Halo 4/5 Master Chief Foam build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan201128

So after losing to my family every year in Halloween costumes, I've taken it upon myself to come up with the best costume they have ever seen.

I'm going to be building the halo 4/5 variant of master chief's armor. You can't go wrong with the classic master chief armor, but something about this new look just seems more awesome. I'm going to try to mainly focus on the halo 5 version. I find the paint scheme more appealing on that version. There are also some parts in halo 5 that weren't as prominent in halo 4, so I'm going to try build those as well.

My method for building this is obviously foam, as the title suggests. I'm going to be using pepakura templates.

This is my first build. If anyone has any tips or suggestions, please let me know. Also, if anyone has any questions, such as what templates I'm using, please ask them.

Can't wait to see how this turns out. I love the 4/5 master chief armor too, something about the armor looking more tank like and angular rather than being more like metal muscles. Some people like to add a lot of detail to the build right off the bat, but what worked best for me was to use simple templates to build a structure with the eva mats and then go crazy with the details in craft foam.

So I've already begun work on it. I have completed the thighs and need to do detailing on it with craft foam, but that will come later. I have started to cut out the pieces for the forearms. I had to edit the template for use with foam, and I'm still going to have improvise with other pieces. I'll be posting pictures soon.

So after losing to my family every year in Halloween costumes, I've taken it upon myself to come up with the best costume those -CUSS!- have ever seen.

A worthy goal. Let's cut it back on the swearing though, please - mind going back and editing that out?

Lolz, sure. I honestly didn't think that was such a bad word, but I'll go back and change it.

We don't support swearing and cursing on the forums at all - I realise that you may have your own views on bad language, but please, try to keep it family-friendly.

Otherwise, I do look forward to seeing what you put together.

We don't support swearing and cursing on the forums at all - I realise that you may have your own views on bad language, but please, try to keep it family-friendly.

Otherwise, I do look forward to seeing what you put together.
No, I completely understand. It won't happen again.

So here are the thighs.
20160419_183611[1].jpg
They still need detailing, and i just got the craft foam to do so, but I'm going to continue work on the gauntlets.
Let me know what you think
20160419_183642[1].jpg

Pic is a bit dark and grainy but from what I can see......nice work. The edges are a bit frayed but that could just be from needing a fresh blade.....easy fix. Cut lines look very neat and straight. Well done for a first time build.

So here are the finished gauntlets. I tried to put as much extra detail in them as possible.
20160501_141846.jpg20160501_141930.jpg20160501_141944.jpg

Besides the glue leakage, I'm rather pleased with how they turned out.

Nicely done......pictures are better w/ light.........Great detailing......

Next I plan on working on the torso. It's hard, because I want to use the most detailed template possible. Problem is, the highly detailed one is impossible for foam. But the foam template is too basic. This means that, like the gauntlets, I will have to do custom detailing. However, I plan on using the detailed template for the jetpack apparatus on the back of the torso because it appears that it's compatible with foam.

Update time!

So I finished the torso, biceps and the shoulders.

Here are the shoulders and biceps. Ignore the strip of foam going across the back of the pauldron that's just to help it form. The shoulders are attached the biceps with glue, and as you can see by my extremely skinny and not well built body, I had to add an extra layer of foam just so that the biceps would fit me.
20160523_212542.jpg20160523_212551.jpg
It might not look like it but they fit me pretty well.
Also, look at how fabulous I look. I have a beautiful face :D
20160523_183937.png

That's it for now. Going to start working on the shins next.

Nice work!! Fantastic. You are really pumping out the pieces. You'll be done in no time.

You should hit each piece w/ a heat gun for a few seconds. I still see some fraying at the edges. or sand it down a but, either way it will give you a cleaner/smoother surface when painting. Any slight imperfection is enhanced after painting.....especially if you have a critical eye. We are our own worst critic.

You should always hit your foam with the heat gun - it makes the foam a lot more flexible, you can bend the foam to the desired form and keep it that way to cool it down and foam will stay that way AND hitting it with the heatgun will also "seal" the foam, so you could basically just paint on it and the paint won't eat the foam.
Also, you can draw a pattern with a knife on the foam, like 1-2mm not enough to cut the foam, but to make it in there, and after heating the foam, the pattern will become a lot more visible.

You should always hit your foam with the heat gun - it makes the foam a lot more flexible, you can bend the foam to the desired form and keep it that way to cool it down and foam will stay that way AND hitting it with the heatgun will also "seal" the foam, so you could basically just paint on it and the paint won't eat the foam.
Also, you can draw a pattern with a knife on the foam, like 1-2mm not enough to cut the foam, but to make it in there, and after heating the foam, the pattern will become a lot more visible.

Not only to use to highlight patterns, but you can use it to create battle damage and minor-major scratches and gouges like you went to hell and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back