Anything that can be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentri

so, as of currently, all of my projects are on hold due to the fact that my printer has died and there is no chance of me getting one anytime soon due to having to pay a repair bill on my truck too.

My question is, is there anything that I can do in the meantime? I'm sure pepping can't be done without a printer and scaling probably can't either for that matter. I get the feeling that I'm kinda stuck...

so, as of currently, all of my projects are on hold due to the fact that my printer has died and there is no chance of me getting one anytime soon due to having to pay a repair bill on my truck too.

My question is, is there anything that I can do in the meantime? I'm sure pepping can't be done without a printer and scaling probably can't either for that matter. I get the feeling that I'm kinda stuck...

How about prepping an area for sanding, seal off areas you don't want dust in, clear a work space, grab a fan or two etc etc.

Fear not there maybe a way.

I'm sort of in the same situation when it comes to the printer. What I have been doing with my new build is taping(with masking tape) /holding paper up to my computer screen and very lightly with a pencil I trace the parts. Or to save a little time I trace the corners and make small dashes as to where the line goes, not tracing the whole thing. Once you have the outline and the dotted lines that represent the folds lay it down and with a ruler finalize the lines to create the template.

When I do this I scale as I normally would if I were to print it but I zoom in on the template side of pepakura designer,full screen and making the 3D model window smaller just enough I can see it and reference back as to were each part goes. Zoom in so the dotted lines that represent sheets of paper is the same as A4 or as close to it as possible. You may not get the exact size,it maybe a few cm larger but not to much. I hold up my Ruler to the screen measuring the width trying to get it as close to the size of A4.

A4: W= 21 cm H = 29.7 cm

I figure if I can scale it on my monitor that it can't be to far off if it were printed on paper.
It might sound silly but hope this can help. :)

If you have anything already pepped you could steam ahead with that, so hardening and sanding. Or you could freehand a gun or something out of cardboard

Thanks for the tips everyone! I honestly never thought of putting it up to my computer screen and tracing it. as for the gun idea, I could probably work on my Team Fortress 2/Deus Ex Widowmaker shotgun. as for halo guns, I might start with the pistol.

I'm new to all of this in general, so I planned on starting small. Eventually I want to get halo 3 armor done for a Tex cosplay.

your kind of stuck mostly. Thankfully printers are not that expensive. anymore just buying a new printer at Wal mart costs about as much as buying a single ink cartrige for said printer. Was in looking the other day and I think 40 bucks and even lower was available. And take my word I am debating it. I am not doing pep work doing foam myself. but I like using card stock to make my templates. And our very nice scanner printer suddenly does not want to feed card stock anymore. So considering just grabbing a printer for card stock work only.

Take your USB stick with pep files to a print shop or newsagent and they can print off sheets for you?

Take your USB stick with pep files to a print shop or newsagent and they can print off sheets for you?

While I have thought about this, unfortunately, I don't know how to scale anything using this program. I plan for there to be a lot of trial and error (mostly error), and I fear that this could get very costly in the end between gas and cost of printing.

I'll just have to keep on the lookout for a new printer in the meantime (once I pay off the $450 repair bill...). maybe I'll use my old M1300 tablet to trace stuff for a pistol. just to get me started with pepping. I plan on taking the foam route, and have some currently in my possession.

I also have hot glue and a gun, but I don't know how well it will hold. Does anyone use tape on the interior of their armor to help hold the seams or is glue usually enough?

I also have hot glue and a gun, but I don't know how well it will hold. Does anyone use tape on the interior of their armor to help hold the seams or is glue usually enough?

Hot glue is all you need. :) You can use tape, but most of them will dissolve when covered in resin. Tablet tracing sounds doable, especially starting with something smaller like a pistol or hand plates.

What kind of armor are you planning to make?

Hot glue is all you need. :) You can use tape, but most of them will dissolve when covered in resin. Tablet tracing sounds doable, especially starting with something smaller like a pistol or hand plates.

What kind of armor are you planning to make?

While Tex (Halo 3 Version) is my ultimate goal, I want to attempt the armor of Four Seven Niner from Red Vs Blue first.

Cool. I'm not familiar with the second character (I funnel my RvB intake because I don't want it to be over!) But Tex is awesome.

While I have thought about this, unfortunately, I don't know how to scale anything using this program. I plan for there to be a lot of trial and error (mostly error), and I fear that this could get very costly in the end between gas and cost of printing.

When you get here, look up some scaling tutorials. There are several and one might work better for you. Either way, before you print, use the Measure Distance tool in pepakura to see how big openings are going to be. Once I learned about that feature I never had to reprint a single pep.

Cool. I'm not familiar with the second character (I funnel my RvB intake because I don't want it to be over!) But Tex is awesome.

When you get here, look up some scaling tutorials. There are several and one might work better for you. Either way, before you print, use the Measure Distance tool in pepakura to see how big openings are going to be. Once I learned about that feature I never had to reprint a single pep.

Is that in the free version or is that part of the full?
Also, this is Four Seven Niner: Four_Seven_Niner_flies_Pelican_S9.png (the silverish/white one)

Nice. Cool helmet and I like that the chest piece kinda looks like ODST.

That tool is part of the free version. Also recently added to the free version is the ability to save it as a PDF which means you can scale on one computer and easily transport it to another one to print.

Alright, so, next step: Which version of pepakura is compatible with windows XP? My old tablet only has that for an OS and if I'm tracing stuff, I kinda need to know.

For small parts, I might just do the shoulders for this one first. I also figure that for the helmet and chest, I'll need to mod the ODST stuff to work (the naval pilot file on here does not open. I get an error message when running on my desktop, which is the latest version)

Good news on this! I went out and bought a printer, so project 479er shall continue!

I also noticed 479's shoulder armor is actually ODST hip plates. I think they did the same thing with Agent Florida. Do they have any full body views of her in series (if she's always in the pilot seat, you're missing half the armor)? Otherwise the best i can suggest is the promo poster:
62a231010d49097f8368b0d8099b20bd.jpg

d9f848991264ed892777a5d2a503676b.jpg

In this, it looks like normal ODST thighs and boots (no hip plates obviously) and a special stomach plate.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Attachments

• 62a231010d49097f8368b0d8099b20bd.jpg
    62a231010d49097f8368b0d8099b20bd.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 190
  • d9f848991264ed892777a5d2a503676b.jpg
    d9f848991264ed892777a5d2a503676b.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 187
Actually, season 10 episode 8 we see all of 479er when she is in the hanger talking to York and the team.

I remember that now. So, time to get going! There are already enough Spartans out there- i vote for the more original build.

Sent using Tapatalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back