Props M247 build. <Jorge style>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusak3

Member DIN
S474
I found the files for this on the site awhile ago and dont want to necro a thread that has been dead for some time. Let alone want to try and keep a record of this build for people to show this monster can be done.

I am doing this as primarily a foam build. Several different thicknesses involved.
I am also making use of my band saw to make most all of the cuts to keep them very neat and precise also making use of the new armorsmith program to be able to know what degree's folds and corners need to be to set my band saw.
m247-2.jpg
m247-1.jpg
m247-3.jpg

This is the progress I have made this week while on vacation.

looks great......what is this armorsmith program you're talking about? Please instruct me.

looks great......what is this armorsmith program you're talking about? Please instruct me.

Sorry Dirtdives. for some reason yet again I am not being notified when there are responses in a thread I start.

But anyhow. Armorsmith is a program that is still in its alpha/beta stage that Ashuraa and I have been working with. In the long run it looks like the program will surpass Pepakura Designer. you can find armorsmith on face book and below is the link to them as well

http://onekura.com/blog/armorsmith/

Currently this bad boy is on the back burner due to final insanity repairs to my armor for Sci Fi. But I do have an update photo from when I was forced to stop at least.

m247update.jpg

Nicely done.....All foam? How did you get those cone shapes on the drum? As I might have to use that technique for my own......Fantastic!!!!

Nicely done.....All foam? How did you get those cone shapes on the drum? As I might have to use that technique for my own......Fantastic!!!!

The cone is actually 2 pieces of eva foam mat glued together. And again armorsmith came to my rescue because It told me what angle that the I was to make my folds at. In my case I am cutting all of the pieces on my band saw so I simply set my table to that angle and then cut the piece out. It is about as close to perfectly round and set to the correct angle as I can do with my two hands on a band saw. We wont debate how bad it would look if I had cut it with a hot knife.

for some reason yet again I am not being notified when there are responses in a thread I start.

I don't either. I have to subscribe to my own threads and check them that way.

Sweet gun. Looks like you're at a good stopping point, just detailing and sealing left yeah?

I don't either. I have to subscribe to my own threads and check them that way.

Sweet gun. Looks like you're at a good stopping point, just detailing and sealing left yeah?

Close but not yet. I still need to build the data ring drum which will add about 12 more inches to the rear and the ammo box. I have the receiver sitting mostly finished just need to close up one more side and then glue it on. I also need to build the framework which is my nightmare at the moment. I have the files for that cleaned up and ready for foam but for strength I am going to laminate foam to plastic sheeting I have to give the foam more strength to be able to handle the stress of being carried around

Sorry Dirtdives. for some reason yet again I am not being notified when there are responses in a thread I start.

But anyhow. Armorsmith is a program that is still in its alpha/beta stage that Ashuraa and I have been working with. In the long run it looks like the program will surpass Pepakura Designer. you can find armorsmith on face book and below is the link to them as well

http://onekura.com/blog/armorsmith/

Says the sight can't be found........

Says the sight can't be found........

Onekura is down for maintenance which is why it is not working. I remember seeing some comments on the pepakura fb page about this as well. May be a couple of days

Up now. Got it........going to play w/ this for a bit to see what's what w/ it. Thanks for the tip.

Okay. Got my armor patched up and decided to push through and get Dakka Dakka ready.

dakka 3.jpg
dakka 2.jpg

I got some paint on it since these were taken. Few details are not finished yet. Such as the Ammo Mag. But I simply do not have the energy left to get that done for Sci Fi. So it will be going without the mag. I will finish that up later. Also I need to put a few reinforcements in. It is heavy enough that it is hog backing under its own weight

Wow, thought this was on the back burner......2 weeks later and your almost done.......looks great!!!! how is the stability? Love the PVC hand holds.

Wow, thought this was on the back burner......2 weeks later and your almost done.......looks great!!!! how is the stability? Love the PVC hand holds.

It needs work Dirtdives. I was rushing at the end just to have it done. The handles need to be redone. Also with heat the barrel is wanting to sag Just to much weight hanging out there. Now that Sci fi is done I am going to be looking at what I need to do to strengthen the barrel and the grips. I need to sit down with it but I am thinking I am going to probably have to separate the barrel section off and put a piece of PVC pipe through the barrel and back into the feed and data ring sections. We will see. I have a couple other projects that are up front at the moment.

I know how you feel......I finally came to a decision on my own suit so I want that done first before I continue w/ the M247.

I was taking a look at Dakka Dakka this morning. And its not good. It has been sitting out in the shop all winter long and has sagged even further. Once I finish project Vera for Spike Bowan and get the New ODST bucket I am doing for myself out of the way. Which involved me getting my vacuum forming table up and working. Wifey got the heat plant issue fixed this week so I just need a new shop vac and a working visor buck. Which I need to print <boy this is turning into a serious work list blech. We wont debate the one commission I need to start on as well. I think I will stop now.> I think I will probably do a major strip down and rebuild most of my M247. I think I am going to be able to salvage the Data ring and drum feed sections. But the barrel is just to weak. Also now that I have my 3d printer up and working I am going to probably take a shot at 3d printing the grips and some of the other tiny pieces that I omitted due to sanity saving. Who knows I make a walk of the deep end and take a look at modifying and 3d printing the entire rig. Which will take a lot of modificaton to keep it from eating a pelican drop ship worth of PLA.

Dude, sorry to hear about the damage.....Is there any way to shore it up w/o having to start over? The material I was using as a lot of rigidity to but even still I was going to fill the void w/ the lowest grade of expanding foam. Perhaps if you open up sections that are warped, you could fill and put back in to proper position? I hate to see so much work put in to something and to just have to scrap it.....cuse I know that feeling all too well.

Dude, sorry to hear about the damage.....Is there any way to shore it up w/o having to start over? The material I was using as a lot of rigidity to but even still I was going to fill the void w/ the lowest grade of expanding foam. Perhaps if you open up sections that are warped, you could fill and put back in to proper position? I hate to see so much work put in to something and to just have to scrap it.....cuse I know that feeling all too well.
it is a possibility to be honest just got to go with the low expansion foam. It is primarily the barrel that is having the most issues and where it attaches to the data ring. It is a thought to say the least

Kusak3 I would look into running the PVC pipe through like you had suggested earlier, but instead of a PVC pipe use a wooden dowel, they are less likely to flex than a 1/2" pvc pipe. You might also be able to lightly heat up the end of the barrel with a heat gun to help move it back into a straight position too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back