First foam build. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caboose007

Hi guys,
So i'm kinda new to all this and i'm super duper excited to be cosplaying Caboose! I officially finished my first foam build piece of the left and right thigh piece/s and i'm pretty happy with how it turned out ^_^
But in regards to scaling, how would i go about scaling the torso? I'm leaving that till last and my next part i'm going to build is the codpiece and helmet! ^_^

Attachments

• thigh 3.jpg
    thigh 3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 163
  • thigh 1.jpg
    thigh 1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 144
  • thigh 2.jpg
    thigh 2.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 156
Here is a link to Halo Goddess's scaling guide. Just remember to add an inch or two to the measurements for the foam you are using.

HaloGoddess' "How To Scale" and More Tutorial
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php?t=31627

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

Looks good. I'd suggested try and harden it and then add the fine detailing to it then. And for the helmet I highly recommend pepping it to add the detail in. I'm not sure if you wanna go that route but it's looking good so far.

Can't wait to see the rest of the build.

Famous last words.... Hold my coke this is gonna be awesome -every patient known to man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I was also wondering about any tips and tricks/techniques anyone might have for painting the suit once it's all finished and what kind of paint to use/which one works best? :)

There are several techniques to painting that are mentioned here and many more on YouTube. I would first start doing a search and read read and read some more.

Well, importantly, make sure the foam is sealed before you go to do any painting. I learned this the hard way when painting the white on my SAO breastplate moons ago. A cheap and quick sealer is watered down white glue from the dollar store. I do a base coat of the stuff first and then my paint then an overcoat or two after to keep the paint from being damaged. It's good too for a glossy finish I found.

Well, importantly, make sure the foam is sealed before you go to do any painting. I learned this the hard way when painting the white on my SAO breastplate moons ago. A cheap and quick sealer is watered down white glue from the dollar store. I do a base coat of the stuff first and then my paint then an overcoat or two after to keep the paint from being damaged. It's good too for a glossy finish I found.

Or you can just use Plastidip. :D

Yeah, I guess plastidipping whole costume would be expensive as hell. x_X
Most likely, in my case I was just doing a few small pieces and a breastplate so it didn't make sense to go out and buy plastidip when I already had materials at home to use for the job. I'd also been doing research on foam sealing and that was one of the most common ones that came up on my search through cosplay tutorials.

Most likely, in my case I was just doing a few small pieces and a breastplate so it didn't make sense to go out and buy plastidip when I already had materials at home to use for the job. I'd also been doing research on foam sealing and that was one of the most common ones that came up on my search through cosplay tutorials.

I've seen many people are doing this technique. :D
I think it just depends what will you be using the piece for - if you need it flexible, go with plastidip, if it can/should be more sturdy and hard, go with the flue mixed with water. :D

I've seen many people are doing this technique. :D
I think it just depends what will you be using the piece for - if you need it flexible, go with plastidip, if it can/should be more sturdy and hard, go with the flue mixed with water. :D
Lol pretty much! The glue method has some bend to it but not a whole lot. I don't know about plastidip but I'd assume it to be more bendy as it's rubberized?? Correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption.

I am wondering why some people do both? A glue wash and then plastidip...

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

I tried plastidip on some foam gloves. HORRID RUBBISH!!! It went hard and crackly then all flaked and peeled off. Plastidip is not rubberised at all! It is HARD and BRITTLE!

I'll never use it again. What a waste of money.

Rant over.

SB

The more layers the better the durability? Doing a glue wash has its pros and cons while plastidip has the same. I haven't used plastidip so I can't say much in that regard but for glue washes they're pretty flexible for the most part and are cheap.

Me too. o.o

I tried plastidip on some foam gloves. HORRID RUBBISH!!! It went hard and crackly then all flaked and peeled off. Plastidip is not rubberised at all! It is HARD and BRITTLE!

I'll never use it again. What a waste of money.

Rant over.

SB

That's very strange, to be honest. It is supposed to be VERY flexible - basically a rubber. Some people tested it on car-parts and they peeled it off (it came off as whole) and they could have stretched it A LOT before it finally gave in.
Maybe... Maybe it was either old or something? :/ It is not supposed to be either hard or brittle, it's very very flexible... o.o

The more layers the better the durability? Doing a glue wash has its pros and cons while plastidip has the same. I haven't used plastidip so I can't say much in that regard but for glue washes they're pretty flexible for the most part and are cheap.

Not really! Plastidip doesn't increase the durability. It just covers and seals, leaving the foam very flexible. It leaves the foam as flexible as it was - you can stretch, bend the foam, etc.

Me too. o.o

That's very strange, to be honest. It is supposed to be VERY flexible - basically a rubber. Some people tested it on car-parts and they peeled it off (it came off as whole) and they could have stretched it A LOT before it finally gave in.
Maybe... Maybe it was either old or something? :/ It is not supposed to be either hard or brittle, it's very very flexible... o.o

Not really! Plastidip doesn't increase the durability. It just covers and seals, leaving the foam very flexible. It leaves the foam as flexible as it was - you can stretch, bend the foam, etc.

Oh! Thanks for clarifying :) Don't really know the reasoning then though usually the more layers used to seal the paint the longer it will last. That's basically the logic I'm going with for this one. a layer or two to seel the foam and then the rest to seal the paint. The glue seal makes more sense for a paint job as it dries clear but then it would just be simpler to buy matte sealer or semi-gloss.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information :D just one more question. Does spray paint eat away at the foam after a while or should I use normal acrylic paint? And I decided to go with the glue and water mix. Also what do I use to fill in the seams of the armour? Like where I've glued and cut and whatnot? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back