Props Transporting Props

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesh

Hello!
If I get the job I'm after, I plan on going to RTX in 2017 with an RvB cosplay - Agent Florida! (Even if I am in the European Regiment)

My question is, How would I transport an Assault Rifle and Grenade Bullet Bandoliers from the UK to America? How easy is it? Is it worth it?

Thank you :)

Hello!
If I get the job I'm after, I plan on going to RTX in 2017 with an RvB cosplay - Agent Florida! (Even if I am in the European Regiment)

My question is, How would I transport an Assault Rifle and Grenade Bullet Bandoliers from the UK to America? How easy is it? Is it worth it?

Thank you :)

I just moved from the UK to the US, so I have some experience with luggage and whatnot. I'll go into detail here so that others with similar questions might be able to receive some insight.

Firstly: most airlines will give you an allowance of at least one suitcase weighing up to 50kg before charging you an excess, though some (such as the provider I few with) will allow two suitcases up to that weight. 50kg is actually fairly generous - I managed to fit all of my clothes, plus an Xbox One console, into that weight limit, so. Weight isn't so much of an issue, assuming your props are fairly light and won't take up a tremendous amount of space.

This really leaves a question of legality. A little research through the TSA's security information reveals that realistic replicas of firearms are permitted IN CHECKED LUGGAGE ONLY - however, this permission is dependant upon your airline's policies. I'm seeing very little information regarding bringing replica ammunition and grenades through, however - although the TSA's information does describe real ammunition being allowed in checked luggage.

My suggestion would be as follows: arrange to have your replicas taken to the local police station, where you should be able to obtain a statement explaining that the pieces you're taking have been checked and certified as props only. Conventions usually require all props to have an orange/marked/blocked barrel to denote them as props, so try to make sure you've given your weapons the relevant treatment. After that, check with your prospective airline to ensure that their regulations meet with TSA standards regarding prop and replica firearms being shipped on their flights - and, be prepared to have your luggage searched, and inspected once you enter the US, Be calm, comply with all requests by the security officers, explain what you intend with the props. Otherwise, general common sense applies - wrap your gear up well to make sure it's not at risk of getting damaged in transit, and do your research before you fly out.

I hope that helps!

Cheers Chernobyl,
I know a simple google search could just as well answer my question but I much prefer the personal touch!
This is the guy I wanna cosplay for those who are wondering or unaware, If I do get this job I will hopefully be commissioning it so I don't know whether the grenades will be actual inert ones, or foam but the same rules would apply right?
Agent_Florida.png

And I totally appreciate the whole comply with all requests type thing, if it all was wrapped up in bubble wrap would they want to unwrap it?

Agent_Florida.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know whether the grenades will be actual inert ones, or foam but the same rules would apply right?
Exactly. Doesn't matter what it's made of - if it looks like the real thing, they'll treat it as such. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll freak out, remove your luggage to a safe location, and detonate it - you'll just need to be ultra-specific in declaring what's actually in your luggage. Make it absolutely idiot-proof without being too specific - something as simple as 'plastic replica of video game weapon' will suffice.

And I totally appreciate the whole comply with all requests type thing, if it all was wrapped up in bubble wrap would they want to unwrap it?

It's entirely possible, yes. Try to get TSA-compliant locks for your suitcase so they can be opened by security more easily - although, I have had instances where this has been utterly ignored and they just used bolt cutters on them, so I'd plan for this and take spares, just in case. With that said, generally speaking they'll simply haul you over upon your port of entry and ask you to go through your luggage and explain any articles they might want clarification on. When I entered the US on my K1 immigrant visa the TSA officer had me open up my Xbox One box, all of the vacuum-sealed laundry bags, checked all the pockets on my suitcases, so on and so forth. It took a while, so it may be worth trying to plan around this when you're booking your flights - the last thing you'll want is to miss your connecting flight if you've spent an hour or so having the TSA officer search your baggage.

In short: plan and pack as though you expect to be hauled through security. Make it easy and straight-forward for officers to search your luggage, so try not to pack up your props in a dozen layers of bubble wrap - chances are, if you're being randomly searched, the officers aren't going to be too gentle if they're forced to cut through all of that padding to investigate something. I'd suggest perhaps some cut-to-fit packing foam blocks, with that all packed into a cardboard box. It's worth remembering that, generally, TSA officers aren't out to give you a hard time, they're just doing their job - most of them are pretty friendly and just want to make sure everything's in order before they let you into the country. Make their job easier, and you'll be in and out before you know it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have flown with costumes and props over a dozen times to three different cities, including my Halo Armor and Props to RTX multiple times. Pretty much everything Chernobyl said is spot on, but here is the copy and paste of the advice I always give everyone:
When I fly with my armor I pack it into a rubbermaid tub that fits with in the “Checked baggage” limits without going into the “over-sized category.”

For most airlines this is a maximum size of 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. I drilled holes around the top of the tub and the sides to feed zip ties through to secure the armor. Zip ties are good becuase if TSA has to open the tub they just cut the zip tie and then replace it with their own zip ties. (The best thing to secure you luggage with in general is Zip Ties or TSA approved locks.)

The plastic tub is good becuase it provides a fair amount of rigidity and protection to your armor, but is also much lighter than most conventional hard shell suitcases. This is important becuase in addition to the size limits for over sized luggage, there is also usually a weight limit, somewhere around 50 pounds.

My armor is vacuum formed plastic, which means it is lightweight and therefore easily is under the 50 pound weight limit even when coupled with the tub and any extras I pack in with it. Also, becuase it is vacuum form plastic the pieces nest inside of each very easily, and compact down into the tub easily.

I also always place a document on top of the tub, so that if TSA opens it, it is right where they can see it right away. It lists my name, pone number, and what the costume is made out of, and shows pictures of the costume Front, Back, and Side.) Whenever I hand over the tub, either at the counter or to the TSA agents, I always also make sure to tell them their are replica costumes and non functioning prop weapons.

tumblr_inline_n8ksw3sfJC1qiy08t.jpg
tumblr_inline_n8ksxsl1Yf1qiy08t.jpg

Mesh,
Enjoy your trip to the States. All of the advice above is solid, the only thing I will add is that we are strict at CONs about blaze orange tips on replica firearms. The same is true in any public place regarding airsoft replicas. If you have your items properly marked before travel, that will also help ease your transit. Also check the rules of RTX on weapons and make sure you can be compliant with that venue's specific rules.

Redshirt

one other suggestion if you are concerned for you items while traveling. if you are staying in a hotel you can package up your props and or armour and have it shipped to the hotel ahead of time. contact your hotel, tell them you are sending a box to be picked up when you arrive. shipping items rather than flying with them will make your trip easier due to less hassle and you won't have to worry about it not making it there due to lost luggage. it may cost a little extra but the peice of mind knowing it's not going to get lost is great.
just talk to your shipper about the contents and youll be fine.

best of luck

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

Ditto!

I am shipping both my suits to RTX On the amtrak Express service. what would have cost 500 busk from Fed Ex is gonna cost me about 170 via the train.
I am NOT gonna trust my armor to the people at Delta ect ..

You know, I'll be honest here and say the only con I know that doesn't give two hoots about most weapons policies is Fanexpo here in Toronto. I've seen people carry metal props and they don't care.

On another note: I'm planning on attending Dragoncon and maybe RTX next year. Probs gonna get a bus down or ride down with my mom if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back