Looking for a way to color clear plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eao1344

Hey yall, I'm looking to color the clear plastic on my Paintball lens. Is there a way to get it to look gold and have a reflective sheen without having to go out and but a new lens?

Hello eao1344 - we build costumes here just to wear for fun and as such aren't qualified to provide you information with respect to adding things to actual protective gear. I would suspect that a paintball forum would have much better information for you in this regard

Last edited by a moderator:
Paintball guy here. Go out and buy yourself a gold chromed thermal lens and call it a day. There's way too much moisture in a paintball mask for tinting to adhere and not peel quickly. You'll spend more money damaging your clear lens than buying a good one. Lenses are only like $40-70 anyway if I recall correctly. Not a huge expense as far as paintball goes.

As Fangs stated though, we are a costuming forum, and costuming doesn't mix well with action sports.

I wish it would though that would be awesome. I'm just waiting for someone that would have the money and have the time to make a suit of armor that can endure live recreational shooting sports. YES, total safety hazard to the user that may have the armor as it can cause miner to severe cuts; but, overall I just wish haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It could totally happen. The armor would need to be made of the same "high impact " plastic that is used in paintball goggles. Then it would need to go through tons of testing and certifications. Then mass produced and packaged for the retailer to provide for the customer. So, if someone had deep enough pockets and wanted to spend THOUSANDS of dollars on it, then yes it could be done. And yes, it would be sooooo cool!

Like Phil, I am a veteran paintballer (26 years) and just go buy a new lens. First off you don't want to mess with the integrity of the lens, and most of them now are dual curved, so it would be a nightmare to tint it. Not to mention tint would maybe last for a couple dozen shots to it before it started to peel.

Ahem.

Not to stifle your discussion, guys, but the law's been laid down. We don't discuss the creation or alteration of armour for sports purposes.

Ahem.

Not to stifle your discussion, guys, but the law's been laid down. We don't discuss the creation or alteration of armour for sports purposes.

Dang it..... Sorry Chernobyl.

I'm just saying ya that would be awesome tho. But I saw that thread where there was a guy that tested his helmet and it took a massive amount of damage to it. And you were in it I noticed. That would be great to add a safety page like that. Because now that I saw the pics to what would happen, that would be terrible if that stuff ended up impaled in your head or just a nice cut on your skin.

Hope that thread will be posted soon, I'd love to see that if anyone referred to my thread saying that I should make the helmet sturdy for that.

"Famous last words... Hold my coke this'll be awesome"-every patient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back