand it to a group of Spartans while it kicks out "Mjolnir Mix" and watch them play hot potato.

The second addition was finally installing the light panel on the top of the bomb. It's one of the spare lenses you find in the handle of GI issue angle-necked flashlight. I used a Sharpie permanent marker for the sectors and rings and then glued the lens to the speaker grill of the Tonbux. Of note, if I then secured the assembly flush to the bomb, the audio was completely trapped inside. I used tiny strips of craft foam under the rim of the lens as risers to give the sound an exit. It doesn't work well outside, but at quieter events in side it's actually pretty impressive for the size.

For now the finished product is going to be a combination display piece and shop speaker on my cosplay bench!

IMG_4028.JPGIMG_4027.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back